what TIME of day do you read

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by cm301263, Dec 30, 2015.

1. cm301263

cm301263 Well-Known Member

It typically seems that most like to read stories to their kids just before bedtime, a relaxing time right? I find that by the evening time, they are a little too pooped and restless to enjoy books at times so I am experimenting with different times of the day.

I was curious to know what your rituals are for reading times.

2. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

How old are your kiddos?  I've been reading to my girls before bedtime since they were infants so this has always been our routine.  We used to all pile into my bed and read there and then head to their bedroom, but then I realized they settled down better when they were laying in their own beds and I read to them.  Sometimes they get a little riled up especially if its a dramatic part of the book or a cliff hanger at the end of the chapter, but after we are done reading we usually talk about what we read and about our day and then its lights out.  

If too close to bedtime is difficult for your family, what about right after dinner?  When my girls were littler and still took baths together they sometimes requested I read to them while they were in the tub.  Would that work for you?  Good like finding a time that works for your family... for me reading with my girls has been one the highlights of parenting small children... I love re-experiencing books I loved as a child with them, and finding new and amazing stories to share with them too.  

3. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I am with Leighann, reading before bed has always been a ritual for us.  Even when the kids were babies laying in their crib me or my husband would read to them before bed.

If you are finding the kids are not paying attention, too tired, too restless before bed, I think you are doing the right thing experimenting with different times.  Good luck!

4. rubyturquoise

rubyturquoise Well-Known Member

I always read in the morning. Reading at bedtime put me to sleep!

5. tarcoulis

tarcoulis Well-Known Member

Reading has been part of the bedtime ritual since they were babies.  When they dropped the afternoon nap, we would read at that early afternoon time as well as night time.  And from the ages of 2.5 until they started school at 5.5 we went to the public library on Thursday mornings then spent most of Thursday afternoons reading through the giant pile of books. 

6. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

We have always read at bedtime.

I also read to the toddler as part of our naptime routine. While he naps the big kids have quiet time, either doing homework (elementary school is half days here) or playing a board game with me or I read to or with them.

On the weekends I sometime read to the children in the mornings in bed while everyone still snuggles. I love that time for reading and the toddler is probably most attentive when we read in the mornings.