What chores are your kids learning this summer?

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by rissakaye, Jun 24, 2013.

1. rissakaye

rissakaye Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Every summer I try to teach my kids something new on cleaning and just general life skills. I think that I'm enjoying this summer's the most. I'm working with the kids on cleaning their own bathroom. I'm also working with them on cooking their own lunches and using the microwave. They are already in charge of cleaning their own rooms and the playroom. They get their clothes to the laundry room and put their clothes up.

Every couple weeks we also have a $1 chore day. This is when I put together a list of extra cleaning. I'm working on a list right now. So far I have washing stair bannisters, washing doors, wiping down all the light switches, taking the couches apart and vacuuming them out and helping me clean out the laundry room.

What are your favorite chores for your kids to do? I admit that I love them cleaning their own bathroom.

Marissa

2. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'm going to have them learn how to tie their shoes this summer. Big plans. :)

Maybe learn how to pick up their toys properly.

3. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

Mine clean their own bathroom with 'kid friendly' cleaner....they also sort socks, sweep, take out recycling, clear table , help unload dishwasher, and clean up after themselves (put away toys in living room and clean up their room).

Next chore is setting table =]

4. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Mine vacuum already (with me holding the cord), feed the cats, straighten up their rooms.

This summer we do plan on working on tying shoes. I have no clue how I am going to teach that. I actually practiced trying to teach them and it seems so automatic to me that I had difficulty explaining it. So that should be fun and take up the whole summer.

5. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

So far, the girls have to clean up their own toys every night (or before we leave the house to run errands and then again at night) and set the table. They also help wipe down the table when needed.

What else would y'all recommend at 3.5?

6. rissakaye

rissakaye Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Mine were very good at putting the silverware up from the dishwasher. We could hand them the basket and they would put everything up.

Marissa

7. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

Good one! We'll add that. :)

8. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yesterday mine were my mules- they carried our small cooler, drinks, spare clothes etc to the van and put it where I showed them while we were prepping to go play at a spraypark.

They also switch over laundry for me.

9. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

Mine help sort the laundry (mom's pile, dad's pile, DD's pile, DS' pile), help fold simple items like towels, washcloths and their own t-shirt and put away some of their own clothes (underwear, t-shirts, socks etc.). This is really helpful.

10. 4lilmonkeys

4lilmonkeys Well-Known Member

We're working on chores too (outside of picking up after themselves)...

So far, they sort their own laundry, set/clear the table, sweep their specific areas of the house (playroom, dining room, kitchen), clean trash out of the car on Saturdays, wipe down the bathroom, and put towels away. Our oldest empties/loads the dishwasher, dusts, mops and vacuums and they all help my husband outside.

11. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Sean and Kaelyn (11 and almost 7) have to clean the bathrooms each week (sean cleans the toilets, kaelyn cleans the counters and sinks), help me fold their clothes and put them away, set and clean off the table at mealtimes, and just general tidying up in the living room. Sean is helping me cook easy things, and empty the dishwasher.

Liam and Rylee (4) put away silverware from dishwasher, help set and clean off table (they clean their own plates and cups for sure, and put away condiments), help clean their room and pick up toys in the living room. They help put away some of their easier clothes (undies and jammies mostly).

All 4 help me take care of izzy, fed her, walk her, play with her, find her toys when they get under the couch....etc. Also help water the veggies/flowers outside.

12. kim01

kim01 Well-Known Member

my boys just turned 11. We have them empty the dishwasher and take recycling out. They also help set the table at times just depends if I remember to ask them to do it or not. They do have to clean their place at the table off and their stuff in the dishwasher. Any dishes used durning the day they also must put in the dishwasher. They have to put their dirty laundry in the hamper. And keep their room clean (they want to share a room). They do know how to do the laundry we taught then how to do it last year. I had knew surgery and couldn't lift anything for a while. So they did have to help out with that for a time, but they don't have to clean it any more. however they do have to put up their own laundry and have for several years now. Some times I will take it to their room, other times they will have to come get it. Over all my guys have it fairly easy I think . :cool: But that is ok so long as they know how to do things. And the right times to jump in and help. :D