When can they have crunchy peanut butter?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by MrsBQ02, Apr 28, 2010.

1. MrsBQ02

MrsBQ02 Well-Known Member

My mom made some cookies with crunchy peanut butter in them-- is it safe for them to have crunchy peanut butter yet? They eat creamy PB all the time, so I'm not worried about nut allergies. I'd think the nuts would be small enough to not be a choking hazard, right?

2. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

Uh oh... yet another thing that I probably do wrong. I let my girls have crunchy nut-butters at about 18 months old. They also eat cashew halves and pieces of walnuts without any problem, but maybe I was supposed to wait. Sigh!

3. anicakes

anicakes Well-Known Member

I've been giving crunchy peanut butter since the girls were about 18 months...no problems here, thank goodness. I haven't really tried whole or halve nuts yet, so I don't know how they'd do with that.

4. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

Is there something I don't know about crunchy peanut butter? The cookies are probably a bigger choking hazard than the peanut butter, I would think anyway.

5. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

I can't see any reason why it would be a choking hazard -- the pieces are so small.

6. Twin nanny

Twin nanny Well-Known Member

My kids have never had anything but crunchy peanut butter because that's the kind their parents buy. I give it to Ethan already (he's 13 months) with no problems. I agree with pp's, the bits of peanut are far too small to be a problem.

7. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I don't see any reason why they can't have crunch peanut butter. My kids have been eating nuts/peanuts for over a year at least.

8. MrsBQ02

MrsBQ02 Well-Known Member

Ok good- I figured it was probably fine, I've just kept all nut and nut pieces away so far... but I'm paranoid like that! :blush:

9. happychck

happychck Well-Known Member

mine eat whole almonds!

enjoy the cookies,
    jl