Who worried about percentiles?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Kaie05, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Kaie05

Kaie05 Well-Known Member

I took our girls to a new pedi on Tuesday to hopefully get a more proactive approach to their vomiting. When we went the doctor weighed them and told me their percentiles. When Marleigh went in to get her shots last week she weighed 8.13 and Ryleigh weighed 9.2- on Tuesday Marleigh weighed 8.7 and Ryleigh weighed 9.2. He told me Marleigh is in the 10th percentile and Ryleigh is in the 25th- at what point are percentiles a concern?
    I told him Marleigh weighed 8.13 last week and had lost 6 ounces in not ven 7 days and he kind of overlooked that (time to switch again, right!). They're 8 weeks old/2 months old on the 4th..does this seem normal?

2. stacy.alderfer@yahoo.com

[email protected] Well-Known Member

They seem great! Don't worry about percentiles. All it means is that 74 kids the same age as yours are bigger, and 24 the same age as yours are smaller, on average. The thing you want to see is that they continue to grow at the same rate, or increase. So, next time you go to the doc, they should continue to be in the 25% or higher for their age and that is fine.

My babies were in the 3% since birth, and they are now in the 5% - even though they are tiny, they are staying consistently tiny and growing at a normal rate for their size.

Sounds like you're doing a great job!

3. becky5

becky5 Guest

I wouldn't worry about the %'s as much as the lack of weight gain and weight loss. I know you are struggling with reflux, but it sounds like 'the plan' isn't working, kwim? When do they go back to the GI doc? :hug:

4. Kaie05

Kaie05 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(becky5 @ Apr 30 2009, 10:20 AM) [snapback]1294945[/snapback]
    I wouldn't worry about the %'s as much as the lack of weight gain and weight loss. I know you are struggling with reflux, but it sounds like 'the plan' isn't working, kwim? When do they go back to the GI doc? :hug:

I have to wait and talk to their pedi today about the GI, hopefully soon though

5. tundrababy

tundrababy Well-Known Member

Hopefully you get something figured out with the doc!! But don't worry too much my boys are actually on the charts - they both are in the 0 percentile (yes its possible) the charts are just some of the tools the peds use to monitor growth. So despite my boys not being on the chart, they are on the same growth pattern and are keeping up developmental wise. It is hard not to worry about it sometimes though

6. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

As long as they continue to grow on their own curve the percentile is just a guide.

7. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

QUOTE(DATJMom @ Apr 30 2009, 11:01 AM) [snapback]1295018[/snapback]
    As long as they continue to grow on their own curve the percentile is just a guide.

Yep. I don't worry about percentiles. My little chunky monkey is only in the 20% for weight, but he is like 90% for height. As long as they don't drop off THEIR OWN curve, it should be fine.

8. babymOmmax2

babymOmmax2 Well-Known Member

I think their doing just fine :good: Like the pp's said, it's just a guideline, and if it's a cause for concern down the road, I'm sure it'll be addressed.

9. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

percentiles are really only a worry if your LO were to be at (for example) the 50% & then suddenly dropped to the 10%.

as for the new doc shrugging off the weight change, that's likely (at least partially) a difference between the two scales. scales can sometimes be calibrated very differently from each other.

10. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

My boys were on their own scale for the first 6 months. That's right, less than 0%. They have been around 3% since then. Someone once told me here that "someone has to be at the bottom". They are 50% and 75% for height so you'd never know they only weighed 21 and 22lbs at 18 months. I agree with pp...as long as they are not falling in their % (and significantly) it's nothing for concern. I also would give the dr. another chance as oz's really aren't that much especially with all she has been vomiting.

11. artemis

artemis Well-Known Member

Percentiles don't mean a ton by themselves. It's more about their overall growth following a curve. My DD is under the 3rd percentile but it's not a major concern because she's sticking to that same percentile every month! We're obviously working to get her # up higher but having a low percentile doesn't mean anything terrible by itself. My husband and I are also smaller and were always low on the percentiles, so the ped doesn't expect our kids to be high on the charts.

If they go up or down suddenly, that's a clue for the doctor to look into it further. Has your DD been around 10th percentile in the past or is she dropping down?

12. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

Nate and Jack have never been on the chart. Yeah, sometimes I worry about it, but I feed them some sort of food (either bottle or solids) every 1-2 hours from morning until night. I don't know how much more I can really do. The doctor says to offer high quality food, make sure they're eating well, and they'll grow at their own pace.

13. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Like others have said the percentile is just a guide. When mine went for their 12 month check up they were on the 50% for height and 5% percentile for weight. When we went back for their 15 month appointment, they were still on the same percentile for height and DS was still 5% for weight and DD 10% for weight. Our pedi told us not too worry because they have been consistent with their own growth curve. I know that you are dealing with reflux and it is hard not worry about how they are growing. I hope they can straighten the reflux out for you soon!

14. kdanielleflowers

kdanielleflowers Well-Known Member

I never knew my girls' percentiles until last visit when they told me they were taking BK off the preemie chart (well, she kinda took herself off) and now plot her on a full-term baby chart.

Don't get too hung up on it. As long as they are thriving, that's what matters. :babyflips: :babyflips: