won't drink cow's milk

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by ddancerd1, Nov 6, 2014.

1. ddancerd1

ddancerd1 Well-Known Member

baby is almost 14 months old.  I've tried giving her cow's milk... she has zero interest.  I don't want to stop breastfeeding completely, but i'd like to cut out a few feedings.  I've tried different sippies - regular and straw... regular cups... is there any way I can get her to take a liking to it without having to pump my milk out and do it that way?

2. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Does she drink anything out of a sippy cup?

3. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

You don't need to offer cow's milk. It's just a convenient vehicle to deliver calcium, fat, and protein which are all available from other food sources. Ultimately, if she's still breastfeeding at least 3x/day she doesn't need any supplementary milk. Give her lots of chances to practice drinking from cups (just water is fine) and she'll get there.

4. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Rachel is right.  If she is still getting your milk 3 times a day, she's fine.  It'll come.  don't worry about it.  :)  You're doing GREAT!!!

5. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I wouldn't bother with the milk either.. you could try yogurt and cheese if you are worried about calcium too!

6. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly, neither of my twins rank cow's milk as long as they were nursing although they loved joghurt and cheese. Once they weaned DS started drinking cow's milk but we needed to dilute it for DD for a long time - she did not like the taste. Actually, she still does not and rarely drinks milk. As she has plenty of other dairy I am not worried. I was the same as a child and it turned out later that I have a mild lactose intolerance, my body was just telling me which dairy products work for it and which don't.

7. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

8. ddancerd1

ddancerd1 Well-Known Member

thanks, guys!  she LOVES ice cold water from her straw sippies.  LOVES!  so the sippies aren't an issue.  she likes cheese, but not really yogurt (she prefers salty over sweet... not sure who's kid she is lol)... so then I won't worry so much about the cow's milk intake... I was worried, because my mom (old school, didn't breastfeed, thinks it's time for me to stop) is gently pushing it.  I don't think that cow's milk should take the place of breastmilk, but I was getting concerned that maybe that was what the next step was supposed to be...? 

9. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

I agree that you don't need it, but if you want to, you could try almond milk and see if she likes that - it has as much calcium and protein as cow's milk (maybe more, if I remember right).