What's your go-to gifts for birthday parties?

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by Fran27, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Invites started for 5yo birthdays. What do you usually buy for gifts at this age? I don't really want to get into named brand stuff in case they already have it or are against it or something... But I'll probably need a bunch of ideas for this year! Of course I don't know the kids at all so it doesn't help... For now I really need ideas for a girl. Any advice would be great (or ideas of things your kids were gifted that you loved).

2. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

When in doubt, I go with outdoor stuff (bubbles, sidewalk chalks, sidewalk paint), or craft stuff. Or when i RSVP I just ask what the child is interested in.

Girls at that age are starting to like bath salts and shower gel and stuff too.

3. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

For girls i do something craftly or legos.

4. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

These have been my go to for about 2 years now. Everyone loves them! My DDs have them to.

http://www.lillyellen.com/girls_jewelry.html

5. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

If I do not know specifics of what the family/kid enjoys, I tend to fall back on a board game and/or a craft set. Also often a book! Both are fairly high interest and nothing usually objectionable. I really like games that move away from the standard Monopoly , connect 4, etc. Ravensburger and Gamewright are companies that make really good quality, age appropriate games (both card and board games).

Girl ideas: craft or science kits, games, books (often doodlebooks, or something they are studying at school), outdoor toys (chalk, hula hoop, jump rope)

Boy ideas: Science kits, books, outdoor toys (soccer ball, fort kit), games

Jo Ann Crafts and Micheal Craft stores have really neat science kits-- like build a robot, grow a fairy garden, make your own bouncy ball, etc that are good gifts if you dont know the child very well.

For either Boys/Girls those 'Toobs' that are filled with little figurines of various topics. We have the fairy, dog, horse, and a few others. They come in all sorts of topics like cars, big cats, pets, knights, boats, ocean life, etc.

Always include a receipt just in case!

6. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

Board games!

7. Twin nanny

Twin nanny Well-Known Member

If I haven't been able to ask the parent what the child likes then I will go with craft stuff and/or a book. If you have a good idea of the child's size you'd be amazed how popular pyjamas can be.

Another thing to try is asking your child "what does so-and-so like to play at school?"

8. rissakaye

rissakaye Well-Known Member TS Moderator

When they were littler, I would ask my kids what characters are on that kid's shirt or backpack. It's usually a good way to get an idea.

My go-to gift for boys now is a Gamestop gift card.

I don't have a go-to gift for girls yet, but I've seen Target gift cards and they were well received with squealing.

Marissa

When they were littler, I would ask my kids what characters are on that kid's shirt or backpack. It's usually a good way to get an idea.

My go-to gift for boys now is a Gamestop gift card.

I don't have a go-to gift for girls yet, but I've seen Target gift cards and they were well received with squealing.

Marissa

9. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

Books, craft kits, science kits, outdoor stuff like danibell suggested.

10. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Playdoh, tea sets, coloring books with crayons, or a small character based on the birthday invite or the kid's backpack. And I don't spend more than $10 on school friends.

11. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

I usually do a pair of PJ's or a shirt/shorts/leggings and a toy of some sort.

12. j_and_j_twins

j_and_j_twins Well-Known Member

The Childrens movie pass with childrens combo food from costco
    Claires gift card
    Chapters gift card
    The girls usually add a beanie boo to the gift card

13. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Thanks all, lots of good ideas!

14. Sue1968

Sue1968 Well-Known Member

We've just been to quite a few 5-year-old parties. Generally, I always give the boys a truck, and the girls get some sort of art kit. I know I'm stereotyping genders, but unless I know the kid well it's the best I can do. Twice now, we've given Word Wear as a girl gift and it's a huge hit. At that age, they LOVE stringing their names into necklaces and bracelets.

15. momotwinsmom

momotwinsmom Well-Known Member

Yes, anything crafty, with beads, bracelets, glitter, is always a HUGE hit.

16. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

I didn't read the other replies, but we nearly always give arts & crafts projects. There's a whole section of them at our local toy store. My kids got tons of them for their 5th & 6th birthdays (they're almost 7 now and we're still working our way through them!) and nearly every one was a hit.

17. ddancerd1

ddancerd1 Well-Known Member

i've been doing a gift card to the movies ($10 gets the kid in, plus maybe popcorn)... it's been a hit so far.