What drove you crazy a year ago that they no longer do?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by cjk2002, Aug 1, 2011.

1. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

I'm just wanting to give hope to those of you who feel like it will never end.

My boys are 3 1/2 and this morning when I was in their closet, I noticed a package of baby wipes right out in the open. A year ago there was no way I could have left them out; if I did, they would have pull out every single one.

I took them camping for the very first time when they were 2 1/2. It was :crazy: They were always running and moving and I could never just sit down. My one DS was our darter and there was one incident where my BF's son open the car door and off he went without us knowing. We spent a frantic 10 minutes looking for him and he was found by another camper by the bathrooms.

This year has been so much better. He listens and stays close by. I can sit down and enjoy the experience instead of always being on the go.

I have taken off all the toddler locks on the doors. I feel comfortable with them being in the bathroom without me.

Looking back, it really was "just a phase", although at the time when I was deep into it, I thought it would NEVER end.

6 people like this.
  2. mtnmama

mtnmama Well-Known Member

Just want to say thank you for this post! Mine are 33 months and definitely less looney than they were this time last year, but I'm still waiting for the day when we can go somewhere like the beach and I can sit down and relax for a minute or two without constantly chasing one or the other - or both! It'll be nice to not have to be vigilant about making sure that things like sunscreen and lotion are always out of reach or it will be smeared everywhere in a matter of seconds.

3. ohtwinmom

ohtwinmom Well-Known Member

Last year at 3 1/2, we were in the middle of dropping the last nap. It was rough! They'd be up until 11 if they napped and then so grumpy the next morning. If they didn't nap it was awful! Overall we were having meltdowns left and right last year at this time. It is soo much calmer this summer! And I love that we can pretty much go all day and it makes for an earlier, easier bedtime!

4. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

We just got back from vacation and for the first time since travelling with them, I was able to bring and READ a book on the plane! WOO! Thank you longer attention spans, entertaining yourselves, and each other, and of course 2 iPads :)

5. Specky

Specky Well-Known Member

I haven't had a chance to think about this yet. But I just wanted to thank you so much for posting this! My boys are 2.5 and we are in the throws of getting into everything, although I will say that the last 3 months have been getting a bit better about not destroying everything!! They actually played with a book for 20 minutes the other day without trying to tear it!

So again thank you! I love seeing what to expect!

6. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

The thing that jumps to mind is that they no longer have the desire to decorate the TV (via coloring or with stickers). Really makes me happy that I no longer have to wipe it down several times a day!

7. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

In the last six months, my girls have really started being able to entertain themselves. This past weekend P & C disappeared after breakfast and we didn't hear from them again until almost lunch. They played in the playroom for almost three hours, moving from one activity to the next. It was so peaceful. At one point I even sat down on the couch in the den and read a magazine. DH and I took turns checking on them every 10 minutes or so, but every time we asked if they needed anything they told us that they were busy.

A year ago I could not have imagined that would be possible.

8. MichB

MichB Well-Known Member

Thank you for this post. We had a particularly 'rough' day today with 2 whining, crying, fighting 2.5 year olds so it is so nice to read that there are some changes coming!

There are so many changes from 1.5 to 2.5 I couldn't even begin to count. But, I guess the things I like the most are: their ability to feed themselves, the fact that they can walk everywhere, and their ability to play outside for hours at a time without me. :)

9. amelowe9

amelowe9 Well-Known Member

Great post! I was at my mom's house today which is museum-like (not kid-friendly in the slightest). Last year at this time I was running all over the place, chasing after them to make sure they didn't touch something they shouldn't, hurt themselves, etc...you know how that goes. Today I sat on the couch and had a long conversation with my mom while my little three-year olds walked around, checking things out, but they didn't touch a thing and were happy and amusing themselves. HUGE difference!

10. traci.finley

traci.finley Well-Known Member

HA! Nothing like an 18 month-old sibling to make you realize how much easier it is to have 4 year-olds. I laughed about the wipes box bc I feel the same. Also, I can actually eat or drink something in front of the twins without having to share. Now, I can forget about getting a Diet Coke at a restaurant bc my 18 month old will want it (and therefore not sleep well for the caffeine) but my 4 year olds think nothing of my drinks and/or food. Hmmmm ... what else? I don't stress about stairs and/or them throwing things away in the trashcan (ie my husband's Speirry Flip-Flop) ... I will keep thinking ... maybe it will help MY sanity with my 4 year olds right now =) Great post!

11. trudyhm@att.net

[email protected] Well-Known Member

Great topic! I was just thinking about how much better my life has become lately because the twins are 3 and they are so much easier. I think we all have periods of our children's development that we find easier to manage and fit our personalities more, and my toughest phase by far has been the 12-30 month toddler age where they're exploring the world (destroying!) and you have to tell them the same thing 5,000 times (I'm so relieved that they do eventually learn!). I am loving the pre-shcool age. It's harder mentally with their precise and strong likes/dislikes that change by the minute, but I'm not physically running so hard.

I also have a 22 month old, so I see clearly how much easier the twins are now at 3 years old than at 2. I can shower and get ready for work with them in the bathroom and they don't wreck the bathroom and my closet, they don't endlessly shut/slam doors, flush toilets, unroll toilet paper, press buttons on the TV/remotes/microwave/dishwasher, get up and down from the table 50 times during a meal, run off while we're outside and won't come back when called, act like Godzilla with the train tracks and block castles, rip diapers off, they can dress themselves pretty quickly, they can walk at the zoo so I don't have to lug the huge stroller, the twins can talk to me and tell stories about make-believe things, so they're great company and I can attend to their needs more quickly since they can tell me exactly what they want, they have a lot fewer tantrums, they'll play with something for a more-extended period of time, I'm not changing their diapers, they understand time-outs and don't want one, they can be motivated, they no longer climb on top of the dining room table and reach for the chandellier, they don't fall down and get hurt so much,...I could go on and on.

The very biggest plus to me is that I can take the twins outside and tell them we have to stay together and they will, for the most part, so I'm not running around chasing and carrying someone the entire time and I can sit a little or have a (short) conversation with a friend, until the baby wanders off exploring. I can also take them somewhere that isn't baby-proffed and they are fine.

My physical and mental load was significantly lowered in the last few months because the twins have become so much easier to handle. They're still very challenging, but for me, it has gotten much easier.

Also, I kind of hate that my little one won't play with the wipes box any more. That was my go-to toy when I needed a 15 minute break! I just stuffed them back in ;)

1 person likes this.
  12. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

It used to drive me crazy they didn't sleep and that it was unpredictable on whether or not they would go all night. They also don't scream as much because they have many more words.

13. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

I have 2 3.5 year olds and a 2.5 year old so everything that my little one is doing that is driving me nuts is somewhat easier for me to handle because the twins aren't doing it. I know it is a phase and it will pass.

For us traveling was a big change. They were able to have their pillow and blanket and sleep on their own without me having to stay in the room.
    Also just listening and being able to sit. I took them to my oldest soccer practice yesterday and the twins were so good watching and staying nearby, while my youngest wanted to "play" soccer and move the cones and take off his shoes the entire time.
    Next summer is going to be a lot of fun!

Great topic!

14. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

I love it that that wen we are in the car and they say they need to go potty, they can hold it until we get to a bathroom and sometimes home! LOL!!

15. NicoleLea

NicoleLea Well-Known Member

I agree with the other posters who said it is much easier now that my kids are about 3.5. A year ago when my girls were a little over 2, they would get into all the DVDs, take everyone off the shelf and get them all out of the cases. It drove me nuts! They would do it multiple times a day, every day! Thankfully they don't anymore. :) Also they wouldn't be occupied by any of their toys, they only wanted to get into everything that was NOT theirs (pantry, pots/pans, collectibles, etc.) Now they entertain themselves with appropriate items and stay out of the stuff that isn't theirs (mostly). I still catch them in my makeup every now and again, but its kinda funny and not aggravating like before.

16. LeslieJC

LeslieJC Well-Known Member

Great Post!!
    My girls are 3 1/2 and I think that 2 1/2 and the first half of being three has been the thoughest. (Other than the first year when we were SO sleep deprived.)
    I have to say that I am finding the back half of three the most enjoyable thus far.
    They like showers now so I don't have the bath tantrums that I used to. This has CHANGED my life !
    They help each other now so I don't always have to be the one to get this, get that, hand me this, hand me that etc. etc. etc.
    They (for the most part) sleep through the night.

17. Shohenadel

Shohenadel Well-Known Member

This post gives me hope. Our twins are 2 1/2 and although they bring us a lot of joy, they bring so much stress and chaos. We also have an 8 year old and 6 year old. Some things are easier now, but they are still into everything and in the height of tantrums. If I can just hang in there one more year!!!!! Believe me, I love my kids....it's just some days are really tough.

shannon