Went to Labor and Delivery last night.

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by jennaenglish, Nov 7, 2009.

1. jennaenglish

jennaenglish Active Member

I was having really consistent contractions yesterday. Every 12 minutes on the dot for 3 hours. Drank lots of water. So after work, I went to pick up my 2 year old and headed to the hospital an hour away. I had also had diarrhea all day. Lovely right? My back felt really crampy too, so I figured, better safe than sorry.

I got there, and once I laid down, they seemed to settle down after about an hour. In all, I was there about 4 hours. The ended up treating me for a UTI and when she checked me I was 1cm dilated and 70% effaced. (Should I be worried about that at this point?) I woke up this morning feeling horrible, not to mention I am CRANKY. Holy cow. I feel like I could kill someone. But I am at work. Because one of the guys called in "sick" for the third day in a row (the boss also happens to be out of town this weekend... how convenient, so I saw this coming) But I digress.

I go to see my OB on Tuesday and also get an Ultrasound. I know I could probably get him to "make" me stop working, but I get 12 weeks of maternity leave and I want to spend it with my babies!!! If I was to stop working now, and carry them to term, that would be 6 weeks before and 6 weeks after.

What are your thoughts ladies? What would you do? Would you be worried about being dilated and stuff at this point?

2. jewels707

jewels707 Well-Known Member

Stop working and put yourself on bedrest! I can't believe your Dr. hasn't done this. The short maternity leave we get in this country is disgraceful, but trust me you want to spend the time you have with them at home and not in the NICU. Also, I don't know what state you live in but are you sure you don't have some pre-delivery pregnancy disability? My maternity leave was also 12 weeks, but you could have up to 16 if the Dr. orders you out of work. This was state law regardless of my work's policy. I hope those babies keep cooking a little longer and great job carrying them this far! :D

3. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I went on bedrest at 28wks bc I was 2cm 80%effaced and funneling. I believe you should also be taking it easy. Maybe work part time? Also...can you talk to your boss about taking a longer leave due to the bedrest? I ended up taking a total of 18weeks....6wks bedrest and 12 weeks after the babies were born just bc my boss is a Mama as well and also did bedrest so she totally "got" what I was going through and knew that I would need the time off after as well:) Good luck!!!

4. haleystar

haleystar Well-Known Member

at 31 weeks i was 2cm dialated, funneling and effaced (i can't remember the percentage but 70 sounds about right). i was already on bedrest, started at around 29 weeks. i carried until 35 weeks where both the peri and the OB decided it best to deliver me on a schedule rather than wait for an emergency. i developed pre-eclampsia also around 31 weeks that kept getting progressively worse. the nurses said, after my c-section, that had i continued the pregnancy any longer things would have gotten pretty serious.

talk to your doctor and seriously ask about bedrest. get a note to take to your work. i wouldn't worry about being dialated and effaced because you can stay that way for a long time. it's only time to worry if you start getting contractions and/or you continue to dialate at every OB appointment.

good luck!

5. jennaenglish

I've been throwing up today... I think I am going going to go home after all the guys get their lunches eaten.

Missouri has horrible laws. For a small company like ours, they're not even required on the Federal level to give me any leave. Not even one day. Our company "policy" is 6 weeks unpaid and they have agreed to 12 since it's twins. They could fire me and not suffer any legal repercussions. Lovely, right? I don't think they would... but I don't want to push my luck either.

6. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:hug: I'm sorry you are not feeling well today. Try and get some rest when you get home. If you feel stopping work now would be best than it probably is.

7. AmyH

AmyH Well-Known Member

sorry to hear about how awful you are feeling, and that you are still working. I would talk to your boss when he is back in town, and try to work something out with him. Also of course see what your dr. says on Tuesday.

Good luck mama! Take it as easy as you can!

8. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

I would stop working and give yourself every opportunity to carry those babies a bit longer. The longer you carry them, the better it is for them. 31 weeks is still really early.

9. teamturner

teamturner Well-Known Member

Good luck and keep us posted! I hope things settle down and you feel better soon.

10. KellyJ

KellyJ Well-Known Member

I may be wrong, but your boss still has to carry short and long term disability on his employees unless you are all independent contractors. I would check into that for sure. My OB signs off on ST Disability all the time, has signs up about it all over the office. All it takes is a doctors order.

I too used to work for a small company with no maternity leave, and I mean NO maternity leave. I quit shortly after becoming pregnant because my boss was not at all understanding when I started bleeding and cramping at work (after I had already had several miscarriages) and she did not want to let me leave to go get checked out. My OB was a block away as well. Jobs are NOT worth your children's health and well-being. I know the job market stinks beyond belief, but there are still jobs to be had out there.

I hope you feel better!

11. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

I agree. :good:

:grouphug:

12. jennaenglish

Thanks for the replies ladies. :)

I had my NST, U/S, and appt today and it all went pretty well. The girls are measuring 3 lbs 9 oz and 3 lbs 14 oz. I talked to the doc about work and he said I should probably cut down to 5 hours a day, and listen to my body. I am still pondering... I don't know that working half days or staying home would be THAT much much restful than what I'm doing now b/c I have a very busy two year old and no one that could stay with me to help with him. If I were to quit working, we can't afford to keep him in childcare. So I will continue to think and pray about it. My boss is being pretty understanding, so that's good. I think I at least have some options.

Thanks so much for the support! :)