What do you think of this letter from DDs teacher?

Discussion in 'General' started by Overachiever, Sep 5, 2007.

1. mrsfussypants

mrsfussypants Well-Known Member

Sara...that was a very well-worded response! It wasn't defensive or angry, but rather polite and upfront. I'd give you an A+ !!!!

Reyna

2. Her Royal Jennyness

Her Royal Jennyness Well-Known Member

Very good Sara!!

3. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Great Response, Sara!!

4. cellomom

cellomom Well-Known Member

Really nice response, Sara. I'll be interested to hear how he responds.

I too, assumed that Mr. Elstone's final points were tongue in cheek. I know that I have a bad habit of putting jokes in my emails to parents of my students, and have learned the hard way to ask another teacher to read for "tone" before pressing "send."

Your response was direct, but pleasant and professional, and allowed for the possibility that he was joking.

-Karen

5. daniellecic

daniellecic Well-Known Member

i have worked with teachers who use this approach. they do it to remind the parents what it is like to be in school so they have a better understanding of what it will be like for the student that year.

6. Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson Well-Known Member

I liked your response too. Let us know if you get a response back.

7. shannonfilteau

shannonfilteau Well-Known Member

I would have responded the same way that you did...

8. twin_trip_mommy

twin_trip_mommy Well-Known Member

I think you responded very well to his letter. I can't wait to see what his reply back to you is.

9. Overachiever

Overachiever Well-Known Member

Here is the teacher's response:

Dear Mrs. [Overachiever ]

I apologize for the misunderstood tone of the assignment. It was not my intention to sound condescending and I appreciate your suggestions to reconsider my wording for future use. Please accept my apology. I thank you for taking the time out of your day to respond and I hope we can work together this year to make sure that Trinady's academics are of the utmost priority.

Looking forward to meeting you at conferences,

J. Elstone

Fair enough. I'll drop it of course and be extra nice at conferences. My DD really likes this teacher, who is young. Hopefully he learned from this. Again I thank you all for your great suggestions and insight!

10. Trish_e

Trish_e Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Overachiever @ Sep 8 2007, 10:17 PM) [snapback]399173[/snapback]
    Here is the teacher's response:

Dear Mrs. [Overachiever ]

I apologize for the misunderstood tone of the assignment. It was not my intention to sound condescending and I appreciate your suggestions to reconsider my wording for future use. Please accept my apology. I thank you for taking the time out of your day to respond and I hope we can work together this year to make sure that Trinady's academics are of the utmost priority.

Looking forward to meeting you at conferences,

J. Elstone

Fair enough. I'll drop it of course and be extra nice at conferences. My DD really likes this teacher, who is young. Hopefully he learned from this. Again I thank you all for your great suggestions and insight!

Thats great, I've been following this thread to see what happens. :) My first thought after reading the "assignment" was that he must be young, probably a new teacher. I'm glad things are straightened out and everything is happy. :)

11. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

I am glad he seemed to take it all well!! I'm sure that he'll forget who sent what in the course of a year! Don't sweat it and show your good sense of humor at the conferences! GOOD WORK SARA!!!

12. missmomoftwins02

missmomoftwins02 Well-Known Member

You responded very well to his assignment and I am glad that he responded back positively!

13. mrsfussypants

mrsfussypants Well-Known Member

Couldn't have asked for a better outcome than that! Good job!

Reyna

14. HeyThere

HeyThere Well-Known Member

Thats great! What a nice outcome, compared to what it could have been!

15. momotwinsmom

momotwinsmom Well-Known Member

So glad he apologized. That was the proper thing to do.

16. twindependent

twindependent Well-Known Member

Great outcome. I am so glad you brought the tone up and I bet you really gave him some food for thought in terms of his tone from here on out.
    Good work. A+++!

17. berebunch31

berebunch31 Well-Known Member

Awesome - that's a great resolution to the situation :)

18. JDMummy

JDMummy Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Her Royal Jennyness @ Sep 6 2007, 12:23 AM) [snapback]394830[/snapback]
    Holy moly! It does sound condescending, especially the "proofread carefully" part. Have you met him in person? (I assume not) What does the other parents/students say about him? So strange!

Oh I totally agree. I don't see how he can justify wording the "assignment for parents" that way. :angry: Sounds like a pin head to me or a very bad joke.

19. twin_trip_mommy

twin_trip_mommy Well-Known Member

I'm glad he responded back to you with a positive tone.

Now hopefully the rest of the communications he writes are more carefully worded.

I wonder if you were not the only parent who responded back to him this way

20. Oneplus2more

Oneplus2more Well-Known Member

I would LOVE to know the other parents' responses! You'll have to give us another update after the P/T conference :icon_biggrin: