Working from home with twins?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by ca2pa2005, Oct 1, 2007.

1. ca2pa2005

ca2pa2005 Well-Known Member

I am curious to hear if they are any other mothers out there who work from home with twins. I currently work from home full-time and am expecting twins in January. I figured with one baby I could continue to juggle it without having to hire a lot of help. With twins I am open to hiring someone to come in part-time to help if needed but wanted to hear what everyone else's experience has been. I do have some flexibility with my job in terms of when I get my work done. I can work nights and weekends if needed but there are some times where I need to be available during the week day. DH is home by 3:45 during the week so he can help out when he comes home. I don't think I need someone to come in 40/hrs a week but I don't know what is realistic. WDYT?

2. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I don't work from home, but personally think it would be very hard to work from home with twins with no help. There is just so much to do with twin, especially when they are younger, like feeding, changing, etc, it takes some time. I personally would think you would need to hire some help. I couldn't imagine working from home with twins, even mine now, without help.

3. Overachiever

Overachiever Well-Known Member

I've been doing it for 9 months now!

It was easier in the beginning when they were quiet and not mobile. Around 4-6 months it got harder, but they still slept a lot, so I could hurry make all my phone calls during a nap.

Now, they're into everything and VERY vocal, with only a total of 2.5 hrs naptime a day, if I'm lucky at the same time.
    It's becoming nearly impossible.

Until now, I've taken them to daycare (a dear family member) about 2ce a week, total of 10 hrs so I can have "office" days. When DH gets home, 6pm, I'm often running out the door. Gone all weekend, too.

Now, I'm realizing that I have to get them to daycare more like 4 half days if I'm going to get anything done.

Truly, I'm grateful for the last 9 mos I've had with them.

Good luck!

4. annlubbers

annlubbers Well-Known Member

Hey,
    I was wondering the same thing. I also will be working from home when the little ones are born (the boys are currently due in the October/November time frame) and we (DH and I) are going for the part-time help route. We've been looking at Daycares but we have also started the interview process for part-time nanny help.

We are looking for someone to start at the beginning of January for about 20 hours a week. We think if the person starts at noon and works till 5 - they would be able to help with lunch/naptime/afternoon snacks and I can slam out work and I take care of them in the morning. We thought with this schedule I'd also be able ot plan work better, such as meeting/con-calls/client visits.

We don't know if will work, but cost wise, in house care and daycare pretty much run about the same.

5. ladybutterflyrose

ladybutterflyrose Well-Known Member

I don't have any personal experience with this, but my brother and SIL do. He works and goes to school outside of the home and she works as a full-time mortgage broker with an office in their home. They have a full-time nanny for their one child and say they wouldn't be able to take care of their DD during the day. The nanny also helps to do laundry and cook when it's needed. I think this is a big help to them b/c they can both have longer days and this helps them stay organized. Hope sharing this experience is helpful.

6. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Since TS does not allow for duplicate posts I am closing this one. Please reply here.