Working Moms....how long are you going to work?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by sreal02, Feb 5, 2009.

1. sreal02

sreal02 Well-Known Member

I am only 28 + weeks, but I swear it's becoming increasingly difficult to go to work every.single.day. I was completely fine until the last two weeks, this week being even worse. I'm just so darn tired when I get home, plus I have our two little girls that are 7 & 4 that I need to make lots of time for. So, I can't just come home & take a nap. My dh doesn't get home from work until 6:30pm. At work, my legs/hips hurt, I get BH contrax all the time and I go on & off with my low back hurting. I hate being a whiner, so this is driving me crazy. Work has been really good about me taking time to sit behind the desk---I work in a Physical Therapy clinic. However, each time I have to be working with patients or even just walking around for awhile gets to me. Also, it's not so much fun & comfortable sitting at the desk either. I was just wondering how long everyone else worked before going on maternity leave? I feel like such a wimp even considering it right now. :( However, I'm thinking even cutting back to 3 days a week would be helpful. Any advice or similar situations?

Thanks!

2. dalidigger

dalidigger Well-Known Member

I am headed into my 25th week and haven't had any discussions with my boss on a leave or shortening my week. I am trying to hang in there until the end of the month to at least ask. The company I work for is potentially closing so I may be unemployed soon, but I was told this 1st week of Jan and I am still there. I don't have as physical a job, I sit at a desk so really it's walking around and sitting that hurts me. I have a 3 yr old and when I come home, I just try to take it slow. I try to prepare meals in advance as much as possible and just work through the lazy afternoon feeling I get when I need a nap cause I can't take one. Eventually, in April, I'd like to be working from home and then I will probably have them in early May so if I can get through the next few weeks then I will be able to figure it out from there. It's gotta be uncomfortable to handle people if you are a physical therapist or PTA cause you have to bend and squat right?

Try to enjoy this pregnancy as much as you can and baby yourself.

3. LMW1015

LMW1015 Well-Known Member

I only made it to 26 weeks and I had a desk job. Listen to your body and talk to your Doc. I'd definitely at least cut back if you're feeling it though. Good luck and you're almost there!!

4. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

I cut back to 1/2 time (4 hours a day) at 28 weeks and stopped working entirely at 34 weeks. I had a desk job and no other kids. So I'm very impressed that you're still going as strong as you are!

5. scrappycindy

scrappycindy Well-Known Member

I'm planning on quitting at 32 weeks, if I make it that far... they know I could have to quit earlier if I develop health issues.

6. kimr

kimr Well-Known Member

I worked at a desk job while pregnant with the girls and due to complications my doc pulled me out of working at the office at 28 weeks, I was able to work at home and come on on Saturdays (as long as my dh drove me, its about a 45 minute drive on the weekend or 45 minute train ride during rush hour). If I hadn't had the health issues I had, my dr was going to cut me down to only a couple of days in the office at 32 weeks or cut me off completely. As it was the health issue resolved itself (I had placenta previa), but by 34 weeks I couldn't work at home anymore I was so uncomfortable and extremely tired from not sleeping well. So at 34 weeks, even though I was working from home, I stopped working. And not a day to soon, my last day was a Friday and my water broke the following Tuesday! So listen to your body, don't worry about what anyone else has to say - you know what you feel like and your dr. will be more than happy when you tell him/her that you want to cut back from working. Good luck!

7. sreal02

QUOTE(Dalidigger @ Feb 5 2009, 06:26 PM) [snapback]1177886[/snapback]
    I am headed into my 25th week and haven't had any discussions with my boss on a leave or shortening my week. I am trying to hang in there until the end of the month to at least ask. The company I work for is potentially closing so I may be unemployed soon, but I was told this 1st week of Jan and I am still there. I don't have as physical a job, I sit at a desk so really it's walking around and sitting that hurts me. I have a 3 yr old and when I come home, I just try to take it slow. I try to prepare meals in advance as much as possible and just work through the lazy afternoon feeling I get when I need a nap cause I can't take one. Eventually, in April, I'd like to be working from home and then I will probably have them in early May so if I can get through the next few weeks then I will be able to figure it out from there. It's gotta be uncomfortable to handle people if you are a physical therapist or PTA cause you have to bend and squat right?

Try to enjoy this pregnancy as much as you can and baby yourself.

Thanks! Thankfully, my boss & co-workers knew to expect my slowing down as the weeks increase. They have been really good about taking on some of the patient responsibility---I'm a PTA. So, I inform patients on how to do their program exercises, set them up in our Fitness Center on the weight machines, etc. It's a lot of bending, squating, walking around & adjusting people. So, it can definitely become very uncomfortable after several times a day.
    I talked to my boss today about cutting back to 3 days a week & she'll give me more details on Monday....but it sounds like it will work out. <big sigh of relief>

Even though you are sitting at a desk, it can still be very uncomfortable. I swear that is when I hurt the most.....after sitting & then having to get up & walk around. Good luck with the transition in
    April & working from home. Having a toddler, working and preggo with twins can definitely be hard on your body.

I'm definitely trying to enjoy this pregnancy & the amazing experience. ;)

8. caba

caba Banned

I worked until 34 weeks with my twins, but I stopped going into the office at 28 weeks. I was able to fully work from home (I'm a software developer), so I was able to just lay in bed with my laptop ... and take breaks (and naps!) as needed ... it worked out great so that I could still earn a good paycheck, but not push myself.

This time around, who the heck knows what will happen! I'm hoping my job will be that flexible again!

9. sreal02

QUOTE(LMW1015 @ Feb 6 2009, 08:27 AM) [snapback]1178377[/snapback]
    I only made it to 26 weeks and I had a desk job. Listen to your body and talk to your Doc. I'd definitely at least cut back if you're feeling it though. Good luck and you're almost there!!

Thanks!! I talked to my boss about cutting back to 3 days a week. I'll still be working on our busiest days, but having those 2 days in between, seem to already make me feel relieved. My body is definitely telling me to slow down, and I need to listen. :)

10. sreal02

QUOTE(idril @ Feb 6 2009, 11:47 AM) [snapback]1178705[/snapback]
    I cut back to 1/2 time (4 hours a day) at 28 weeks and stopped working entirely at 34 weeks. I had a desk job and no other kids. So I'm very impressed that you're still going as strong as you are!

Thanks! ;) I talked to my boss about cutting back to 3 days a week & it sounds like it will work out. I'm so relieved.

QUOTE(scrappycindy @ Feb 6 2009, 11:59 AM) [snapback]1178727[/snapback]
    I'm planning on quitting at 32 weeks, if I make it that far... they know I could have to quit earlier if I develop health issues.

I hope you reach your goal!!! :)

11. sreal02

QUOTE(kimr @ Feb 6 2009, 01:33 PM) [snapback]1178916[/snapback]
    I worked at a desk job while pregnant with the girls and due to complications my doc pulled me out of working at the office at 28 weeks, I was able to work at home and come in on Saturdays (as long as my dh drove me, its about a 45 minute drive on the weekend or 45 minute train ride during rush hour). If I hadn't had the health issues I had, my dr was going to cut me down to only a couple of days in the office at 32 weeks or cut me off completely. As it was the health issue resolved itself (I had placenta previa), but by 34 weeks I couldn't work at home anymore I was so uncomfortable and extremely tired from not sleeping well. So at 34 weeks, even though I was working from home, I stopped working. And not a day to soon, my last day was a Friday and my water broke the following Tuesday! So listen to your body, don't worry about what anyone else has to say - you know what you feel like and your dr. will be more than happy when you tell him/her that you want to cut back from working. Good luck!

Wow! Perfect timing on your last day. You did great!

Thanks....I spoke to my boss about cutting back to 3 days a week. Thankfully, it sounds like it'll work out. I still be working on our busiest days, but I'll see how long I can manage that. I'm definitely going to listen to my body & take it from there. ;)

12. sreal02

QUOTE(caba @ Feb 6 2009, 03:33 PM) [snapback]1179150[/snapback]
    I worked until 34 weeks with my twins, but I stopped going into the office at 28 weeks. I was able to fully work from home (I'm a software developer), so I was able to just lay in bed with my laptop ... and take breaks (and naps!) as needed ... it worked out great so that I could still earn a good paycheck, but not push myself.

This time around, who the heck knows what will happen! I'm hoping my job will be that flexible again!

That is awesome & sounds like the perfect set-up! Good for you!! Good luck this time around & hopefully it'll work out just to be just as flexible.

I spoke to my boss today about cutting back to 3 days a week and it sounds like it'll work out. I'm so relieved!

13. Valyre

Valyre Well-Known Member

My MFS thinks we have a very mild case of TTTS so he had me reduce my hours from 40 to 20 per week at 17wks. At 19wks (today) he wrote me a note to stop working entirely. I have a desk job and no other kids. Honestly, I feel like I must be a wimp to be stopping work so soon. To make matters worse, my co-worker just got let go. She's out of a job and I'm sitting at home getting a paycheck.

Depending on your job, you may want to check your short term disability situation. For me, I was making 50% of my normal pay when I took a reduction in hours. Disability will pay me 66% of my pay for zero hours.

I really am impressed by those that can work until about 30wks. Even with reduced hours I was getting muscle spasms in my belly, backaches, and I would come home worn out.

14. njobe

njobe Well-Known Member

I am 22w3d and on strict bed rest with bathroom privelages only, pretty much since 19 weeks. I have been working from home since because I bring in the only income right now. I have to go inpatient at 24 weeks and will continue to work from there. Unfortuantely I dont qualify for FMLA or have any STD since I work for such a small company. My boss is accomading me though, which is very cool. So i'll be working until the bitter end, but from the bed not the office.

15. lewis514

lewis514 Well-Known Member

I work from home (when not traveling) so luckily I can rest midday if needed as long as I get my work done. My job requires travel but I stopped flying 2/1.

16. newjersey_mom

newjersey_mom Well-Known Member

I was about 25-26 weeks when work started getting a little tougher each day. However I am out now on bedrest because of preterm labor that started Wednesday at work. Talk to your doctors...I was talking to both of mine before this happened and I think I would have been pulled soon if I hadn't gone into labor. Find out what they think...do what your body tells you and don't push it!

17. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I am at 21 weeks, and I just can't see myself hanging in there for that much longer. My job's been pretty stressful with layoffs looming etc, so I don't think that helps at all. Fortunately I can work from home, but even with that, I am very tired and I have started to get some pain when I am hoofing it between the bus and the office. My office is also encouraging me to go on disability leave ASAP so that they don't have to lay me off! So I'd guess at around 28 weeks I'll be done.

18. Double Vision

Double Vision Well-Known Member

I am only 15 weeks now, but since I am a teacher I will only be working until the 20th week. Bedrest from there on out!

19. esbuckell

esbuckell Well-Known Member

I'm 28 weeks today. I teach high school, so I don't have to be on my feet as much as an elementary teacher. The kids are great about running errands and passing out papers for me. I'm worn out at the end of the day, but I don't have any children yet (just the dogs and cats). I'm hoping to work until the end of March, but we'll see what the doctor says. She did advise me to get a belly belt. I found one with a back support(Mother to Be Maternity Support) that I like. I find that wearing the pants with the full belly coverage helps. They keep my skin from getting irritated and the belt doesn't push the pants down. I take it off part way through the day if it's irritating me. The belly belt really, really helps, though. I can feel a huge difference on the days that I forget to put it on.

Best of luck to you! I can relate to having a job you can't do from home. I teach foreign language and there just aren't many subs out there that can cover the material. I'm also a bit overprotective of my classroom. I want the students to get the most they can from the class. It'll be hard to leave when I have to, but there's such a good reason for it.

20. jnholman

jnholman Well-Known Member

I am almost 29w and am still going strong. I plan on working until my water breaks or there is a medical reason for me to stay home. I work 4/12 hour days a week. I too love my maternity belt and find that it really helps.

So far so good,
    Jenn

21. HoneyBear23

HoneyBear23 Well-Known Member

Definitely listen to your body. I was working 40+ hrs/wk on my feet (Cardiac surgery) up until 27w4 when I was dropped down to 6 hr days (30 hrs/wk) which was plenty. I could've made it longer at full-time but I didn't want to stress myself and the babies. Plus my 9 and 11 y/o SD's were living with us then too.

22. lorimphinney

lorimphinney Member

I'm 29 weeks with di/di boys and am hoping to work until the bitter end as well! My due date is April 29th, and I know i'll probably never get that far...April 10th is game over for me working, no matter what! I think that's pretty good!

I'm a nurse practitioner, and my job is mostly sitting talking to patients, other then when I have to do an exam. I'm very tired by the end of the day working three 12 hr shifts. They just told us last night that nation wide our clinic is going to a 10 hour weekday. I'm going to lose some pay this way, but will gladly take less hours. I'm going to get one of those belts everyone is talking about, and try to put my feet up more often!

23. sreal02

QUOTE(Valyre @ Feb 6 2009, 04:47 PM) [snapback]1179278[/snapback]
    My MFS thinks we have a very mild case of TTTS so he had me reduce my hours from 40 to 20 per week at 17wks. At 19wks (today) he wrote me a note to stop working entirely. I have a desk job and no other kids. Honestly, I feel like I must be a wimp to be stopping work so soon. To make matters worse, my co-worker just got let go. She's out of a job and I'm sitting at home getting a paycheck.

Depending on your job, you may want to check your short term disability situation. For me, I was making 50% of my normal pay when I took a reduction in hours. Disability will pay me 66% of my pay for zero hours.

I really am impressed by those that can work until about 30wks. Even with reduced hours I was getting muscle spasms in my belly, backaches, and I would come home worn out.

Don't feel like a wimp! Especially if your Dr. feels you should stop working!! I cut back to 3 days, and last week was my first 3 day week. I'm so thankful that I made the decision to cut back. Even after those 3 days, I was SO tired when I got home.

Best of luck & I hope the TTTS stays very mild & uneventful!

24. sreal02

QUOTE(texasmomof5 @ Feb 6 2009, 05:52 PM) [snapback]1179352[/snapback]
    I am 22w3d and on strict bed rest with bathroom privelages only, pretty much since 19 weeks. I have been working from home since because I bring in the only income right now. I have to go inpatient at 24 weeks and will continue to work from there. Unfortuantely I dont qualify for FMLA or have any STD since I work for such a small company. My boss is accomading me though, which is very cool. So i'll be working until the bitter end, but from the bed not the office.

Wow!! I really want to avoid any type of bed rest, not that you can help it, right?!? ;) Good luck & I hope you can continue working the end!

QUOTE(lewis514 @ Feb 6 2009, 09:36 PM) [snapback]1179614[/snapback]
    I work from home (when not traveling) so luckily I can rest midday if needed as long as I get my work done. My job requires travel but I stopped flying 2/1.

Sounds perfect!! ;)

25. sreal02

QUOTE(Kerry Culvert @ Feb 7 2009, 05:08 PM) [snapback]1180951[/snapback]
    I was about 25-26 weeks when work started getting a little tougher each day. However I am out now on bedrest because of preterm labor that started Wednesday at work. Talk to your doctors...I was talking to both of mine before this happened and I think I would have been pulled soon if I hadn't gone into labor. Find out what they think...do what your body tells you and don't push it!

The Pre-term labor was my fear. Especially with all the pain & BH ctx I was having. My OB told me that I can stay working as long as I feel comfortable doing so. Last week was my 1st 3 day week & while still tiring, it definitely made a difference for the better.

26. sreal02

QUOTE(Rollergiraffe @ Feb 7 2009, 06:28 PM) [snapback]1180994[/snapback]
    I am at 21 weeks, and I just can't see myself hanging in there for that much longer. My job's been pretty stressful with layoffs looming etc, so I don't think that helps at all. Fortunately I can work from home, but even with that, I am very tired and I have started to get some pain when I am hoofing it between the bus and the office. My office is also encouraging me to go on disability leave ASAP so that they don't have to lay me off! So I'd guess at around 28 weeks I'll be done.

Good luck!! Still sounds tiring, even with being able to work from home.

QUOTE(Double Vision @ Feb 7 2009, 06:56 PM) [snapback]1181017[/snapback]
    I am only 15 weeks now, but since I am a teacher I will only be working until the 20th week. Bedrest from there on out!

Good luck!!

27. sreal02

QUOTE(writerswife @ Feb 8 2009, 09:37 AM) [snapback]1181572[/snapback]
    I'm 28 weeks today. I teach high school, so I don't have to be on my feet as much as an elementary teacher. The kids are great about running errands and passing out papers for me. I'm worn out at the end of the day, but I don't have any children yet (just the dogs and cats). I'm hoping to work until the end of March, but we'll see what the doctor says. She did advise me to get a belly belt. I found one with a back support(Mother to Be Maternity Support) that I like. I find that wearing the pants with the full belly coverage helps. They keep my skin from getting irritated and the belt doesn't push the pants down. I take it off part way through the day if it's irritating me. The belly belt really, really helps, though. I can feel a huge difference on the days that I forget to put it on.

Best of luck to you! I can relate to having a job you can't do from home. I teach foreign language and there just aren't many subs out there that can cover the material. I'm also a bit overprotective of my classroom. I want the students to get the most they can from the class. It'll be hard to leave when I have to, but there's such a good reason for it.

Thanks! That is great your students help out so much. I hope you can continue going strong & stick it out as long as you need to. I only have the Bella Bands...which are not much support. lol Good luck!

28. sreal02

QUOTE(Jenn Bland @ Feb 8 2009, 12:07 PM) [snapback]1181706[/snapback]
    I am almost 29w and am still going strong. I plan on working until my water breaks or there is a medical reason for me to stay home. I work 4/12 hour days a week. I too love my maternity belt and find that it really helps.

So far so good,
    Jenn

Wow...Super Twin Mama!! Good luck & I hope you reach your goal!! :)

29. sreal02

QUOTE(December Miracle @ Feb 9 2009, 11:14 AM) [snapback]1182709[/snapback]
    Definitely listen to your body. I was working 40+ hrs/wk on my feet (Cardiac surgery) up until 27w4 when I was dropped down to 6 hr days (30 hrs/wk) which was plenty. I could've made it longer at full-time but I didn't want to stress myself and the babies. Plus my 9 and 11 y/o SD's were living with us then too.

Thanks! Good luck with the 6 hr days!!

30. sreal02

QUOTE(lorimphinney @ Feb 9 2009, 12:58 PM) [snapback]1182852[/snapback]
    I'm 29 weeks with di/di boys and am hoping to work until the bitter end as well! My due date is April 29th, and I know i'll probably never get that far...April 10th is game over for me working, no matter what! I think that's pretty good!

I'm a nurse practitioner, and my job is mostly sitting talking to patients, other then when I have to do an exam. I'm very tired by the end of the day working three 12 hr shifts. They just told us last night that nation wide our clinic is going to a 10 hour weekday. I'm going to lose some pay this way, but will gladly take less hours. I'm going to get one of those belts everyone is talking about, and try to put my feet up more often!

Good luck on reaching your goal date!!!

31. Farrah

Farrah Well-Known Member

I work 3 12 hour shifts as a nurse and this last week has been really hard. So far the babies are doing good...I guess it's just me thats suffering...LOL! I would love to cut back to 8 hours a day but I would have to have a note from the MD, which they don't want to give me yet! I have a 10 year old and 6 year old to take care of (all the time) and a 8 year old and 6 year old (part-time, they are my stepsons) so I don't always get the rest that I need....I guess I can manage another 2 weeks atleast until I go back to the doctor. Hopefully they will give in to my "complaining" then! Hang in there girls, we can do it!!!!

32. jnholman

jnholman Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Aimee_N @ Feb 14 2009, 10:48 AM) [snapback]1189981[/snapback]
    Wow...Super Twin Mama!! Good luck & I hope you reach your goal!! :)

Oh, no I am not a super girl. I am definately very stubborn and thick headed. I just keep going, but today, I am very tired after my long work day. I am reminded everyday that I am slowing down.

Jenn

33. newjersey_mom

newjersey_mom Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Aimee_N @ Feb 14 2009, 01:43 PM) [snapback]1189971[/snapback]
    The Pre-term labor was my fear. Especially with all the pain & BH ctx I was having. My OB told me that I can stay working as long as I feel comfortable doing so. Last week was my 1st 3 day week & while still tiring, it definitely made a difference for the better.

I honestly wasn't even thinking about pre-term labor because all my checks with the peri indicated I was doing great. It snuck up on me so fast. They were telling me to stay as long as I was comfortable too and then they'd take it from there. As I said we had started the discussion. I did get one of those maternity support belts too and it did help a little. It is worth a try. Good luck with the 3 day weeks, hope they help you!

34. sreal02

QUOTE(2moreontheway @ Feb 14 2009, 11:07 PM) [snapback]1190396[/snapback]
    I work 3 12 hour shifts as a nurse and this last week has been really hard. So far the babies are doing good...I guess it's just me thats suffering...LOL! I would love to cut back to 8 hours a day but I would have to have a note from the MD, which they don't want to give me yet! I have a 10 year old and 6 year old to take care of (all the time) and a 8 year old and 6 year old (part-time, they are my stepsons) so I don't always get the rest that I need....I guess I can manage another 2 weeks atleast until I go back to the doctor. Hopefully they will give in to my "complaining" then! Hang in there girls, we can do it!!!!

Gosh, I'm amazed at you mom's that are working 12 hour shifts!! Then to hear you're "cutting back" to just 8 hours....I feel like such a whiner!! lol I completely understand about coming home & then having your other kiddo's to spend time with & not getting the rest you need. I really hope you can manage your next 2 weeks & you won't make yourself suffer too much until then! ;) You can do it & Good luck!

35. sreal02

QUOTE(Jenn Bland @ Feb 14 2009, 11:32 PM) [snapback]1190414[/snapback]
    Oh, no I am not a super girl. I am definately very stubborn and thick headed. I just keep going, but today, I am very tired after my long work day. I am reminded everyday that I am slowing down.

Jenn

Aw, I'm sorry you are starting to feel like it's catching up with you. Some days are definitely harder than others!