You would have thought I had twinfants!

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by megkc03, Jun 19, 2013.

1. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Now, I'm forewarning you, I think there are two people who know about this, and one is most definitely NOT my husband! But, when this happened, I only wish I had the excuse that my boys were infants, or something! Lol!

Here's what happened to me Memorial Day Weekend...I host my fathers family, about 20 of us, for three days. Tons and tons of food-constant food, drinks, etc etc. Well, I also am starting a side cookie business. Custom made sugar cookies. Lots of them. Lol! And, dh is always away on a business trip(annual conference), during this week.

I had been staying up very very late. I had loads of cleaning to do, and cookie orders to be filled. At 10:30 pm, I went downstairs to the fridge, and realized it was broken. Three days before guests arrive(we NEED that fridge). I panic, call dh, clean out fridge/freezer on the no time I had. Fast forward. I'm getting ready to go to bed. It's now 2:30 am. I've been up since 7 am the day before. I remember I have clothes in the wash that need to go in the dryer. I throw them in. I turn the knob. I push. I pull. Nothing. It.won't.start. Now I'm pissed because I NEED that dryer. Lol!

I call repair service for fridge and dryer. He arrives the following night at 6 pm. Says its a quick simple fix for both(to the tune of $225....). Sweet!

So then I go and throw another load of laundry in the dryer(DOES IT EVER END???). I turn the knob to extra dry. Then, I push the knob to the right to start. Did you get that?!? The other knob. That I pushed to start. Ya, you know, the one I completely ignored the night before?!?

O.M.G. I wasn't pushing the right button!!!

Note to self-and others-DO NOT do laundry(or much of anything else :laughing: ), when seriously sleep deprived!

So-what's your story?!? Did I make you all feel better?!?

Oh-and dh will never know this either!!

2. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

Ha ha ha! We call those "nuisance calls" in the industry. ;) More of a nuisance to you than the company that got to bill ya, though!

Mine are all run of the mill things- forgot to brush my teeth and had to stop to buy a toothbrush and toothpaste on my way to work. Forgot formula and bottles on trips and had to buy both. Reheated leftovers only to find them in the microwave a day later.

3. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'm pretty sure I fed the same baby twice and would then be confused why the other was hungry an hour later.

4. efaith

efaith Well-Known Member

I did front up to school to pick up my big kids in my pyjamas - it was like one of those awful dreams! I had got into them because I had got caught in the rain earlier and they were right there and quick to throw on, I just forgot I was wearing them!

5. Debbiemichelle

Debbiemichelle Well-Known Member

Yesterday, I started the coffee pot without water. This is a fun thread; I'm sure I'll think of more things to add, as these things happen to me daily.

6. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

When my kids were 10 months, I had to have a root canal, and the couple of days before, I was in AWFUL pain. My regular dentist was out of town, and I had to go to a clinic an hour away, so my parents came to keep the kids and DH took off to drive me there.

We finally got back around 6pm, and my mom commented that the boys were really hungry for dinner and she ended up giving them some extra fruit, etc. to fill them up. I opened up the fridge to get a drink and realized I had totally forgotten their mid-afternoon bottle. I felt really, really awful of course. Not my best mommy moment! :blush: But I guess in the scope of things, it could have been way worse, huh?

7. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

I had gone to bed before Carl, like normal. So at 2 am when Sophie woke up I didn't know Carl had closed our bedroom door. I always leave it open at night. I must have been in a deep sleep because I didn't fully open my eyes...until I smacked right into the door. I was lucky enough not to break or bloody my nose. Now I hold a hand out in front of me when walking around at might unless I am certain that he didn't close the door!

8. rayceryin12

rayceryin12 Well-Known Member

I had many nights when I have no recollection of getting both boys and ending up downstairs. Eek!

9. paperclippy

paperclippy Well-Known Member

I've only had both girls home from the NICU for a couple days, so I'm enjoying this thread because it makes me feel better about how incompetent I feel half the time! :lol: Last night I had multiple occasions where I had already woken up, fed the babies (with DH's help), sat them up to help their reflux, and returned them to bed, then went back to sleep, and suddenly woke up out of a deep sleep thinking I had fallen asleep in the middle of feeding them and must be crushing them in the bed. In one instance I woke up to the sound of DH moving around and I suddenly thought I had forgotten to feed the babies and we were late feeding them, when it turned out that I had just finished feeding them 10 minutes earlier. I guess I dozed off while he was putting them back in the crib and woke up when he got back into bed, thinking it was like five hours later. This is why we write down when they eat!

10. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Mine weren't in the NICU and I did this. Eventually DH would have to wake me and I'd say I'd already fed a baby- I was leaking onto my pillow. :lol:

11. daisies

daisies Well-Known Member

My version of night feeding madness..
    I woke up all the time in a panic that we had not gotten up to feed. DH always said, 'yes we did, you don't remember?' and i wouldn't believe him until i check the chart.
    I really didn't remember, i guess i was kind of sleep walking.
    I was so glad when they finally started crying when they were hungry. I knew i wouldn't sleep through their noises but I never trusted the alarm.

12. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Funniest sleep deprived story is one a friend told me when she came to visit me right after I had my girls. Her twins must have been 7 at this point, but when she had her twins, they were living out of state away from their families. They made a turkey one day. turned off the oven and forgot about it. The next day her DH opens up the oven, finds the turkey and wants to know if it is safe to eat.

13. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I put the milk away in the cabinet on more than one occassion and tried to brush my teeth with triple antibiotic.

14. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

I have boy/girl twins - my only kids. During those first 2-3 weeks I was such a zombie, the kids were still in our bedroom. When they were waking up to be fed during the night, I would take one baby to change first, then the other before feeding them. I remember a few instances when I was so sure it's one of them and then while changing their diaper in almost dark - I was so shocked to discover the opposite set of private parts than I thought that baby should have. I had a night light in my bedroom and I was changing them in the attached bathroom and I wasn't turning the light on in the bathroom. After it happened about 2-3 times, I got used to it, or maybe I became better at recognizing their cries, but the first few times it made me question myself :).

And of course, let's not forget looking for the third baby to change/feed after I was done with those 2 - I read here it's normal so it didn't shock me as much, but it happened to me a few times in the middle of the night during the first weeks.

15. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

I remember waking up a few times in total panic looking for a baby - I had fallen asleep during nursing and the baby had later fallen asleep on the breast, so I had no memory of settling the baby into a safe sleep position beside me and I had grown so used to a baby attached to the breast that I did not realize it was right there.

Also, the fridge turned into our go-to place for anything we were looking for. Don't ask why the fridge but we have found keys, glasses, money, pens, paperwork in the fridge. DH still does this occasionally and with nearly 4 year-olds we don't qualify for sleep-deprived haze anymore although we are often pretty tired.

1 person likes this.