Work outs?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by watersurfers, Mar 11, 2009.

1. watersurfers

watersurfers Well-Known Member

Hi all! I am 19.5 weeks pregnant. This is my second pregnancy. During my first pregnancy, I would walk in the evening for about 30 minutes, five times a week, up until I delivered. I was trying to do something similar in this twin pregnancy, but when I walk for about 20 minutes, everything starts to hurt a bit. If feels like its being pulled, like my uterus is stretching and my muscles get sore. Has anyone experienced this? It has made me leery of walking for fear that I will cause something bad to happen. Does anyone have any alternatives to "light" exercise that I could try instead? Thanks ladies!!

2. lorinboyett

lorinboyett Well-Known Member

Maybe try the Prenatal Yoga videos. I haven't tried them but I've heard some are good. Good luck!

3. aydensmom

aydensmom Active Member

Hello! I have been jogging/walking my whole pregnancy and I am almost 28 weeks. I use to jog 2 miles about 4 times a week and kept this up until about 18 weeks then I just would walk the two miles. I have since cut it down to about a mile and a half only b/c I walk on my lunch break at work and I am walking at a slow pace. I get these pains occasionally and either slow down a bit or cut my walk short. It only happens on some days though. I would say try a slower pace and make sure to drink lots of water when you are walking and if it continues mention it to your ob. You have to remember with a twin pg there is way more pressure and weight earlier in the pregnancy which could be causing these aches and pains. HTH. :winking:

4. jnholman

jnholman Well-Known Member

I worked out until I was 30w. I used my maternity belt and it was a life saver. My hips were able to stay together and I did not have any pain.

Use the tools that are available to us. The tools really help you go through life a little more comfortable.

Jenn

5. flygirlcdh

flygirlcdh Well-Known Member

Have you tried a maternity belt? At nineteen weeks I couldn't go shopping or do anything on my feet for more than an hour or two without feeling miserable. At 20 weeks I got a maternity belt and was able to go shopping for 8 hours and never felt like I needed to sit down once. If you haven't tried this you should because from what I've read on here they've helped lots of people not just me.

6. newpairofschus

newpairofschus Well-Known Member

QUOTE(mollyelizabeth @ Mar 11 2009, 10:21 AM) [snapback]1223374[/snapback]
    Does anyone have any alternatives to "light" exercise that I could try instead?

Yoga, yoga, yoga. It has changed my prenatal world! I feel SO much better when I do it regularly than when I don't. It's fabulous for your core strength, breathing (and blood pressure), flexibility, etc., etc. Just make sure that any yoga you do is specifically for pregnant women and keep in mind that your body is going to be different than that of a singleton's mom, so you may have to dial back on some of the stuff more than you'd expect earlier than you'd expect.

Everyone is different, as is every doctor's recommendations, but my doctor pretty much cut me off of the walking regimine pretty early. She said that the impact of walking for extended periods doesn't do our cervixes any favors because of the excess burden they are already supporting. Her recommendations for twin-friendly exercise was prenatal yoga or water exercises.

Eve

7. kitkat72783

kitkat72783 Well-Known Member

I loke yoga too, But also I go to the Y an swim from time to time awsome for back pain and no gravity pully everything down :D

8. bkpjlp

bkpjlp Well-Known Member

I ran 3 mi until 23 weeks, then walked up until 28 weeks. I had too much pressure down below. Plus, the minute I would start, I would have to pee right away, even though I went about 3 minutes earlier. <_<

But my OB was fine with what I was doing and I also mentioned to him that I did crunchs and chest exercises (pec flies, etc) while sitting on a stability ball. He was fine with that and said using a stability ball is actually the best way to be doing anything.

Otherwise, I had 2 prenatal DVDs and enjoyed them. Very nice stretching and low impact.

9. lewis514

lewis514 Well-Known Member

I worked out until about 28 weeks. I stopped because Baby B was lagging behind in growth.

I worked out every other day. On the first day, I lifted upper body weights for 10-15 minutes and then walked on the treadmill for 10-15 minutes. On the alternate days, I did a prenatal yoga DVD. I did the one with Shiva Rea and got it on Amazon.com. I really liked it and plan to use it post partum to get back in shape.

My OB said I could do as much as I wanted as long as I could carry on a conversation. I would ask your OB for recommendations as well or see if your hospital has any classes (mine had prenatal yoga but it didn't fit my schedule).

10. teafor2

teafor2 Well-Known Member

I had the opposite problem, I was so sluggish and exhausted for the first 3 months that my usual 4-6 heavy workouts a week dwindled down to one light workout, maybe 2 if I was lucky! Here's what I've been able to do in the second trimester, and I've been feeling much better (I do have to be careful though!):

1) Like PP, I've been swimming at the Y once a week - swimming feels AMAZING while I'm doing it! I am able to really get a good workout and go as hard as I can/want, as long as I stop every now and then to take inventory and make sure I'm not too hot/breathing too hard. But it feels amazing to have your body supported and to stretch out so much in the water.
    2) For about 4 weeks now have been doing an amazing prenatal yoga video (never did yoga before), it is Crunch Yoga Mama Pre-Natal Yoga, you can order it at amazon.com.
    3) Finally, I've been able to add in two days a week of low-impact aerobics DVDs (walking DVDs are good, I like Gilad's 60 & 30 Minute Low-Impact Workouts also on amazon.com), and for that I wear a maternity belt and just take certain moves slowly. Like PP said, that maternity belt is so helpful!

Good luck to you! Remember to do only what feels good to you and not to push yourself.