Weaning question

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by mish_lewis, May 14, 2014.

1. mish_lewis

mish_lewis Well-Known Member

Hello,

I have four little ones.  I BF my 1st born boy until 9 months....with work and stress it just dried up.  I stopped working with the twins (boys) and BF them until 15 months, they weaned naturally (they just lost interest).  Now my 4th, a little girl, she just turned 2 and shows no interested in quiting.  I keep trying to wean her, I have her down to 1-2 times a day.  If she had it her way we would still be BF 3-5 times a day.  She is always asking and pulling on my shirt.  I alway thought I would be done when she turned 18 months....but I have kept going since she wanted to.  My husband is starting to think it is wierd since she is 2 and making me feel odd.  He even made comments that I am weak and do not want to completely wean her because she is my last.

My question is how long did you BF and is it odd to go past 2 years?  If you did when did you stop and was it the little ones choice or yours?

Thank you,
    Mishelle

2. weegus

weegus Well-Known Member

I could have written this EXACT same post!  BF my twin boys until 10 months, then my single son until 15 months (all self weaned), and my little girl will be 2 next month and shows no interest in stopping (she BF twice a day)!!  My husband thinks the same as yours and I am starting to think that it is time.  Anyway, sorry I can't help you but know there is someone in the same boat!  I will be watching for responses!!!

3. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My girls breastfed till just before their 2nd birthday. I breastfed them more on a schedule then on demand so I think my supply was quite low by that time. My current nursling is 2.5 and breastfeeds anywhere from 3-12x in a 24 hr period depending on variables. We're currently working on night weaning (for the 2nd time) but otherwise we breastfeed on demand. If he chooses to breastfeed until kindergarten I won't stop him. I just went away for the weekend and he did just fine and when I got home he went right back to breastfeeding. It's working well for us and my husband knows better than to comment on it. ;)

All that being said, culturally, yes it's "weird" to breastfeed passed about 6 months. The % of mothers still breastfeeding at a year is quite small. At 2 years it's minuscule. From a health and biological perspective though it's perfectly normal for toddlers to breastfeed well into childhood. The WHO recommends breastfeeding until at least 2 years old and then as long as mutually desired by mother and child. There are many other medical groups who have similar official recommendations. In my current circle of mommy friends, it's actually quite weird for a child to wean before 2-3 years old.

I think if you are feeling ready to be done then there's no harm in weaning. But if you and your toddler are happy to continue then there are many benefits to continuing to breastfeed into childhood and no harm at all. :good: Have a good think about both options and decide what is right for you and your child and family. You can't go wrong. :)

4. threebecamefive

threebecamefive Well-Known Member

I don't have a lot to add to what Miss Bossy wrote, except to say that I BF my twins well past 2 years old. I BF my daughter until she was 17 months old and only quit because by that time the twins had been born and I was nursing all three (for a little over a month) and it got to be too much. The only difference was my husband was supportive and didn't make me feel weird about it.

It's a special thing you're doing for, and with, your daughter. It's ok to keep going and it's ok if part of the reason you keep going is because you're not ready to stop (because she's your last). The only "weird" thing going on is our country's weird attitude (and even stigma, if you will) regarding nursing.

I wish your husband was more supportive.

5. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

The other ladies have said it very well. Who cares if she is your last and you are nursing her a little longer? Did your milk expire past 23 months? I'm actually a bit envious as I was planning on nursing my daughter until about 3 but she self weaned at 1.5. I did not want to go through cold/flu season with a newly weaned tot- they seem to bounce back from the sniffles way faster with the power of breastmilk.