when do you find out the teacher/class

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by ljcrochet, Jul 29, 2011.

1. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Reading the open house thread got me thinking about when your kids find out their new class.
    Here we find out about a week before school starts. It is posed on the parent portal (internet site that we get report cards on) and we get a letter in the mail.

When I was in elementry school, we used to find out the last day of school.

2. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

They send out letters about a week before school starts. So, we won't know for about another month or so. Same goes for the bus schedule. I was reading the other thread and wished there was an open house before school starts like so many of you have. Our Open Houses are usually in the fall sometime. But, it would sure help to settle nerves for some kids if they were able to come and meet their teacher or at least see where their room was before school starts. I usually take my kiddos up to school after we get the letter and we find their rooms. 1/2 the time, their teachers are in their getting the room ready so we introduce ourselves.

ETA: When I was kid we would ride our bikes to the school everyday for that week or two before school started to see if they had posted the class lists on the door. They never sent anything, you had to go up and look it up on the door.

3. 2 Munchkins

2 Munchkins Well-Known Member

This year they'll send out a letter/postcard a couple of weeks before. In the past is was the day before the open house, via e-mail.

4. Twin nanny

Twin nanny Well-Known Member

My kids find out theirs when they get their end of year report, so a week or two before the end of term. They get to go and visit their new classroom during school time in the last week of term (their current teacher takes the whole class along to see the new classroom and meet their next teacher).

It's strange to me that lots of you don't find out teachers until just before the new school year. From reading the other thread it sounds like that's due to worries about parents complaining/wanting to switch their child's class? I think the difference is that in our school system you just get the teacher you're given, you can't request certain teachers and you can't ask for your child to change classes (well, I guess you could ask, but it would be viewed as a very strange thing to do). So there's no need for secrecy.

5. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

School starts here Aug. 29. We will get a letter in the mail sometime the 2nd week of Aug. My twins kindergarten assessment is on Aug. 8, so we should find out a few days after that. :good:

We have an open the house the week before school starts.

6. rubyturquoise

rubyturquoise Well-Known Member

A day or two before, posted on the door at the school.

7. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

We start school the Thursday after Labor Day. We find out who the teacher is the Friday before Labor Day, so 6 days before school starts.

In Kinder and First, the teachers do a little meet and greet the day before school starts. Because of this, the teachers send a letter to each child in the class to introduce themselves. 2-6 is on their own and they get to meet their teacher the first day of school.

8. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

I found out today by calling the school. :good: The secretary said that they are mailing out the letters next week and school starts September 7th here.

9. angelsmom2001

angelsmom2001 Well-Known Member

this is my girls first year at middle school and they will find out when they get to school. In the elementary schools, the lists are put out on the doors of the school a few days before school starts. Because of the school change we didn't even get a list of things we should get for them to start (ie notebooks, binders etc)

10. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

school starts September 6th so the class lists will be in the newspaper the Sunday before...

11. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

Open house day before. It's the only way to find out

12. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

It is sent home on the 4th Quarter report card in June after school gets out at the end of May. It has a section that says:

Your child has been promoted to grade _________. His/her teacher will be ___________.

13. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

My kids' school sends out a card a few weeks before school starts.

When I was a kid, they posted it on the door a couple days before hand but I never found out until the first day, and that was just home room. First day in home room we got our schedule for the rest of the year.

14. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

I do not remember how it was when I was a child. The kids toured their first grade classroom and so I found out that way, but we did receive notice with their last report card a few weeks after school ended. :) I can understand why they make parents wait... but waiting is hard!

15. rissakaye

rissakaye Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Our first day of school is Aug. 18th and we'll get a postcard in the mail Aug 15 or 16th. The 16th is "Meet the Teacher Night" where we go up to school, take supplies if you want, and see the room.

I'm quite sure the reason our district doesn't get the info out sooner is we seem to have a lot of moving in and out of district and schools. We're close to an Air Force base so some of it is that. Some of it just people moving around. The average here for keeping a house is under 5 years. So there is a lot of fluidity in numbers. Till registration happens (the 8th and 9th), they don't know the numbers. I know that the grade the kids are in is very close to needing another teacher. They really don't know if they'll have 2 or 3 2nd grade classes yet.

Marissa

16. Ange2k25

Ange2k25 Well-Known Member

We post the grade and teacher on the spring report card, so parents know the last day of the previous school year. New students enrolling for K find out when they enroll as do those who enroll over the summer. When I was a kid, the school posted the lists on the windows by the office a week before school started.

17. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

We have to look it up online about 2 weeks before school starts. They shut down access to the program for a month before so they can update all the kids' records. I do know that reason is for last minute class changes. I am friends with Marcus' teacher, and she told me last year that some kids she put into a certain class were moved from that class before school started--the parents didn't know, but she knew which group of kids she had put those children with.

18. jenn-

jenn- Well-Known Member

I know when DD was in school, you had to wait until open house to find out. They usually had them the Thursday night before school starting on the following Tuesday. We are near 2 big military bases so I am sure the moving in and out dictates the late list posting. The lists are posted inside these days so there is no riding by and peeking to see if it is up yet. That used to be one of my favorite summertime activity as the school year got closer.

19. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

I found out the girls' teacher on July 1st...they posted them on the windows of the school. We have a 3 hour orientation for kindergarteners on Aug 4th. I found out my son's teachers around the middle of July, this school system has always been pretty on top of things as far as getting you teacher info. Now the school I teach at...different story...kids never know until orientation which is the week before school. I don't even know the kids I have until that time, our rosters are never finalized until then. We start school Aug 9th (a whole week later than usual...woohoo)

20. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

Wow, I can't believe how last minute some of you find out. :unsure: That would cause this OCD/overplanner a lot of anxiety! :blush:

We are due to find out very soon. They said we would get a letter the beginning of August. We found out AM/PM Memorial Day weekend and I'm not sure when we'll find out bus schedules. I know it's posted in our newspaper a few times a couple of weeks leading up to the first day but I'm not sure if we get a letter in addition.

21. ljcrochet

Last year i was really annoyed at how late it was. My girls school does something cute with the kindergarten classes. Each teacher is given a color. The classroom has balloons out front in that color and all the kids are supposed to wear that color. Only thing was we didn't get the color till we found out what teacher which was about a week before school started.

22. momotwinsmom

momotwinsmom Well-Known Member

We used to find out on our last report card of the year, but due to lay offs, budget cuts and moving teachers around, we will find out Aug 8th on the districts home access center. I hate waiting this long, because all the sales for school supplies are usually either gone or there is nothing left. I'm an early buyer of supplies so I get what we want. This year it is making me crazy!

23. Becky02

Becky02 Well-Known Member

We find out the last day of school on report cards. For kindergarten we find out near the end of July (which we got our letter last week). Also on the letter from kindergarten they also put down a day where the child and parent gets to meet the teacher and see the classroom in the month of Aug before school starts (it's just that student so if you have anything special to go over with the teacher that would be the time to talk to him/her before school starts). So on the first day of school it's not as scary for the child.

24. Moodyzblu

Moodyzblu Well-Known Member

Mine found out a few days before school got out. They got to have a "move up" day and went and visited their new class rooms a day or 2 before summer break. I think this is such a good routine that our school has. Now the boys know who their teacher is and got to see all the other kids that will be in their class next year.

25. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

We are supposed to receive a letter at the end of August. Their first day of kindergarten is 9/7.

26. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

Our first day of K is either Aug 17 or 18 -- it depends on what class they're in (we have a staggered start) and we don't find out that until August 10!

So, not only do they not know who their teacher will be (or whether they'll be in a class with the only other kid they know who is starting K at that school), but we don't even know when their first day is. :search:

Plus (personal pet peeve here) -- it's really tricky for families who don't have a SAHP. There's a "meet the teachers" time (different times for different classes) on the Friday afternoon before school starts, and one-on-one "assessment" meetings in the couple of days before the first day. So, for all of those things, someone will need to miss work -- but we won't know until a week beforehand WHEN all of those things are happening. :angry:

27. TwinxesMom

Amen!

28. Mellizos

Mellizos Well-Known Member

We find out the Friday before school starts. The class list is posted on the window at the school. Nothing is mailed to our home. Meet the teacher is that same night. We did registration today, and school starts in 3 weeks. New students don't even registration until next week. The only good thing is that we know more or less who their teachers will be. They are in an immersion program, with one teacher in Spanish and one in English. The only question for us is which child will have Spanish in the morning and vice versa. Our boys are never placed together, so we know they will be on opposite schedules.

Our school superintendent was arrested today for embezzlement. We're all waiting to see how this affects the schools and the school year. The teachers as a whole despise the superintendent, so we'll see.

29. Oneplus2more

Oneplus2more Well-Known Member

Our district said we would recieve a letter by August 5th. So...I've been anxiously checking my mail for the last week. I guess they meant not before August 5th. LOL Today's mail isn't here yet. I'm not sure why I'm so anxious since I don't have a preference really on the teacher. It still bugs me for some reason though.

30. ljcrochet

I have checked our districts website but I know it would be post till the 22 if not later. I'm trying to remember from last year when it was announced.

31. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

Ooh ooh oooooohhhh!! Reading this reminded me that our letters get mailed today so we should (hopefully!!!!) find out tomorrow!! :woo:

32. TwinxesMom

We got the call last night. The girls have the new teacher who sounds very young(I didn't have a preference). I guess the principal thinks the girls are well behaved.

33. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:Clap: Did you get the letters?
    I know Caroline has been checking the mail everyday to see if she gets her letter. :lol: I have a feeling they will be mailed next week.

34. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

We find out the week of the 22nd. We start on the 29th. This would normally bug my OCD but I have no clue or bias about any of the teachers so as long as he gets a teacher, I am happy. Our open house is the 26th at 10am. I am looking forward to it!

35. Oneplus2more

Oneplus2more Well-Known Member

Still no letter today. Back to School day is the 10th so we will find out then at the latest. School starts the 17th. Where did the summer go?