What's considered full term?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Ice cream, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Ice cream

Ice cream Member

Dr doesn't want me to go past 36 weeks. I'm 31 now and want to make sure that the babies will be born ok.
    What's considered full term for multiples?

2. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

36 weeks is considered full term. Some twins are born at 40 weeks gestation, or even further along although there is some instances of the placenta starting to deteriorate at that stage. It's important to discuss the risks of induction or c-section vs. the risk of waiting for labour to begin on its own with your provider. It may vary depending on your own medical history and pregnancy. Did your doctor give you a reason for the 36 week date, or is that standard  for multiple pregnancies in his practice? It's important that your provider takes into account YOUR history and preferences to help you make the right decision.

All that said, most babies born at 36 weeks are quite healthy and all babies may or may not require NICU time depending on how the birth goes. Rest assured, there's a lot of twins born at 36 weeks or earlier here who have grown into thriving kiddos!

3. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

I remember my doc telling me 37 weeks was term. Medically speaking, I remember reading that you subtract 2 weeks from 40 for each "extra" baby, so twins are 38, triplets 36, etc.   Personally, I would not consider 36 weeks term and I would not accept a doctor pushing for an induction that early.  Of course, if there are medical reasons to induce, that's a different story.    That being said, yes, generally speaking, 36 weekers usually are just fine.  But if there's no reason to induce, why risk it?

4. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

I think term is still 40 weeks. Babies don't need less time to develop because they come in pairs. They don't cook faster. The concern is with deteriorating placenta, etc. My doctor would have induced at 38 weeks. No sooner. Yes, most babies born at 36 weeks are totally fine, but there are potential issues with late term preemies, so I wouldn't choose that without a compelling reason.

5. jennycraig

jennycraig Active Member

I was told by our Dr. that it depends on what type of twins.  He was not going to let me go past 37 weeks because our girls are identical.  He stated this was because of them sharing the placenta.  He said with fraternal twins there is not the same risks.  Each pregnancy is also different.  I also believe that 40 weeks is still term with multiples.  I believe from a recent article that they are now even considering 37 weeks early term now.

6. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I was told 38 weeks, but I was in preterm labor at 31 weeks and ended up delivering at 35.5 weeks and they were fine.  I did have the steriod shot to help develop their lungs

7. pretty girl

pretty girl Well-Known Member

I was told 38 weeks is full term

8. Ice cream

Ice cream Member

Thanks everyone- I'm glad to hear that 36 is still considered ok. That's the LATEST my dr will let me go due to severe strain on my uterus from 3 previous c-sections. let's hope I make it until then :)

1 person likes this.
  9. rayceryin12

rayceryin12 Well-Known Member

My dr had me wait until 38 weeks. I had the boys at 38 weeks 3 days. Good luck!!