Your bottom 3 product picks (spinoff of the top 3)

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by AimeeThomp, May 6, 2008.

1. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

So after reading everyone's top picks for baby products I was thinking of all the money I wasted! I'm sure most people who are having their first baby (or babies) make some foolish purchases, not knowing it at the time!
    So what are the items you purchased that you really did not need and/or were a complete waste of money?

Here's mine:
    - a video baby monitor - we spent about $200 on it, and I can't stand it! Our house is small enough that as long as I leave my bedroom door open and the nursery door is open I can hear them just fine! I don't want or need to hear every little noise they make in their sleep, and the video part is a complete waste because if they are crying I am not going to just watch them on the monitor, I'm going to go to them! Complete waste!

- I spent a fortune on 2 matching, complete baby bedding sets. You know what I'm talking about, with the matching sheets, bumpers, mobiles, comforters, and sham. Of course we went all out and also got the matching blankets, lamp and all accessories that came with it. It's not like we can put our babies to bed in their cribs with a comforter, what was I thinking buying that?! And I think we spent at least $500 on that, what were we thinking?!

- I got several "bottle drying racks" as gifts and I have never used any of them, they are all still in the box at the bottom of their closet taking up space.

I'm sure there are lots more but those are my top 3.

2. tamaras

tamaras Well-Known Member

heres mine!

1) wipes warmer...why would I want to use that?? so that when we are not at home they freak out if they have a cold wipe on their bum-bum?? NO thanks!

2) bottle warmer...same kind of thing as above. I use room temp water, so that we can eat anywhere & so they wont be mad if we are somewhere where we cant warm a bottle.

3) too many receiving blankets! we only used them for the first month or so, and I think we literally had around 40 of them. Once the girls were bigger we used our kiddopotomus sleep sacks or the halo ones & did away with the receiving blankets.

3. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

1. Cute little infant dresses. We didn't buy any, but received about a thousand dresses as presents. I probably used two of them, ever. Onesies were just so much easier when the girls were little. They also looked really silly in sleeveless dresses. I wish all of those dresses had come with receipts so I could have returned them all.

2. Bedding sets. Again, presents... but as the OP said, what a waste!

3. Diaper bags. We purchased a few of these and really have only used one. We just don't need a sporty one, a small one, and a huge manly one.

Interestingly, I love my bottle drying rack...

4. mmbadger

mmbadger Well-Known Member

- Gargantuan bottle sterilizer...total waste of space. I just use the micro-steam bags by Medela - MUCH easier.

- Maclaren rocker...given as a gift, but the thing is useless. Babies hate it, would have been better to have a much less expensive bouncer (or 2!)

- American Red Cross baby "safety" nail clippers. For some reason, they're the only kind that stores I've been to sell...and they're TOTALLY worthless. They have this enormous plastic guard around the metal, which makes it inevitable that you're going to slice the tip of baby's finger, as you can no longer SEE the fingernail because of the contraption! UGH! Where can I find regular baby nail clippers?!?!

5. Saramcc

Saramcc Well-Known Member

My 2 are...

- bottle warmer -didn't buy but registered for. Used once. what a waste

- preemie clothes -they were pretty much in their jammies all day everyday for the first three months. By the time we started putting clothes on them, they were not longer preemie size.

I was going to put the many many bibs, we have a TON of bibs I was thinking we don't need them all. but now I am seeing that we use them alot, so I am grateful for all the bibs we have.

6. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

infant sleep positioners-registered for but never used
    wipes warmer-registered and used a couple of times but have not used in a long time
    infant bedding-I should have just ordered the sheets, since I could not use the bumper or quilt! We are in the process of getting Luke's room ready, and I just got him sheets!

7. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

1. bottle warmer: used 4 times...off to Craigslist it goes!
    2. receiving blankets...maybe I'll sew them all together and make a gigantic tent for the boys!
    3. bumpers

That's about it though. I've used everything else.

8. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

QUOTE(ChelleBadger @ May 6 2008, 02:23 PM) [snapback]758737[/snapback]
    - American Red Cross baby "safety" nail clippers. For some reason, they're the only kind that stores I've been to sell...and they're TOTALLY worthless. They have this enormous plastic guard around the metal, which makes it inevitable that you're going to slice the tip of baby's finger, as you can no longer SEE the fingernail because of the contraption! UGH! Where can I find regular baby nail clippers?!?!

My DH pulled off the plastic thing and now they are very easy to use!

To the OP:

1. Bottle warmer- returned it unopened.
    2. Microwave sterilizer- used it a couple of times, but it was easier to boil some water and put the bottles and nipples in there.
    3. Cute, but completely impractical little dresses and clothes. They lived in onesies and footy pj's forever.

ETA: I actually use the receiving blankets. We used them to swaddle when the girls were tiny and now the girls love them as lovey's and to play peek-a-boo.

9. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

Bottle Warmer
    Baby Papasan Chair
    Bumbo

10. nurseandrea02

nurseandrea02 Well-Known Member

1. Tummy time mat
    2. Bottle warmer (also returned unopened)
    3. Receiving blankets & bibs (I know, 2, but I needed 2 more :)...LOL).....ours were SUPER spitty when we were little so we went through TONS of bibs & I now I have an entire drawer overflowing with them! I wish I'd have just done more laundry back then....

11. jkendall

jkendall Well-Known Member

1. bottle warmer
    2. bumpers/quilt
    3. receiving blankets

12. JessiePlus2

JessiePlus2 Well-Known Member

1. Too many receiving blankets and burp cloths. Ditto to the pp who wishes she would have just done more laundry in the early spitty days.
    2. Frilly dresses and pants/vests outfits. I received a lot of these for gifts, and the babies just never wear them. I think they've worn each outfit one time before they outgrew it.
    3. Pack n Play with double bassinets. I use the pack n play, but the double bassinets were a waste. When they both slept in the bassinets, they woke each other up way too easily with every whimper or movement.

Before they started solids, I swore I had too many bibs because it seemed like everyone bought bibs to go with their shower gifts. And now, I am so happy I have a ton. They can go through 3 bibs each in one day!

13. stefwebb

stefwebb Well-Known Member

1. EZ2Nurse pillow - Bought new with big plans and ended up exclusively pumping
    2. Bumbo - Boys both hate the thing
    3. Boppy's and cover - unless they start using them now I really only used the newborn lounger not the two cute regular boppy's with two sets of matching slipcovers that someone got us.

14. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

What a GREAT idea.. Hopefully the 'expecting' moms will ck this out!!

1. Baby Monitor- Have never even plugged it in. I can hear them if I need to.. and like pp stated, I do not NEED to hear every little noise ALL OF THE TIME! (esp when asleep!)

2. $800 Glider/Rocker & Gliding ottoman-- Um.. not "supposed" to rock babies-- didn't learn this until I had it!! UGH. Never used it! Especially w/ twins; it just didn't make sense! (contrary to what I thought WHILE pregnant!)

3. Crib Positioners-- JOKE! Never took them out of box. What would I even use those for?? Odd that I even bought them!

4. Receiving blankets--- I think I bought 100-- I have NEVER used one of them. They are too small to swaddle with and I used the hospital blankets for swaddling anyway!

5. Sterilizer- seemed like a BRILLIANT idea at the time-- waste of money. I could have just as well used the dishwasher or boiled them on the stove if need be.

6. Wipe Warmer- worked out swell at first UNTIL IT ALMOST BURNED THE HOUSE DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (not kidding- bottom wipe was BLACK and smoking!)

Hindsight is always 20/20 and maybe some people LOVE the items above, I however, did not. If only I would have known!

15. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

Oh and the BIGGEST waste of money---------------------------

The BED SET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I spent $400 on EACH not knowing the quilt was USELESS and pretty much illegal as far as babies go!! Unreal! Never even used the bumpers!!!!!!!!!!! ONly thing out of the whole set I used was the flipping SHEETS! UGH!

Do not buy bed sets people!! JUST BUY SHEETS!!! LOL.

16. SnowCraig

SnowCraig Well-Known Member

Tummy time mat - we used a playmat for a while with the arches and toys, but we got a tummy time specific mat - didn't use it.

Big kit with baby "care" items - nailclippers, brush, toothbrushes, medicine dispensers, etc. We got most of these items individually and the ones that came in the kit were so generic and lots of stuff was never used.

Monitors - the only time we use these is when we are outside - our house is small and we hardly ever used them. When I did use them, they drove me nuts - I heard everything!

Other stuff:

Onesies - we did use them, but I got SO many of them that I never used them all. I think they are easy to buy so people gravitated to them.

Receiving blankets - used them a lot in the NICU - to "make up" their beds and swaddle. Used them for a short time at home. What do do with them now? Pass along? Use as light blankets this summer?

Podee bottles - I know many love them, but mine never got the hang of them!

I would also caution against buying too many nursing things until you know you can nurse. I had purchased a bunch of stuff and never used any of it.

17. vikkimathews

vikkimathews Well-Known Member

1- bumbos (neither of the boys liked them until they could sit up by themselves -- and at that point...what's the point

2- exersaucer - again, not a bad product, but my boys just doint like it

3- several diaper bags (i have like 4 -- and only have ever used one)

ironically enough we use our bottle warmers all the time (we make bottle up in advance and keep in the fridge so they are ice cold)

18. Zabeta

Zabeta Well-Known Member

Some of our favorite things were receiving blankets! But if I'd used something else to swaddle we would have had way too many.

The biggest waste of money were two crib wedges for reflux. They weren't steep enough to prevent reflux, but just steep enough to ensure that my tiny non-rollers would end up at the bottom of the ramp in a heap within an hour of going down.

Sorry, can't think of any more - we were lucky to be given a bunch of hand-me-downs so I don't regret too many purchases...oh, SWINGS. We were given two but the babies HATED them. So glad I didn't pay for or register for new ones.

19. AshleyLD

AshleyLD Well-Known Member

Funny.. Cause i LOVE LOVE LOVE the wipe warmer for the first couple of months (when you change them at night)

1. changing table. I just sits there and collects stuff.. I dont think i have EVER used it. I just lay them on the floor or on the bed.

2. Crib positioners...

3. I cant think of anything else.. I would put the bedding set.. but i went to Target and found cute matching b/g (pink/blue) sets on sale for 20$!! I feel that i didnt waste any money :)

20. 1. Changing table...never used it
    2. Bottle warmer
    3. Boppy pillow

21. mar66rus2

mar66rus2 Well-Known Member

For Emily

1. Diaper Genie....that thing was crappy and didn't prevent the smell...just more crap to buy.
    2. Bassinet....she hated it from day one...slept in bouncer/car seat
    3. Receiving blankets...she did not like to be swaddled.

For the twins

1. Bedding...luckily it only cost us $50, but we do not use the bumpers or quilt...just sheets. I do like our theme though and glad we bought the accessories that go with it.
    2. Changing table (used in both nurseries)...it just collects stuff. We are taking it out to put the 2nd crib in and will us it somewhere else. We did use it for awhile for a bookshelf for Emily, but she has built in one now.
    3. The summer newborn clothes that I got at my shower. They didn't wear one outfit cause they were so small and born in August. By the time they were big enough for them snowballs were hitting us. I should of had a shower after they were born!

There are things that I didn't like with Emily that I definetly used more with the twins. My rocker never got used with Emily but has definetly gotten its use now! We used our receiving blankets alot with the twins too.

April

22. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

Aimee, you may not need that video monitor now, but you will LOVE it when your kiddos are 2, and in toddler or regular beds, and raising cane at naptime instead of sleeping. It is just hilarious to watch them and see what they do....and run in and rescue them when they start doing something crazy. :D

Here are mine --

1. Podee bottles. They never worked for us.

2. Tummy time mats. We did use these, but certainly not long enough to be worth purchasing two.

3. EZ2Nurse pillow. If this had worked, I'm sure it would have been worth its weight in gold, but alas, it never did.

I also wasn't overly fond of the mesh feeders....

23. caryanne07

caryanne07 Well-Known Member

Great thread. Interesting that so many of you don't use many receiving blankets. But I guess I have a projectile vomiter so we go through dozen's a day!

My three:

1. EZ2Nurse pillow- I ended up pumping so only used about 3 times with very little success.
    2. Onesies - as a pp said...we got dozens and hardly used any...especially in the early months. We do use them now though. Just too hard to pull over their heads when they're newborns.
    3. Moby Wrap - I know lots of you who love your wraps, but they just aren't me. I prefer the baby bjorn. Only used the wrap about 3 times...way too time consuming to put on and off!

It was actually hard for me to think of 3. Most of the things already mentioned, we didn't have (like sterilizers, bottle warmers, wipe warmers).

Cary

24. TFine

TFine Well-Known Member

1. Bumbos
    2. Bedding
    3. Podee Bottles
    4. Boppy Pillows
    5. Swings
    6. Bouncy Seats

and trust me the list goes on and on!

25. ldsangel19

ldsangel19 Well-Known Member

1. Two $200 bedding sets. Biggest waste ever, as others have said.
    2. Clothes that were the wrong size for the season. My girls were preemies born in June and we got a bunch of 3-6 summer stuff that still has the tags on.
    3. PackNPlay. No use for it at all in our tiny place, and it's a PITA to actually travel with.

26. Britten

Britten Well-Known Member

1. Mesh feeders - I couldn't get them clean enough. Yuck.
    2. Fancy blankets - We live in Florida, girls were born May 30. I have SO many beautiful blankets that are collecting dust.
    3. Extra sheets - I have 4 Ultimate Crib sheets that I couldn't live without.

Our bedding wasn't expensive and I used the bumpers until just lately, so I feel like we got our money out of them. I also loved my wipe warmer and just recently stopped using it. And I still go through a ton of bibs in a day so I'm glad we had a ton of those!

Funny how everyone likes different things!

27. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

For us it was:

matching bedding--spent way too much money and all you really see are the curtains and the bed skirt

Paci's -- had a load given and bought and never used them

diaper genie - used once and then discovered we were way too lazy so we just used the trash can with smell good trash bags.

28. lah17

lah17 Well-Known Member

diaper genie--once we ran out of bags we never had time to get to the store with 3 kids and 2 preemies--It's in the closet.

portable swings--THey outgrew them fast and just didn't care for them.

bassinet-cosleeper--To the tune of 150.00--They slept in it once and then ended up in their carseats (reflux) or in bed with me!

bumbos--they pop out of them, so I can't turn my back when they use them.

Lastly, bumpers and comforters--I didn't spend too much on our set so it wasn't a big deal. (Oh, use the comforter as a playmat for the floor--it's thick so cushions themin case of a fall.

Lisa

29. EricaG

EricaG Well-Known Member

Great thread!

Well I'm glad to hear I wasn't the only one to spend $200 x 2 on all the fancy bedding just to use the sheet.....and then I still shelled out exta for the crib skirts.....I'm a sucker.

1. Bedding

2. play mat (my reflux boys hated it)

3. Changing table ( they get changed everywhere and anywhere....except for the changing table)

4. Bumbo's (I didn't buy them and I know some babies love them but mine alway arch there back and want out right away)

Erica

30. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

Here's my list:

1. Expensive bottles - First we used the Playtex Ventair. Too much work to clean with that ring at the bottle, plus they leaked.
    Then we went to Avent, another waste of money. After the BPA scare, I went to Walmart and bought their bottles. I got
    12 bottles with extra nipples for the same cost as 3 Avent bottles.

2. EZ-2 Nursing pillow - planned to bf, but it just did not work out. It says you can bottle fed with it, but our boys are so wiggly, they roll off of it.

3. Tummy time mat - they get more enjoyment out of mirrors propped up.

4. Buying the wrong diaper bag - bought a regular size bag and after less than a month had to buy the Skip Hop Duo Double Deluxe which I LOVE.

31. ca2pa2005

ca2pa2005 Well-Known Member

Lets see....

Too many newborn clothes. It seems all the gifts I got were in newborn size. My girls lived in one piece outfits the first two months. With a onesie underneath (cold PA winter)...

Towels and wash clothes...too many sets given as gifts. I do laundry so often anyways that I don't need more than two towels and two wash clothes

Changing table in their room. Have never used it. Use the one downstairs daily.

32. Aprilisdisney

Aprilisdisney Well-Known Member

[SIZE=10pt]Hmmm ~

1. Diaper Genie ~ couldn't get the darn thing to work
    2. Bedding ~ even though we hung the 'quilts' on the wall as 'decorations'
    3. Podee bottles ~ they look so cool in the advertisement, however never worked for us
    4. Tummy mats

April :)
    [/SIZE]

33. tamaras

tamaras Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if the moderators can somehow copy this thread & the thread with the TOP 3 items into the 'expecting' forum?
    I would have loved to have read this before having my babies/registering etc :)

34. HinSD

HinSD Well-Known Member

1. Wipes warmer - I bought it thinking it would be nice at night. Well, I have to wake mine up every 3 hours to feed so cold wipes are good to wake them! And now they are used to cold wipes. Unfortunately, I threw out the box

2. Diaper Champ. HATE. IT. I want a normal trash can. Their poops aren't even that stinky yet.

can't think of another one right now. I don't want to put EZ2Nurse pillow b/c it is GREAT if you can BF. I only used it a few times though and then couldn't BF anymore :(
    My boppys I have not used yet. I just use the newborn lounger.

it's funny - I have 2 bottle warmers- they are ok, don't warm enough but do take the chill off :)

ivfbound - what do you mean you are not supposed to rock the babies??

35. jjokitty

jjokitty Well-Known Member

1. Sleep positioners
    2. Too many newborn onesies

Hmmm. Can't think of a third one, but then again I never bought a bottle warmer, wipes warmer, or a really expensive bedding set. And I like our Diaper Champ, LOVE the Podee bottles, and I do use the bumpers (*gasp*).

Jen