What age do(did)you start chores.

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by trinitytwinsmum, Feb 17, 2007.

1. trinitytwinsmum

trinitytwinsmum New Member

Hi everyone just wondering at what age mums, and dads, are aking their littlies to do chores by themselves?

My grandmother whom we havn't seen in a while came for a visit last week and brought havoc with her. My OH was involved in an aguument over what my girls can or cannot do as chores.
    Both Llyra and Sasha help me make their beds each morning, put the dishes away and feed their animals.
    Unbeknownst to me Granny had demanded that the girls do each of their chores by themselves without help. The consequence was that if they couldn't do it, they wern't able to have their afternoon horse ride.

All the children(my brothers and sisters) in our family have started to do things unsupervised from the age of six. What do you think?

Thanks Briar, Micah, Llyra and Sasha

2. trinitytwinsmum

Hi everyone just wondering at what age mums, and dads, are aking their littlies to do chores by themselves?

My grandmother whom we havn't seen in a while came for a visit last week and brought havoc with her. My OH was involved in an aguument over what my girls can or cannot do as chores.
    Both Llyra and Sasha help me make their beds each morning, put the dishes away and feed their animals.
    Unbeknownst to me Granny had demanded that the girls do each of their chores by themselves without help. The consequence was that if they couldn't do it, they wern't able to have their afternoon horse ride.

All the children(my brothers and sisters) in our family have started to do things unsupervised from the age of six. What do you think?

Thanks Briar, Micah, Llyra and Sasha

3. heathernd

heathernd Well-Known Member

My boys are 5 and have been doing "real" chores for a few months now. Although cleaning their room and toys always requires micro-management, they are happy to help empty the small trashcans, wipe down the table, sweep, dust and help with the puppies. While I usually have to go behind them I do appreciate and thank them for their sincere help. I do not give my boys an allowance, but they are rewarded.

4. jxnsmama

jxnsmama Well-Known Member

When Jackson was 7, he started bringing in the neighbor's garbage cans for her, at her request, and she pays him a dollar. At that time, we had him start bringing ours in, too, for another dollar that he has to save. He recently asked if he could do more chores to earn another dollar a week for spending, so now he is in charge of emptying all the garbage cans in the house, sorting the recycling, and helping DH get the cans out to the curb each week.

Other than that, my boys don't have set chores. My little ones love to help with cooking and cleaning, but it's nothing they have to do each week.

5. JenJefLog

JenJefLog Well-Known Member

I think we started with a few chores around age 7. Logan, for the last few years is responsible for emptying the trash cans in the house into the big trash can, as well as the recycling, then taking all the cans out to the street and bringing them back in the next day. The girls are in charge of feeding the cats and dog. Everyone needs to take their dishes to the sink after a meal, clean them off and put them in the dishwasher. I have to admit that we don't have a real chore schedule around here, but on a semi-regular basis, I have the kids help with folding towels from the dryer and sometimes I have them sort socks after they've been washed. Sometimes I'll have them clean and vacuum the family room as well as clean their bathroom.

6. krysn2ants

krysn2ants Well-Known Member

The boys never really had chores back in Florida but I've been making them take their dishes to the sink for at least a year or so now. My saying is "I'm not a waitress, this isn't a restaraunt, and I'm not a maid." (they know this saying well...LOL!!) I also make them put their own laundry away, which they HATE to do!! Now that we're at my Dad's in Kansas and they have a big, beautiful house, we're responsible for keeping the 2nd floor (where our bedrooms & bathroom are) clean (my Step-mom LOVES to clean and has her own way of doing the rest of the house so you just have to stay out of her way 'cuz she's get in a "zone" LOL). So, on the weekends when I'm cleaning, I make them clean their half bath (which is really just a sink and counter) and empty the trash in their room, my room, and the bathroom. This past weekend, my Dad took the vaccuum cleaner upstairs for them and made them vaccuum while I was watching church online...I had told them the weekend before that they were going to start doing chores around the house. They also help take care of the dog and they just love to help my step-mom but of course they whine when I ask for help. [​IMG] And, Isiah loves to help cook...he's the bigger helper of the two of them.

7. trinitytwinsmum

Thanks everyone. I decided that I'll keep to tradition and start them doing their own chores at 6 just like their mum. My mum had a talk with Granny and although she thinks its silly we've calmed down.
    Micah's happy now. He can raise his girls the way he wants. [​IMG]