zofran pump

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by TrishaLinn, Dec 18, 2010.

1. TrishaLinn

TrishaLinn Well-Known Member

So, the doctor started me on a zofran pump and IV fluids daily. I had a home health nurse come in Thursday night to place the IV and teach me how to take care of that and manage the zofran pump. Anyhow, I'm having a really bad day today... I've been so sick and haven't been able to keep anything down. Does it take a while before the zofran pump starts to work? The pills weren't helping at all, so I'm just afraid the zofran just isn't going to be effective this time around. My IV had to be changed today and the nurse mentioned that if the zofran pump and IV fluids don't work that the next step would probably be a picc line. Picc lines scare me to death. I have no idea how I'm going to make it through this pregnancy.

2. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I am sorry you're having such a hard time. I was never on zofran, but I know that my diclectin took a couple of days to get everything under control and I would still have nausea from time to time. I hope it works out for you.. and just try to take this all one day at a time and remember that it won't last forever. :hug:

3. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

I am sorry. I didnt have anyting like that, but I have had a picc line. They arent that bad and do not hurt. To be honest I perfer it over being picked every 2nd or 3rd day for a new IV to be put in. Hope you feel better soon.

4. Cristina

Cristina Well-Known Member

I didn't have the pump, but I was on zofran for good chunk of my pregnancy. It did take a little while until it worked well. You can do it, I know it stinks, trust me. It will pass, I promise, though I know it is hard to believe right now! :hug: :hug:

5. cat mommy

cat mommy Well-Known Member

Have you tried phenergan suppositories? Not exactly pleasant, but better than a PICC line, IMO. And you cannot throw them up out of your butt. :laughing:

6. TrishaLinn

I've been on both the zofran pills and phenergan suppositories since 7 weeks when I started feeling nauseus. I had hyperemesis with my first two pregnancies right up until I delivered my boys, but the medications helped. This time around they just don't seem to be making a difference. The doctor said it's probably because this is a twin pregnancy that the meds aren't working as well since I have double the hormones. I'm hoping I"m feeling well tomorrow. Feeling like a pin cushion today between the IV and having to poke myself with the needles for the zofran pump. It leaves big red nasty painful bumps under my skin. Yuck! I know this won't last forever, but probably for me it will last until I deliver these babies. Right now that just feels like a really long time.

7. cat mommy

cat mommy Well-Known Member

The oh-so-fun phenergan suppositories can be increased to some pretty high doses and that can make a difference when the typical doses are not working. Like two suppositories at once type of thing. And :youcandoit: !

8. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

I don't have experience with zofran but I do have an insulin pump and the apparatus is the same...just make sure that you rotate your infusion site (usually from one side of your tummy to the other or one leg to the other) to stay infection free and don't get within an inch of your belly button! One thing that helps with the bumps is to make sure the pump is empty (or stop the flow) before removing the infusion set from your skin - if the drugs are still flowing it will tend to cause a larger bump...

9. TrishaLinn

THanks for the encouragement and tips everyone! Today has been a better day than yesterday. I've actually kept some food and fluids down. Though, the big bummer is that once again my IV is messed up. I can't seem to go for more than 24 hours without it messing up, so I'll have to have a nurse come out tomorrow to put a new one in. Hooked myself up to the IV and the fluids were running under my skin and have left a big sore bump. Ouch! I really hope this zofran pump works so I don't have to have this IV anymore. They have such a hard time getting the IV's in and it's no fun being poked multiple times each time!

10. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

I am sorry you are having such a hard time with the IV's. When you are dehydrated it makes it harder to find your veins, and the vein doesnt last as long.