When did you start using SBS?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Sisrea, May 12, 2009.

1. Sisrea

Sisrea Well-Known Member

I didn't get my double snap n go like i wanted, because of our carseats and my dying to start using the SBS for ease. The instructions say 6 months but i didn't know if i could start using it any sooner.

What do you think?

2. tiff12080

tiff12080 Well-Known Member

I started using mine at about 4 months. My boys are pretty big, not sure if that matters.

3. NicoleT

NicoleT Well-Known Member

I started at about 14 months, but wish I would have started sooner. It would probably be okay in the laying back position. But most SBS don't sit up perfectly straight anyway. I would just try it and see how the babies do.

4. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

I think I started around 5 months when I got my SBS. The seats on mine lay down a lot, so I think it would have been fine for younger babies too. I would just try them in it at home and see how they fit and how they do.

5. orangeyaglad

orangeyaglad Well-Known Member

i started using the sbs when they were newborns...probably 4 or 5 weeks and it was fine. we have the twin combi sport and it made for newborns + and the seats recline.

6. Queen of Carrots

Queen of Carrots Well-Known Member

I only had a SBS and used it whenever it was we first left the house--certainly by six weeks, probably by three or four. We just leaned it back all the way and they seemed quite comfortable.

7. Lizzybo

Lizzybo Well-Known Member

I have the Jeep Wrangler SBS and started using it at about 4 months. My boys had pretty good neck control then but I kept the seats reclined for the most part.

8. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

A few weeks old, as long as it completely reclines it doesn't really matter. Mine were close to 8lbs a piece so that helps!

9. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

If it has a nice recline option I would start using it. We started using our Combi around 4 months.

10. Twin nanny

Twin nanny Well-Known Member

Both my families only had a SBS, they were suitable from newborn and reclined. Naomi and Luke had a pram attachment for theirs but I only remember taking them out in that once.
    Like pp's said the main thing is how much the seats recline-if they lie flat (or almost flat) then you're fine. Other than that the factor you'd want to consider is your babies head/neck control. You could roll up a blanket and put it around/next to their heads if you feel they need some support, or look for a head rest. Something like this, this or this.

[SIZE=8pt]Edited to add links[/SIZE]

11. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

I agree with the others, as long as their is a deep incline, I'd say go for it. :good: My combi's incline wasn't that low so I waited until they were 8 months old (also that's when the weather let us go out ;) )

12. aandja79

aandja79 Well-Known Member

We used ours at 6 months. It reclined a fair amount, but it wouldn't have been enough if they were 3 months or so. It really depends on the stroller you have though, and the size of your babies.

13. scrparker

scrparker Active Member

We started using our Maclaren Twin Triumph at 3 months - although the manufacturer says it can be used from birth. I think it is fine to start early as long as the stroller has a good recline. I also liked how mine has a great 5 point harness so they are really secure (I don't think I would be able to trust a 3 point harness at this age).

14. Sisrea

Sisrea Well-Known Member

Thanks ladies.. I ran to michaels yesterday and took the stroler with me. (it has a 5 pt harness) but the girls did pretty well in it. Aurora was kicking her legs and was all excited. Maya was less excited and a little fussy but she ended up falling asleep in it.

Both were NOT happy to go back into their carseats!