When did you start playingboard games?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Brenda65, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Brenda65

Brenda65 Well-Known Member

I know alot of the board games have ages 3 and up on them. I don't think they would get the concept of most of them yet...or maybe i'm wrong.
    Just wondering when you starting playing board games with your little ones and if there are any particluar ones you might suggest for 3 year olds.
    Mine will be just turning 3 next month and i'm thinking of christmas.

Thanks

2. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

We started playing around 3. At that age, they loved Candyland, Chutes and Latters (I had to help them count), and Hi Ho Cherry-O. There are a number of new games for the younger set that came out in the last 3 years too--like the Dr. Seuss one.

3. somebunniesmom

somebunniesmom Well-Known Member

age 3 is a good age to start introducing them to the games. It depends on the kids as to whether they can grasp the concepts, but it's a good time to start learning -- they teach taking turns, having fun vs. winning, counting, colors, some even introduce some early reading skills.

I would pick a few games for Christmas even if you think your kids aren't quite ready. Sometimes in the months following Christmas they will become ready and they will be curious about the games. It does take a lot of patience to play board games with three year olds, but I think it pays off in the long run.

I don't know the age ranges, but these are our favorite board games: Trouble, Whack-a-mole, Memory, Don't break the ice, Don't spill the beans.

4. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

Mine love Memory/ a memory animal match-up (fisher price), Go Away Monster, Elefun, Dont Break the Ice and are starting to 'get' Candyland.

5. Cindy H

Cindy H Well-Known Member

Mine were only 2 when they were included in games because they wanted to play with their older siblings. It took a few attempts but they can play some matching games. They love this diego 123 game and they know all the animals and they just match the cards on the boards. They do not care who wins. We have also tried Candy land and we have a fishing game they like. THey also love Don't break the Ice. I say let them try.

Cindy

6. mom of one plus two

mom of one plus two Well-Known Member

We tried hi-o-cherryo just last month and the kids understood the number part and the pick/or put back a cherry part but they couldn't wait their turn so I will try again in a few months.

7. j_and_j_twins

j_and_j_twins Well-Known Member

we started candy land around 3, that's the best I can think of

8. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

Yeah, around three. Before that, they just didn't have the patience.