When to have the Santa Talk...

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by Chrissy Nelson, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson Well-Known Member

My girls are going to be 9 in Jan and they still believe in Santa. I feel like I should tell them but hate to have to break it to them. How old were your kids and how did you talk about it?

2. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I am certain that older kids at daycare have told my 7yo. She asked me not long ago if Santa was real and I just said 'what do you think?' and she said she didnt think he was...and I said 'well you know once you dont believe in Santa anymore, he stops visiting' and I winked and smiled at her...she still believes :laughing:

1 person likes this.
  3. momotwinsmom

momotwinsmom Well-Known Member

My girls were 10. I wouldn't have told them unless they asked, but Brooke googled it on her own (right before Christmas last year) and then asked me if it was true that he is a fictional/mystical character. At that point last Christmas, Morgan still believed. She believed up until sometime this summer, when Brooke said she wanted her to know too. I wasn't going tell them unless they asked. At that point last year, Brooke was asking me several times a day, and it was becoming annoying. The funny thing is they asked me later about the Easter Bunny and Tooth Fairy. I was like "you know Santa isn't real, but you're asking me about a life sized bunny and a flying fairy?" They were like "oh yeah". :faint:

1 person likes this.
  4. Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson Well-Known Member

LOL, the girls asked me and I just said "do you think he is real". They still think Mickey Mouse is real at Disney but all the people dressed up at Universal they called out as people in outfits.

5. mnellson

mnellson Well-Known Member

It's a hard thing, really. I think they get to the point when they really aren't sure. Then the next year, they have it figured out, but don't want it to be true! I really love Santa, so I dread telling my kids. But I've heard of people who feel like they're lying when they talk about Santa. I guess it must feel like that with older kids?
    When my cousin found out there was no Santa, she was really upset. She yelled at her mother "I bet you're going to tell me Jesus Christ is fake, too!". Imagine my VERY Catholic aunt trying to convince her that Jesus IS real! lol

My mother always said,"If you believe, you will receive". We believed for a LONG time.
    There's a new 3D Christmas movie coming out, Arthur Christmas, that explains Santa's "high tech" North Pole operation. Looks cute and may squeeze another year out of those kids who are on the fence.

6. Moodyzblu

Moodyzblu Well-Known Member

Mine have always known (we've just never done the whole Santa, Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny thing) but I think if they DID believe, I'm sure they would figure it at some point. Like Heather said .. her's Googled it. I think they eventually figure it out on their own around 10, maybe sooner.
    I think you had the right answer .. that's probably what I would have said.

1 person likes this.
  7. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My oldest is 9.5 and so far still believes, and I don't plan to tell him until he stops believing on his own :wub: When I stopped believing my mom brought me in on the secret for my 3 younger siblings, Santa still brought me something just something very small, and I got to help keep the secret for the younger kids. I plan to do that for Sean as well.

8. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if mine entirely believe, and they're almost 6. I was very reluctant to let them believe in Santa at all, but they started talking about Santa around age 3 when they heard about him in daycare, and I didn't have the heart to tell them the truth then. Since then, I've had to explain why Santas in stores aren't real, what the elves do, etc. I try to keep the story consistent, but I think they'll figure it out someday. I'm certainly not going to insist on it if they start to question -- I think I'll be relieved when they figure it out.

9. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

My kids still believe. They also know that Santa has lots of helpers around to bring stuff and work in malls etc. They are also Jewish, so I think the hybrid helps keep the belief alive. They know that Santa brings some of the gifts that they get and he knows to leave them at Grandma and Grandpa's house in SC. :)

10. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My oldest daughter is 11 and she still believes in Santa. :) I am really glad about that. I don't plan to say anything to any of my kids until they stop believing on their own.

2 people like this.
  11. 4jsinPA

4jsinPA Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My oldest asked me about two years ago so she was 9. She was ready for the truth and I always thought if I was asked point blank I couldn't lie to them. Jack will be 9 in January and asked me and before I could answer he said "I think he is real". So he isn't ready yet. Personally I can't wait for them to all find out. Its so stressful hiding and sneaking around!!

12. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

We attest to when you stop believing in Santa he stops bringing you presents and starts bringing underwear :lol: hopefully we will have another little one in the family by the time they are 10

13. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

My oldest 2 know... Sage figured it out when she read a "history of Santa" on the back of the comics page when she was 6 printed by obvious idiots at the newspaper! Trey figured it out 2 years ago, shortly before turning 10. Adam just turned 9 and I'm pretty sure he still believes. If my kids ask, I tell them the truth. But up til then, I let them believe. Once they do know about Santa, they get to help "play" Santa by staying up late filling stockings and such. They have a lot of fun taking nibbles out of cookies on the plate and feel very grown up with that, but still are in on some of the magic. I think I'll feel sad when Spencer's old enough to know and there's no one younger to pretend for.

14. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I don't remember my parents ever telling me, I just figured it out on my own. I haven't ever told my older kids (even the one that is almost 16) and they haven't really asked. Do they still believe? Of course not, but we have never actually had the conversation & we all continue the pretense since we have 5 year olds in the house.

15. kim01

kim01 Well-Known Member

I don't see any reason to tell them the truth. I do like you if they ask I would just ask like you do already. And let them believe until they no longer believve any longer. No reason to not let them believe, if they believe until they are 13 thats fine.. if they are 10 thats fine. whats the harm? its part of the holiday :) just enjoy while they do.

16. mnellson

mnellson Well-Known Member

I just saw this and I thought it was a very nice way one Mom explained it to her daughter:

Dear Lucy,
    Thank you for your letter. You asked a very good question: “Are you Santa?”
    I know you’ve wanted the answer to this question for a long time, and I’ve had to give it careful thought to know just what to say.
    The answer is no. I am not Santa. There is no one Santa.
    I am the person who fills your stockings with presents, though. I also choose and wrap the presents under the tree, the same way my mom did for me, and the same way her mom did for her. (And yes, Daddy helps, too.)
    I imagine you will someday do this for your children, and I know you will love seeing them run down the stairs on Christmas morning. You will love seeing them sit under the tree, their small faces lit with Christmas lights.
    This won’t make you Santa, though.
    Santa is bigger than any person, and his work has gone on longer than any of us have lived. What he does is simple, but it is powerful. He teaches children how to have belief in something they can’t see or touch.
    It’s a big job, and it’s an important one. Throughout your life, you will need this capacity to believe: in yourself, in your friends, in your talents and in your family. You’ll also need to believe in things you can’t measure or even hold in your hand. Here, I am talking about love, that great power that will light your life from the inside out, even during its darkest, coldest moments.
    Santa is a teacher, and I have been his student, and now you know the secret of how he gets down all those chimneys on Christmas Eve: he has help from all the people whose hearts he’s filled with joy.
    With full hearts, people like Daddy and me take our turns helping Santa do a job that would otherwise be impossible.
    So, no. I am not Santa. Santa is love and magic and hope and happiness. I’m on his team, and now you are, too.
    I love you and I always will.
    Mama