What do you 12mo olds' meals look like?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by paperclippy, May 17, 2014.

1. paperclippy

paperclippy Well-Known Member

My girls are becoming more opinionated about their food than they used to be and I'm just wondering how their meals for the day compare to everyone else's.  We're in the middle of weaning and have them down to 2 bottles per day but they don't drink nearly as much milk as they used to when it's in a cup so I'm always worried they aren't eating enough!  Probably because they were preemies and are still pretty skinny compared to other kids their age (12 months).

For an example, here's what they've (each) had so far today (it's 2pm right now so they have another meal + bedtime bottle to go):
    - 7oz bottle breastmilk
    - about 3oz bm in cup
    - probably about 1C Cheerios
    - 1/2 C canned fruit in juice
    - 1 string cheese
    - 1/4 banana
    - 1/2 C diced tomatoes
    - half a slice of wheat bread
    - a couple bites of pasta
    - a couple bites of chicken
    - a couple bites of lettuce

2. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Sounds great! Remember that toddlers's food intake goes WAY down compared to an infant's. They're not growing anywhere near as fast as they do in the first year. Assuming your babies are healthy and you aren't dealing with any sensory issues, just keep serving them a variety of whole, healthy foods and they will eat what they need. Toddlers are smart.

It's also very normal for them to start expressing food preferences but remember those preferences don't really settle in stone until much later in childhood (around 10 years old) so don't fall into the trap of only serving them food that you know they'll eat. That's a sure fire way to make a picky eating problem worse. Even if a food is rejected multiple times keep trotting it out every once in awhile - eventually they'll eat it again. :)

3. rayceryin12

rayceryin12 Well-Known Member

Looks good to me!

And I agree....keep offering food; one day they will hate it, next day love it. :)

4. Bug N Cheeks

Bug N Cheeks Member

Our boys are pretty texture picky, but are getting better at 18 months.  They've come along way with things here recently and are much more open to trying new things but some things they love are peas, mandarin orange slices and peach bits, cooked carrots, mini ravioli bites, "smilies" potato cakes, mac n' cheese, chopped hard-boiled eggs, any kind of bean cooked until very mashable and tender, grilled cheese bites, yogurt, and oatmeals (they seem to really like the fruit and cream variety).  When they were 12 months, I would offer these things, and they would eat some here and there, but have come to love them more and more over time.

I agree with other posters also.  They will eat what they need and start to fill out more.  Have they started self-feeding yet?  I noticed that our boys really began to eat more when I wasn't spoon-feeding them anymore, and they were participating it the feeding. Sure, it means huuuuge messes, but they seem to enjoy it so much more now that they're involved in it.  They have a cute independent streak now where they won't take hardly anything off a spoon.  Such big boys  :FIFblush:

They'll pick up on eating.  As they do, just enjoy them and make sure to take lots of pictures  :)