yucky stomach thingy

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by PurpleNurple, Jan 12, 2008.

1. PurpleNurple

PurpleNurple Well-Known Member

I don't know what this is....but my dd started having loose bowels earlier this week and she still is going poo freuqently - complaining that her stomach hurts right before she goes. My ds has started going too, with big blow outs in his diaper and for the 1st time, actually pooping on the potty (I am happy about that...) Both seemed to be a bit "warm" to the touch, not a high fever I don't think. I am trying to feed them bland foods - rice, toast, apple sauce, apples, plain oatmeal, no juice, ect. My dd still has diarreah and I think my ds does too (hasn't pooped on the potty yet). I woke up with it this morning, but I can actually take something for it....
    What is this? Some sort of virus? I feel fine otherwise, the kids are themselves....just pooping alot and complaining of sore bums...and my dd says her stomach is sore - which means she needs to poop....then she feels better.

Obviously this is contagious....should we be staying in/not going out?? My hubby has gone out with our ds to get his hair cut, then he will be picking up some Poweraide or something. He said he had it a while ago...I didn't know.

2. ehm

ehm Banned

Sorry to hear this! I didn't see any mention of milk...............if you haven't already I might consider removing all dairy with the exception of yogurt with active cultures (good bacteria can help cleanse the bad bacteria). Once their bm's are back to normal I would still hold the dairy for a couple more days after that.

Hope everyone is feeling better!

3. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

Good advice about the yogurt. I didn't know that.

We have had it here too, although maybe not as long as you have had it (this is our second since Christmas though). Just stick to the diet you are offering. We also give the kids Lactose free milk, as per the doctor's instructions.

4. Shadyfeline

Shadyfeline Well-Known Member

We frequently had this problem during last year but it would last a few days then go away ... I thought it was viral the doc office just tells you to do the BRAT diet and in 3-7 days it goes away. Until this past November it started again two weeks later they still had it in the 3rd week I contacted their Pedi directly on Dec. 21st after a doc visit and a stool test I put them on Lactaid milk/ Lactaid Cheese and their poops went back to normal within a week. I should add we figured this out pretty quickly as they were lactose/soy intolerant since 2 months and when I transitioned off formula we went to regular milk by 13 months with no problems but their Pedi said it can start up again at age 2.

5. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

oh yuck!! bless your hearts!! I had what sounds like the same thing about three weeks ago - and so did my MIL - we went to lunch together and both ate the same thing and ended up with issues!! it lasted 2 or 3 days and then just when I went back to eating normally - BAM!! it hit again!! I don't know if it was viral or the sandwich we ate but I do know I couldn't leave the house for several days!!

I hope you feel better soon!!

:hug99: ,
    Heather

6. PurpleNurple

The kids still have poop issues....my son has been in some serious pain from a sore bum. My dd is still having frequent poops...not so much diarrhea as it was before, but still frequent. We picked up some Bananas today, and some pro biotic yogurt, so they can eat more than toast, brown rice and apple sauce!
    They have never had any issues with milk allergies and this has never happened before - so I am guessing it's just a virus...as my husband has it again. I am SO looking forward to this being OVER. But on the bright side...my son has actually TOLD us he had to go potty for the 1st time EVER....for both poop and pees...so maybe something good will come of this.
    We are staying put for now - the kids won't go to church till it's cleared up - we did go over to a friend's house last night and they did fine. Hopefully they will be good by Tuesday because they really want to go to church!!

7. ehm

ehm Banned

I should probably clarify that when I mentioned milk I wasn't referring to allergies. There is just something with milk that makes the issues prolonged for us and even when they were eating normal and doing ok the second I gave them milk the runs would return. I have since held off on milk for a couple days longer and it seems to work. None of mine are allergic.

8. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(ehm @ Jan 13 2008, 05:57 PM) [snapback]570903[/snapback]
    I should probably clarify that when I mentioned milk I wasn't referring to allergies. There is just something with milk that makes the issues prolonged for us and even when they were eating normal and doing ok the second I gave them milk the runs would return. I have since held off on milk for a couple days longer and it seems to work. None of mine are allergic.

It's my understanding that the lactose in milk is incredibly hard to digest when getting over a little tummy bug. That is what prolongs some of the symptoms (i.e., diahrrea). So that is why we opt for the lactose free milk instead of going dairy free during an illness.

9. PurpleNurple

Oh ya....I knew that....I stop giving them milk when they have a stomach bug...especially the flu or like what I am dealing with now. All dairy is out - except for in this case, some yogurt. I did go to the Health Food store and picked up some Acidopolis (sp??) which is the active ingredient in Yogurt. It's in powered form and I add it to some water for them to drink. I am supposed to keep them on is for a few days. I also got some concentrated silver formula which is all natural and great for fighting off viruses and stuff like that. Some friends of our use it for just about anything. I'm taking it too for what feels like a cold coming on.
    I am just SO sick of all the poop and messy clothes. My dd is pretty much over the worst of it, but my son is still fighting it...and his bum is on fire!