Writing on 2nd graders shirt!

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by momofmandb, Oct 10, 2008.

1. momofmandb

momofmandb Well-Known Member

My daughter is telling me last night when we are brushing her teeth that someone in her class was wearing a shirt that said, "I come to school for the girls!". This is way over my kids heads and they just couldn't stop talking about why a boy would like a shirt with the word "girl" on it. I just can't get over that someone would want their second grader wearing that. I also can't believe the teacher didn't make him change...they all have gym shirts at school. My kids aren't even allowed to wear tank tops, but this was OK???

2. momotwinsmom

momotwinsmom Well-Known Member

I personally wouldn't let my child wear something like that, but I also don't think it is too terribly bad. He likes girls. It's not hard to get, and it isn't degrading really. Just, well, dumb, I guess.

Maybe I am in the minority though. I wonder what others think.

3. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

Heather, I agree. Until this year, ALL of Marc's school friends were girls, so I could soooo see him wearing it.

4. jxnsmama

jxnsmama Well-Known Member

I agree with the previous poster. While I don't buy my kids any attitude shirts, I don't mind them as long as they're not offensive. I think they're dumb, but not worth making the kid change.

5. twinbears

twinbears Well-Known Member

Some I find funny some I don't see why they are for kids. This one is cute it isn't insulting in any way. But what do I know I bought my son one that said Save the Beaches that's where the girls are but he is 13.

6. Ali M

Ali M Well-Known Member

I personally think a lot of those attitude shirts are inappropriate but I'm obviously in the minority because they sell very well. I just think they really give kids the wrong idea about how they should act around other people and what is okay. The exception is ones for toddlers because they can't read anyway. ;)