Youngest Age to Roll Over

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by cat mommy, Feb 20, 2010.

1. cat mommy

cat mommy Well-Known Member

OK, DS doesn't get the fact that he's supposed to sleep on his back. Yesterday, my mom left him face up on the floor--a safe location--while she went to grab something. When she got back, he was hanging out face down!!

He's only 14 weeks actual, 8 weeks adjusted, which is why this worries me. I know the general rule is that babies are fine to be on their stomachs once they know how to roll over on their own, BUT since DS is so young, I'm worried that he hasn't matured sufficiently to know to move his head when he can't breathe.

2. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Unfortunately, once they start rolling over on their own, there isn't much you can do about it. The only option would be to watch them all night long & keep rolling them back over and then you would get no sleep. I have always been told by doctors that if they are strong enough to roll over, they will be okay that way. Is he pretty good at lifting his head when he's on his tummy?

3. busymomof3

busymomof3 Well-Known Member

My little guy rolled over at 12 weeks (3 corrected) and he did it a few times but for him it was just because he was arching so bad and he had extreamly high muscle tone. He didn't actually start rolling regularily until 6 months corrected. Perhaps it was just a one time thing for now. Best of luck

4. emp59

emp59 Well-Known Member

My girls were regularly rolling onto their bellies at 13 weeks. They were still in their swings to sleep then but at 16 weeks when we transitioned into cribs, they just slept on their bellies. I just made sure to have nothing else in teur cribs.