When to announce the pregnancy?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by FGMH, Oct 24, 2013.

1. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

When would you announce the pregnancy? We let the grandparents and our siblings know quite early on, partly because we all saw them for a family gathering and I so nauseous they would have guessed anyway, partly because I want the support in case things go wrong.

Our 4 year-olds don't know yet as I would hate having to explain a miscarriage to them and with my history that is still a possibility. And I have not told work yet either, partly because I am dreading the repetition of the fight with my partners about when I will return to work and what part-time model they would tolerate etc.

I am now 10 weeks and I am already beginning to show quite clearly although I have not gained any weight, add to that the bad nausea, the exhaustion and that I am not allowed to fly, and I guess most of my colleagues have a pretty good idea already. And the kids sense that something is going on with me but obviously don't know what is "wrong".

What would you do? When did you let the older siblings know? When did you let work know? Wait until at least 12 or 13 weeks? Tell now?

2. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

I'd go with your gut.

With this pregnancy, we told the kids after we saw the heartbeat at the 6wk ultrasound. Mostly because we didn't want to slip up around them or have them learn from someone else. We had them FaceTime with our siblings and the grandparents to tell them. (Except my MIL, who came to the appt with us. She was one of the very few who knew before that ultrasound.)

It was around 9 or 10 weeks that we announced things to the world, meaning Facebook. :D

I think it comes down to what you feel comfortable with honestly. :hug:

3. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

We waited awhile to tell the kids about this pregnancy actually.  We told our parents, siblings and close friends early.  With my twins it was a bit stickier because they were set to go see their bio-dad during the summer and I didn't want them telling their dad I was pregnant so we waited until they were home.  By then I think I was 15-16 weeks or so?  Once we told them we announced to everyone else.   It was also getting almost impossible for me to hide it at that point!  But I think I've told my two enough times not to say anything about someone's weight that they just didn't ask. :p

When I got pregnant with Josh I think we waited until about 13 weeks, just because of the miscarriage risk.

4. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would go with your gut. If you want the support go ahead and tell:)  I would tell your kids when you feel comfortable.  I guess the big thing would be slipping in front of them.  We waited until 11wks with Hannah because it was Thanksgiving.  We never officially told the boys because they were not even 1 yet and only 1.5 when she was born.  I'm fairly certain they just think we picked her up somewhere LOL!!

5. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

Thank you for your replies. I just wanted to let you know what we decided:

I have another ultrasound on Friday (due to my miscarriages I am on extra close monitoring) and if all is well we will tell our children then - and I am sure they will tell everyone else. Nearly 13 weeks feels ok for us and I am showing pretty clearly already so I think most people will not be surprised.

6. gina_leigh

Yay! You'll have to share their reaction. I videoed us telling the kids and I'm so glad I did. They'd actually mentioned several times in the past year or so (since my SIL was pregnant) that they wanted a little brother/sister, so they were (and still are- for the most part! LOL) very excited. 

7. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

Well, all was well on Friday's ultrasound and so we told our LOs. DS beamed with his whole being and patted my bump at the news, DD showed no reaction at all at the time except to snuggle closer to me. A couple of hours later they started asking lots of questions, interesting ones like "will we be there when they cut open your tummy to get the baby out?" (they were born by c-section), "will you call us when the baby is there?", "where will the baby sleep, there is no room for a 3rd bed in our room?", "will the baby drink your milk like we did?".

By now, DD is telling everyone about the baby - as we knew she would  - and seems more excited.

8. gina_leigh

Aww :hug:

The pregnancy has absolutely lead to some fun and interesting conversations for us. They now know all about placentas and umbilical cords and amniotic fluid, lol. But they asked specific questions and we answered them honestly to where they'd understand.

Also, there's an app called Sprout that shows a 3D model of a baby based on where you are in your pregnancy. DD loves that app to see the development from week to week and to see what the baby looks like. It's been fun!

9. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

I am with you about answering all their questions as honestly as we can and as they understand.

This morning when I dropped off the kids at pre-school all the teachers came to congratulate us. The funny thing was that DS said something along the lines of mom needs to eat a lot of iron now because she has a baby to grow during lunch time yesterday and the kids were all going "ew, you can't eat iron"; I think the teachers had a bit of explaining to do ;). I already have to take an iron supplement and explained to DS that I need it because my body has to help the baby make blood too after he caught me gagging on my dose of iron (I hate that taste) and said I should not drink that nasty stuff if I did not like it. I am sure we will have quite a few more interesting conversations.