when do you share the news?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by newtothis, Jun 30, 2011.

1. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

i was so excited - had an ultrasound tomorrow and they cancelled it and moved it till tuesday! UGH!
    i guess everything happens for a reason but it's very exciting and i am dying to share the news.
    i *think* i waited until 12 weeks to share the news with any and everyone about the twins....maybe i told family at 11 weeks and friends at 12.
    i was never pregnant before the twins so i always *thught* you waited until your first trimester. now with this new baby i would love to share - but of course, i'm nervous. since i'll be 6w3d at the u/s next week, maybe i can hear the heartbeat? did anyone share then or do you think it's too soon.

2. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

We told just about everyone right after I got a + HPT with both pregnancies. I just couldn't keep my excitement to myself and I figured if I was to have a miscarriage, I'd want to lean on those people for support. I'd want them to know.

3 people like this.
  3. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

I told as soon as there were two lines on the stick with all of my pregnancies. Before any ultrasound - I have never been good about waiting lol,,,

CONGRATULATIONS!!!"

4. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

With both pregnancies we told both families immediately. :blush: (Twins we knew at 4 weeks and this one at 7 weeks) but we didn't make announcements to other family and friends until a little later. With the twins we told at 9 weeks and with this one at 8.5 weeks. :good: Like PP said, if a miscarriage were to happen it's nice to have people who care around you and taking care of you. :friends:

5. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

I also told the moment I found out. And no, you cannot hear hb until after 10 weeks. You might see it on ultrasound tho. GL!

6. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

This. We told immediate family right away, although we did wait to tell friends & acquaintances until after 12 weeks.

7. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

With the boys, we told our immediate families right away(so 6/7 weeks). We waited until 9 weeks to tell everyone else(it was Easter time, so we were calling Italy). I wanted to wait longer...but alas, I lost that battle! ;)

For Annabella, again, we told immediate family right away(our parents/siblings). I am sure I told some close friends as well(we did IVF for all three kids). With Annabella, we did transfer on October 1, and we mailed out Christmas cards right after Thanksgiving-and that's how we announced our pregnancy! :) So I would say 10-12 weeks. :)

8. twinmom2dana

twinmom2dana Well-Known Member

We told immediately with all of our pregnancies. I agree that if miscarriage happens, you have people to lean on. But one of the hardest part of my losses was going back and telling people that our babes were gone. I say tell in waves, like close family, then close friends, and so on...

9. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

This - I was screaming as soon as there was 2 lines on the stick!

10. babyhopes09

babyhopes09 Well-Known Member

I guess I have a bit of a different response.. though I have always felt like shouting it from the rooftops the moment we found out with an hpt and I had a hard time not saying anything.. we have always waited.. and I'm glad we always have. We visualized a heartbeat and great measurements twice with our first pg. and then lost the baby at 10 weeks. It doesn't happen that often, but we did tell a few friends and then when we had to "untell" them after the m/c it was one of the hardest things we had to do.. if you have a supportive family and friend base that won't spread the news like wildfire, then I'd say go for it, but keep in mind that the more people that know the more of a risk that you will have to "untell" them! We had 4 other pregnancies after that m/c and learned the hard way the first time that it was just better for us personally to wait.. even though we have had 2 successful pregnancies, I think it is just better to be on the safe side in case something happens because it is incredibly painful to have to tell everyone what happened. just my two cents coming from a history of m/c's!

11. SC

SC Well-Known Member

We told everyone after we received the results from our first trimester screening performed during my 12th week. With our boys, we told at about the same time (end of first trimester). The only person who knew early on (both times) was my sister so I'd have one person to chat with (besides DH)! I only mentioned it on Facebook a couple of days ago.

We personally like to be patient about telling. We like to get through some u/s's and testing and have a really good feeling that we have a healthy pregnancy going. Everyone has their own comfort zone when it comes to this question. There is no right or wrong time.

As for hearing the heartbeat, we heard it with our boys at the end of the 8th week and with this baby during the 9th week. We saw beating hearts during the 6th week both times.