What's your dream Mother's Day?

Discussion in 'General' started by megkc03, Apr 26, 2015.

1. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I know many work, live near their mothers, don't make big deals of the day, oblivious partners, etc. BUT, if you had a choice, what would be your ideal Mother's Day?

For me, having a nice meal just the five of us, and then doing something together as a family. No housework, no baking and decorating cookies, just all out fun and hanging out with no other distractions.

My reality is, my mom is working, Nicholas has a soccer game, and dh has his CPA exam the next day. I'll have to visit MIL, SIL(first Mother's Day), and see my mom. We will do a meal and that's about it. Maybe I'll take the kids mini golfing or hiking or something!

2. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

A day off. Of everything. I asked for it a few years ago and while Justin tried it was quickly apparent it just wasn't going to happen. He runs the ship so differently than me and it was stressing me out because he wasn't starting various parts of the routine at the "right" time. Plus the kids couldn't help themselves - I'm the default parent so it doesn't matter that it was my "day off" or how many times both Justin and I redirected them, they still asked me for everything first.

Anyway, the year after that I realized if I was truly going to have a day off I needed to leave. And that was how my annual Fernie Mother's Day retreat was born. I head down to Fernie, BC with a couple of girlfriends for the weekend and we drink stupid amounts of alcohol while lounging in the hot tub and playing Cards Against Humanity. It's fantastic! We head back Sunday afternoon so we can spend at least some time with our kids. ;)

1 person likes this.
  3. megkc03

I remember you talking about that little getaway! And I think you are so right-as the default parent, the kids by habit are just going to go for mommy. At least in my case too! Enjoy your girls weekend! What a fabulous idea!

4. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I like mother's day brunch, followed by an afternoon of hanging around outside, enjoying the kiddos. In a very ideal world, we'd get up early and go hiking or biking or something in the mountains. The reality is usually some atttempt at that, but usually with a hefty dose of family drama and me defaulting to the martyr role because I hate the chaos and want to please everyone.

This year, Mother's Day also falls on my husband's birthday, my grandma just passed away, and my mom has serious memory problems and won't talk to anyone and as far as we know hasn't been diagnosed with anything. There's a huge family fight brewing about it. So, I don't know.. I plan on ignoring the hell out of everyone, and just having a regular Sunday.

5. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:hug: Jen.
    My perfect Mother's Day would be the husband and kids making me breakfast, being able to go to zumba class, no cleaning, no laundry and just having a quiet Mother's day.    I don't want to run around and do a ton of things, nor do I want to go out to eat since everyone will be doing that and I hate waiting in restaurants.  My mom usually works on Sundays so if we do go out for Mother's Day, it's after the fact with her-which is fine by me-restaurants are less crowded. 
    Rachel, I love the Mom's get-away, that is a seriously awesome idea.

6. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

Brunch followed by a really long, solo bike ride.  I am not opposed to that someday becoming a family bike ride, but today the girls can't keep up with me when I am on a training ride.  And since I am training for a fall 60 mile ride, I need some really long rides on my own.

7. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

I always like to get my garden started on mother's day.  DH and the girls usually make me breakfast and then we get outside to dig in the dirt!

I also insist on having my mother's day at home so I celebrate with my mom the day before.  However, this year it will be my sister's first mother's day (she is having her baby on 5/5), so I'm sure things will be somewhat different this year (going to visit her and baby).  

8. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

I don't have an idea of an ideal Mother's Day because like I've said before Mother's Day is never ever about ME because I still have my mother and my MIL - plus as usual MD is my weekend to work.  So if I'm lucky I'll get 3 hours of uninterrupted sleep before having the dog and pony show that is my MIL's.  Because dog FORBID my husband make mothers day about ME because I'M not his MOTHER!  It should be noted that my mom is not a drama queen and as long as she gets a few minutes of my time and the kids time she's good with it.

I'm not bitter or anything.

9. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Mine would be surrounded by my kids but no cooking or cleaning.  But, as Rachel said, if I was home (which I am always home), the skipping of 'chores' would bother me.  (Because in his mind the chores can wait... in my mind they just pile up.)

10. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'm not sure why i would  would be the ideal mother's day would be.

I have no clue what we are doing for mother's day this year.  I know my DH won't want to drive to see my mom.  My dad ( he will be 75) won't drive to us but won't tell us to come to them.  In fact they will say they are coming to us, then flake out at the last minute.  Our May is so crazy- i would love to just have a day to relax.  My sister is getting married May 1st.  Girls have a 10am soccer game saturday morning that we are skipping since my sisters wedding is 3 hours away without traffic.  The day before mother's day is my nephew's first birthday party.  So we will get to see DH's whole family that day.  My girls are turning 10 on Monday after mother's day.  Thursday is their spring concert.  They are in band and chorus.
    I also forgot the Monday before mother's day in my MIL's birthday.  Girls artwork is being displayed in the library, with a gala that night.  As well as piano and basketball game.

11. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'm not sure what it'll look like this year. I do a day off every month.... Some years the urge to get away is stronger than others.

I think I'd like to sleep in, quilt at my lesuire and get a gift card to a fabric store. No idea about dinner... My dh is best without a recipe but that's not my preferred kind of food.

DALMAC?
    Tell them no.

12. pretty girl

pretty girl Well-Known Member

My choice of breakfast. Seeing my singleton. or getting these twins out.

13. rubyturquoise

rubyturquoise Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  14. megkc03

Aww Ruby! Thanks for sharing! I always enjoyed looking at your photos! I hope you are doing well! :) 

I'm now trying to finagle getting our moms together on Saturday(thanks to someone mentioning it here). DH is studying for the CPA exam which is the day after Mother's day, so he doesn't want to be tied down hosting our moms. I'm thinking brunch of some sort, maybe a quick family thing, and then I'll take the kids somewhere fun-bowling or something. I'm kinda looking forward to it. Hopefully Mother Nature agrees! 

15. threebecamefive

threebecamefive Well-Known Member

There's not really any one thing that would make the day "perfect" for me. I'm lucky in that my husband does help the kids focus on me for the day. I just feel like I get extra attention from them that day and it's nice. I have always felt that just "being" a mom made Mother's Day perfect. I still remember all the Mother's Days when I wished I were a mom, but wasn't. And more recently, with the loss of my dad and the unexpected recent loss of someone near and dear, having my own mom around on Mother's Day helps make it a perfect day.

16. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

Honestly, my "perfect" Mother's Day would involve not being anywhere near my kids.  To get the break I need, I have to leave, as others have mentioned.  I don't even know what I would do, maybe get a massage or just lounge on the beach, browse a bookstore, window shop.   My husband is not a gift-giver so I don't expect anything from him/the kids.

That being said, it'll most likely be just another day around here.  I'll probably call my mother (her birthday is 5/9 too), my husband will probably call his, maybe do a Skype.  They both live 600 miles away.  

I don't even know what day Mother's Day is so I should probably figure that out. 

1 person likes this.
  17. AmynTony

Kate - 5/10 the day after my twins (and your mom's apparently!) birthday!

18. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

Yikes, that's soon!  I was thinking it was the weekend after for some reason...  And my twins are 5/5. :-D

1 person likes this.
  19. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Honestly, i don't celebrate. My family does, but it's usually just another Sunday full of swim lessons, laundry, groceries and cleaning. If it was up to me, I'd just like a day off and away.

20. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We usually invite my parents over for breakfast (which I cook).  And then we head to Lowe's and buy stuff to plant our family garden.  I could really give two craps about Mother's Day...Valentine's Day, Easter, Father's Day, Grandparents Day and so on......I appreciate the people in my life daily so I dont need a Halmark Holiday to do that. 

3 people like this.
  21. ddancerd1

ddancerd1 Well-Known Member

My ideal mother's day is having the day to myself. Out of the house, alone. I usually will go out for a few hours on m.d. to Starbucks, to read, but I'd love an entire day to shop and then just read.

My reality this year...we get to celebrate my FIL's birthday on mother's day! Never mind that his birthday was in March. And that it's actually my mom's birthday on m.d. this year. No. We have to spend the day at SIL's. This is the COMPLETE OPPOSITE of how I want to spend my mother's day. :(

22. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:hug: Dannielle.  That stinks :(

23. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Dannielle-that is total BS!  I'd send Pete there and take the girls and spend the day with your mom.

2 people like this.
  24. AmynTony

well one of my MD wishes is coming true - I'm off the ENTIRE weekend!

3 people like this.