When did your LOs start using spoons to eat?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by ladybutterflyrose, Apr 9, 2009.

1. ladybutterflyrose

ladybutterflyrose Well-Known Member

I was just curious when your LOs started using spoons to eat? Our LOs can take a spoon from us and put it in their mouths, but we don't consistently work on this. I was curious to hear responses. TIA :).

2. Andi German

Andi German Well-Known Member

Elliot can feed himself really well and has been able to do so for a month or so. Max can also use a spoon reasonably well but is less interested so I usually feed him and put a spoon with food on it in front of Elli so he picks it up himself and feeds himself. And he has been eating more since doing this!

3. nurseandrea02

nurseandrea02 Well-Known Member

At 12 mos. Proficiently? Maybe around 15 mos? I'd say they do pretty gosh darn good at it now & are mastering forks pretty good now, too (we introduced those around the time they mastered the spoons). It's so nice that only about 5% of food is FINGER fed...their hands are less messy, but now their shirts/bibs/pants get messier when the food falls off their spoon en route to their mouth :)!

4. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I let mine try sometimes but I'm not consistent. Most of the time the foods they'd eat with a spoon are dinner foods, and by the end of the day I just don't have the patience to sit there for an hour while they play with the spoon. Maybe I should try doing it in the morning? I haven't been consistent either, and when I let them have spoons it's more about playing with the spoon than eating.

5. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Around 15 months I started, but it wasn't until 18-20 months that they got good at it. They are actually better with forks. I use the take and toss plastic ones.

6. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We started practicing around 12 months. They are much better with forks and are slowly getting better with spoons. I think what attracts them to spoon right now is the mess they can make!

7. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

I've been procrastinating on this, because I just don't want to deal with the mess. So we're just now starting to practice with spoons. K&K are not very good at it yet, and not even close to being able to feed themselves a whole meal without assistance.

They do a much better job with forks, and seemed to get the concept right away. Even Kevan, who is somewhat lagging in motor skills, can stab a piece of food and bring it to his mouth pretty well.

8. stefwebb

stefwebb Well-Known Member

They've been getting them off an on since we started table foods. They do pretty good, but there's no way they could eat a whole bowl of something with just their spoons. It's more like a quarter of it before they start "stirring" what's in the bowl onto the floor.

[​IMG]

9. mich17

mich17 Well-Known Member

Cody still turns his spoon upside down so I let him use a fork. He is so much better with the fork.

10. twinboys07

twinboys07 Well-Known Member

We were lazy about it for quite awhile, but they have caught on by now and are doing great with spoons and forks now. I think we started using them consistently around 18 months, and began around 15-16 months?

11. cohlee

cohlee Well-Known Member

My girls can do it but I very rarely give them spoons, too messy!

12. nadana77

nadana77 Well-Known Member

We started around 13 months and they got the hang of it within a few days. They like forks better trying to stab the food was more amusing to them.
    But, they are soooo messy that we usually give them alot of finger foods to eat.

Good Luck :)

13. happychck

happychck Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Becca34 @ Apr 9 2009, 07:04 AM) [snapback]1265729[/snapback]
    I've been procrastinating on this, because I just don't want to deal with the mess.

same here! they always grab spoons when i spoon feed them (which is only for oatmeal and yogurt cuz they really only want finger foods!). we need to practice more!

14. Aprilisdisney

Aprilisdisney Well-Known Member

[SIZE=10pt]Honestly....I've only given them spoons a few times. They're really good with forks, and use them with every meal. Anything that requires a spoon, I usually feed to them, ie: yogurt, cereal, etc.

I've been putting this one off, as I know the mess that it includes. I really should get them going on them though ;) Maybe that will be my goal for the weekend.....THANKS!! :p

April :)
    [/SIZE]