When did your milk come in with Preemies

Discussion in 'General' started by ThankfulMama, Mar 14, 2012.

1. ThankfulMama

ThankfulMama Well-Known Member

Just wondering
    1. Mode of delivery (vaginal/c-section)
    2. Gestation at delivery
    3. How soon your milk came in

2. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

C-section
    30 weeks
    Colostrum within a day or so, milk followed a day or so after that

3. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Vaginal
    34 weeks
    Started pumping aprox 12 hours after their arrival. Wasn't getting anything. After another 12 hours or so a nurse finally realized I hadn't assembled the parts correctly so had barely any suction. Fixed that. Milk came in about 12 hours after that.

4. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

C/section
    33-6
    My milk took about 3-5 days to come in, with pumping. I've had a total of 3 c/s and it took longer for my milk to come in each time. I was not allowed to try to nurse until the twins were almost coming home from the NICU. I was only given 2 or 3 shots to try in the second week. I think if we had a more friendly environment for nursing, my milk would have come in sooner.

5. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

C/sect
    34 weeks 1day
    It was over 12 hours but it was the evening after their birth that I was able to pump some colostrum under 10ccs I think. But anythings better than nothing. My milk came in a day or do after. Once they got to eating well I was never able to get my supply high enough to fed both even with meds.

6. twinmom2dana

twinmom2dana Well-Known Member

My boys were born 33wks 3days by vajayjay and my milk came in within 12 hours. I am a boob juice cow though so.. Just don't give up too soon, especially based on what you see when pumping.

7. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

Ha HA! Thanks for the chuckle. :)

8. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

34 weeks
    C section
    Started pumping about 12 hrs after. Never produced much, but what little milk I had came in around a day later.

9. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

twinmom2dana makes a really good point - how much you pump is not an accurate indicator of how much you can produce.

Also, come & check out the Breastfeeding & Pumping forum if you find you have questions specific to that after bubs arrive.

1 person likes this.
  10. ThankfulMama

wow! thanks for all the responses! :)

11. 4jsinPA

4jsinPA Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Vaginal birth
    28weeks
    4 days after. I had to do a LOT of pumping through the day to get it going. I remember pumping colostrum into little vials where it was just like 2cc's at a time and bringing it to the nicu. Went from that to 3 mos later bringing in full 8 oz bottles of milk. All worth it, just keep going!

12. ThankfulMama

Just wanted to update with my info

Delivered at 34 weeks via c-section. Started pumping about 4 hours later and my milk was in by day 3.

13. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

C-section
    36 weeks
    Started pumping about 12 hours afterwards and got a little colostrum
    Milk came in about 36-48 hours after delivery

And yeah, how much I was able to pump in the first week, even with the hospital grade pump, was no indication of how much milk I could really produce. By about three weeks post-partum I could fill up those Medela bottles in what seemed like seconds!

14. 3under2!

3under2! Well-Known Member

I'll fill in too
    36+1 weeks
    Vaginal birth
    Started pumping 7-8 hours after delivery
    Did not get much colostrum, but I wasn't using the pump properly for two or three pumping the day after I gave birth so I'll never know :(
    Milk came in 3the days after delivery, same as with my singleton.

15. 3under2!

3under2! Well-Known Member

Can't edit because I'm on my phone, but I meant three days, sorry.

16. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

C-Section
    35 weeks, 6 days (No Nicu)
    Milk came in within 3 days I guess. I, too, am a very good producer, so I was pumping several ounces right away when it finally came in.

17. birdsong00

birdsong00 Well-Known Member

C-section
    31 Weeks
    I started pumping 2 days later It took about 4 days for my milk to come in

18. happychck

happychck Well-Known Member

born at 27w5d, c-section (i had pre-e and my uterus had no idea anything was happening, lol). i was on mag for like 24 hours after that, i think. i can't recall, but it seemed like forever before i could get up.... anyways, started pumping as soon as i could get up. milk/colustrum was slow in coming. i was insistent and didn't lose hope--not an easy feat. by about 3 weeks later i was up to 40 oz/day. i am still so thankful to my body for being able to do that... but, we're all different. just do what you can!

the thing i loved about pumping (if there was anything to love, lol) was that providing my milk was the only thing i could really do for the boys much of the time. and, i was the ONLY one who could do it. that thought kept me going.

and now, nearly 5 years later, my amazing little guys are the strongest people i've ever met--in every way.

best of luck!!

19. Lisa Norman

Lisa Norman New Member

c-section
    35 weeks
    colostrum after 18 hours... and its been 48 hours now and i'm still slow pumping the colostrum hopefully my milk comes in within the next couple days:)

20. twin_trip_mommy

twin_trip_mommy Well-Known Member

Twins:
    c-section
    36 weeks 3.12 oz - 5.3 oz
    Took a few days for it to come in. 3.12 twin did not latch on to the breast for 9 weeks. 5.3 twin never latched because of cleft palate. She was bottle fed pumped milk.

Triplets:
    C-section
    35 weeks 4.3 - 5.1 - 4.12
    Took a few days for it to come in. Each of them latched but because of reflux and an intolerance to the foods I ate that came through my milk they ended up on a special formula, Neocate. I was able to do a mixture of BM and formula after I changed my diet. They could not tolerate beef, soy, dairy, casein and whey.

None have food intolerances now.