what size bikes do your 5-6 year old girls have?

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by ddancerd1, Mar 15, 2012.

1. ddancerd1

ddancerd1 Well-Known Member

my 4 1/2 year olds are VERY tall (wear size 6/7 clothes), and we need to get them new bikes. but i have no idea if we should get 18" or 20"... we want them to be able to use them for a least a few years... what size bikes do your girls have?

my girls are 44" tall

thanks!

2. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

One of my 5 yr olds is 44" and we just bought her a 16". I think it will last her for quite awhile too. But I think it depends on the bike and how your kids are built. Even though meara is 41" we also got her a 16" and it fit her too. I would bring your girls to try out different size bikes.

3. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I think a 20in will be way too big, my son is 10 and I believe we bought him a 20 in last year. My daughter is 5.5 yrs and very tall, she's wearing size 8 stuff and is a little over 45 in tall (I haven't measured her in awhile so I'm not sure exactly how tall, but she was over 44 in last summer when we went to disney for sure ;) ). Anyways she's using a 16 in with training wheels comfortably, but could probably go up to an 18 if we wanted to get her one. I agree with going and trying different bikes out, if you can get a 20 in with a seat and handle bars that adjust low enough for them to use right now that would work. Otherwise, an 18 in is probably the best bet, with adjustable seat and handle bars.

4. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Last year when my twins turned 5 they got 16 inch bikes for their bdays. I am planning on them lasting them at least 2 more years. :good: My oldest DD had a 16 inch until she was in 3rd grade and then in 3rd grade she got a 20 inch bike.

5. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

The girls have 16 inch bikes and they still fit... Maybe they are 18 in I'm not real sure I didnt buy them lol

6. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

My girls have 16 inch bikes, and they should last at least another year or two. I got them last spring.

7. ddancerd1

ddancerd1 Well-Known Member

thanks, everyone! we went to TRU last night and had them try out the bikes, and we got 18in bikes... they seem to fit well, and hopefully they'll last a few years!

8. Sullyirishtwins

Sullyirishtwins Well-Known Member

One of the biggest trick is making sure your kids can touch their feet on the ground when sitting in their seat once they get out of their training wheels. We have the 16 inch bike they gotten for Christmas this past year. Both of my kids are on tall side with long legs, at 45/46 inches.