What's best for newborn twins to sleep in?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Adrienne4, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Adrienne4

Adrienne4 Member

I was just wondering what most people do re: sleeping arrangements for newborn twins. I plan on keeping them in my room for the first 2 months. I have heard some keep them in their room with a co-sleeper, others put 2 in a crib, etc. I'm not sure if I have room in my bedroom for a crib, so I was looking at a cosleeper or pack n play. I thought about a bassinett but I think I'd need 2 since they are pretty small. Any advice would be great.

2. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Mine did not share a room with me as newborns but during the day we had a pack and play with a bassinett that they both would nap in. We covered the bottom with a soft blanket and would lay them both down in it, they slept pretty well in that until they got too big (around 2-3 months). We had the Graco safari animals pack and play. At night they shared a crib. Good luck!

3. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

My girls were in our room for about the first 4 months, and they shared a PNP. It worked great for us. By the time they were getting too big, we just transitioned them to their cribs in their own room.

4. ssb2e

ssb2e Well-Known Member

Mine slept in a pack n play by my bed until they were 6 months old. I had one that had the top bassinet part (not the twin one, just the regular one) and they both slept on the top part together until they were about 4 months (can't remember exactly how long). Then I took the top part out and just put them in the bottom together for a few more months. I wasn't sure how long I'd keep them in my room when I brought them home. Just until I felt comfortable moving them upstairs. I still didn't know if I was ready at 6 months, but figured I needed to. We all did fine with the transition to their own room and separate cribs though.

5. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

PNP for the first month and then colic set in so then swings for the next 3 months in our room....at 4 months we transitioned them to their own cribs in their own rooms...

6. watersurfers

watersurfers Well-Known Member

Mine sleep in either a PNP or the Armsreach cosleeper, together. They will move in to a larger crib soon, as they are getting too big to share the smaller cosleepers.

7. E&Msmom

E&Msmom Well-Known Member

Arms Reach Co-Sleeper Orginal Is what ours slept in until 3-4 months of age right next to our bed.
    After that we used it as a PNP but we loved it!
    They can be expensive. We bought ours used off a co-worker but Ive also seen them on craigslist and in secondhand stores.

For us it worked great!

8. emp59

emp59 Well-Known Member

My girls also sleep in my room. I put them in their swings when they first go down and then after they wake for their first night feeding around 3 or 4, they move into my bed. DH is in Iraq so I have a lot of room in my bed though! They love their swings. They always sleep at least 4 hours in those.

9. MamaKimberlee

MamaKimberlee Well-Known Member

Mine slept in their bouncy seats for the longest time. Easy and transportable!

10. TennesseeMomma

TennesseeMomma Well-Known Member

Mine slept in the arms reach co-sleeper...the weight limit for that is 30 lbs, whereas I think the PNP weight limits on the bassinett part are only 15 lbs...

11. qfmom2009

qfmom2009 Well-Known Member

Our babies started and are still in a crib in our room.

12. My3

My3 Member

I had very same question!!
    Are you guys talking about standard sized cribs? or there any special oversized crib/PNP to fit 2 babies in? Am checking many cribs these days, but all looks small to me to keep 2 babies :(
    Am really confused whether to buy 2 cribs or just one for now!!
    Please share ur experience..

13. mattsara09

mattsara09 Member

Our twins have not arrived yet but our plan is to use the PNP in our bedroom for a month or two and then transfer to crib (of which we have 2). My best friend just had his first baby 7 weeks ago...they have used a bassinet in their bedroom at night, and both the crib and PNP for naps so that she gets used to the crib.

14. 2xjoy

2xjoy Well-Known Member

By Pack N Play do you guys mean what we call a port-a-cot here? Also do you call a crib what we might call a bassinet here?
    I have had the same questions and at this stage am thinking we'll probably use 1 cot or bassinet for at least the 1st few months in our room.
    We are quite limited on space as we didn't think in our wildest dreams we would end up with 2 more babies when we tried for a 3rd and final!

15. JoellePotter

JoellePotter Well-Known Member

For the first 2 weeks they slept in the Arms Reach Original Co-sleeper (got it off Craigslist for $40 :) ), but then I couldn't get ANY sleep w/ all of the little noises they made. So I moved them to their crib in their room (It's right across from our bed room). Literally you step out of our bedroom one step, then you step into their room. I sleep w/ our door and their door open so I can hear them. Then during the day for naps I put them in a regular PNP with the bassinet portion. When they get too heavy for that I'll lower it down use it in the bottom portion until it can't hold them. I still occasionally leave them in the co-sleeper (it's still in our room lol) such as when I shower since our master bathroom is in our room I can hear them that way.

I plan to continue letting them sleep together as long as they'll do it. Right now they some how manage to end up RIGHT next to each no matter how far apart we lay them. Half of the time they end up making Ts :) Oh and not to mention they whack each other all of the time and it doesn't seem to phase them at all or wake them.

16. mikeyswife1999

mikeyswife1999 Well-Known Member

My girls are 8 weeks old and they still sleep in the Arm's Reach co-sleeper. I've used it for the three kids before them, too, and it's held up great.

17. zetta

zetta Well-Known Member

Translation from American to Australian english:
    crib -> cot
    pack-n-play or PNP -> probably port-a-cot
    bassinet -> not sure what you call it in Australia. It is a small infant bed used from birth to four months, kind of like a cradle on wheels that is about the same height as a regular bed.

18. 2xjoy

2xjoy Well-Known Member

Thanks, I was sure that was right but just wanted to check.
    As someone said a couple of posts ago (sorry-terrible with names!), it can be hard to sleep with all the little snuffly noises babies can make. My first two children slept in their own rooms pretty much from the start except #2. (She was in our room for 3 months).
    I am a light sleeper and do find the noises diffficult at times, but with these twins (!), we're limited with space. so they will be with us for at least a while!

19. crescendo97

crescendo97 Well-Known Member

Ours slept in pack and plays until they were five months then they moved to their own room in a crib.

20. jromkey

jromkey Well-Known Member

My twins are currently sleeping in the Arms Reach Co-Sleeper original attached to our bed and will transition to a crib in the nursery once they have both outgrown the Co-Sleeper (it has a maximum weight limit of 30lbs). They occasionally sleep together in the nursery crib too but seem to like the co-sleeper better because it's a bit "cozier".

While it's true that their noises can be a bit distracting at times I have basically gotten used to them. I also like having them so close so if they start fussing or crying I can just reach over to pick them up or soothe them without having to get out of bed.