yet another question about supply and demand

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by paperclippy, Aug 28, 2013.

1. paperclippy

paperclippy Well-Known Member

My girls are adjusted age almost 9 weeks. For the past few weeks they've been taking ~4oz per feeding when they get a bottle of expressed milk, unknown when BF but probably about the same. I think they're ready to start moving up to 5oz for at least some of their feedings, and maybe go a longer stretch between feeds sometimes. Their current feed schedule is: ~6:30am, ~8:30am, ~11:45am, ~3:00pm, ~5:30pm, ~7:20pm, ~2:00am. I pump at work at 8:30, 11:30, and 3:00. If we start feeding them a larger quantity in their 8:30 bottle and they spread out the feedings, can I drop to pumping twice a day at work? If I do, will I still produce enough milk to feed them? Right now I get 4oz per breast when I pump at work, more when I pump at 2am (I let hubby do the night feeding and BF at 6:30am, 5:30pm, 7:20pm).

2. paperclippy

Adding another twist, the girls made it all night without a feeding last night (though they didn't actually sleep all night, but that's another story). I pumped at 4am because I was uncomfortable, got just over 13oz, left the milk out and fed them at 5am. They ate the entire 13oz, and didn't even spit up (amazing, usually they puke even when fed small amounts). Now I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to produce enough for their daytime feedings, because usually I've set aside the extra 3-4oz I get at a nighttime pumping session to supplement the next day while I'm at work.

3. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

I'm glad you posted again. I meant to reply before but forgot. I would be careful about dropping sessions at work if you don't really have to. I was able to successfully do that with my ODD but not the twins. If you are getting more than they drink right now, I would freeze it and keep growing that stash. If you are consistently pumping way more than they need, I would let them settle into their new feeding pattern first andthen try cutting back on the amount of time you pump for one of the work sessions. If things continue to proceed well, then you can consider cutting that session entirely. But if you do get a supply dip, it will be a lot easier to recover from shortening the session instead of dropping it altogether.

ETA: any time I started having trouble keeping up with the daytime feedings, I added a pumping session right before I went to bed. That would boost my overall supply and givd me the extra few ounces I needed so that I wasn't dipping into the freezer stash.

4. paperclippy

Right now my production is pretty much right on with their intake. In the past I overproduced, so I have a freezer entirely packed with milk right now that I need to do something about (the oldest milk is from May so possibly no good anymore). I keep meaning to look into donating it but that would require actually organizing what's in there so I know how much I have and from what dates. I haven't added anything to the freezer in a few weeks since they've been keeping up.

In any case, I don't seem to get any more than 8oz max when I pump midday at work. 20 mins pumping at 11:30 and I got 7 3/4 oz. I can get more than 8oz at my first work pumping session at 8:30 though. I wasn't sure if pumping less frequently would mean I'd get more at each pumping session or if it just would make my supply go down. It seems confusing to me that my supply is highest at night when the babies are asleep and lowest in the middle of the day when they're awake and eating.

5. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

I regret not doing more with my freezer stash. Though I have had to dip into it from time to time. If you know you have some that you need to use soon, you can use that for Monday's milk and freeze Friday's. That helps reduce the chances that some will go to waste. (It sucks having to dump it. BTDT.)

As for what will happen if you cut back, it can go either way I think. In my personal experience (actual results may vary ;) ), my supply goes down when I drop a session. I've always wondered about why our supply is so great at night too. We gotta sleep sometime!

Good luck, whatever you decide! :)

6. Krystine

Krystine Well-Known Member

May milk should still be fine. It should be fine 4-6 mos in a regular freezer, depending on where it is (the door wouldn't last as long as the back) or 12 mos in a separate/deep freezer.