Weaning off cereal bottles

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by orangeyaglad, May 4, 2009.

1. orangeyaglad

orangeyaglad Well-Known Member

My girls were diagnosed with severe reflux and the doctor suggested putting cereal in the bottle and prescribed them both 1ml of zantac a day. They are doing much, much better. In fact, one of my girls isn't spitting/vomiting up at all! My other girl only spits up a tiny bit but it's improving everyday. The doctor didn't mention anything about when to wean them off of it. They will be four months old in a few weeks and shortly after that I plan on feeding them cereal with a spoon. My question is do I still give them cereal in the bottles and give them cereal with a spoon? When do I wean them off the cereal bottle? My next appointment with the doctor is at their 6 month check up so by the time they go there they will be eating solids. I'm just not sure what to do about the whole formula cereal bottle thing.

TIA

2. hsuter

hsuter Well-Known Member

We are still thickening dd's bottle with 2 tablespoons for a 4oz bottle and they are going on 7.5 months. We tried weaning the cereal thing once...just DONT go down a lot...do it a little at a time, like 1/2-1tsp at a time-for some reason I thought it would be a good idea to just try no cereal...BAD idea! I think whenever you feel comfortable doing it you can give it a try, if their reflux startes to flare again try again another time.
    For their first meal I did spoon feed them cereal, but havent spoon fed cereal since.

3. becky5

becky5 Guest

I fed thickened bottles until 9 months. I didn't do cereal off of a spoon regularly since they were already getting so much of it. They didn't care for plain cereal anyway, so we went straight to veggies and fruits.

4. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

At about 8 months we were doing so well that I started to decrease the amount of cereal per ounce. I didnt stop cold turkey at all. I would wait a bit. Enjoy the "controlled" reflux. :hug:

5. KKing

KKing Well-Known Member

When I went into my 4 mo. app. my pedi suggested weaning them off because the rice was constipating mine. He suggested giving them oatmeal from a spoon and decreasing the cereal. My DD is on zantac and my DS was a projectile vomiter. I slowly put less and less. By 5 months they were down to 1 tsp per bottle 7oz and doing fine. Within a couple more weeks they were done and doing much better (I think). Neither one now at 6 months spits up anymore than whats normal. The rice cereal helped but I also think it upset their bellies. Once they were off the cereal my DD was drinking full bottles which was great!!

6. orangeyaglad

QUOTE(becky5 @ May 4 2009, 09:17 PM) [snapback]1300475[/snapback]
    I fed thickened bottles until 9 months. I didn't do cereal off of a spoon regularly since they were already getting so much of it. They didn't care for plain cereal anyway, so we went straight to veggies and fruits.

when did you decided to go straight to fruits and veggies? 4 months?

7. becky5

becky5 Guest

QUOTE(orangeyaglad @ May 5 2009, 06:52 PM) [snapback]1301737[/snapback]
    when did you decided to go straight to fruits and veggies? 4 months?

Yes, our ped recommends 4 months.

8. orangeyaglad

QUOTE(becky5 @ May 5 2009, 08:08 PM) [snapback]1301831[/snapback]
    Yes, our ped recommends 4 months.

thank you. i was thinking of starting baby food at 4 months but i read some chart that said 6. I've tried a couple of times before to feed them with a spoon because they have really good head control and they took to the spoon very well. now, i just have to invest in some high chairs. ug...;)

9. becky5

becky5 Guest

I think the AAP recommends 6 months nowadays, and so that is what most peds go with, mine just happens to give the go ahead at 4 months. Here is an article at wholesomebabyfood.com about starting solids.

10. orangeyaglad

QUOTE(becky5 @ May 5 2009, 08:18 PM) [snapback]1301844[/snapback]
    I think the AAP recommends 6 months nowadays, and so that is what most peds go with, mine just happens to give the go ahead at 4 months. Here is an article at wholesomebabyfood.com about starting solids.

i wish we had a normal ped but we are on state aid so we get crap care. they pretty much leave us up to our own devices except for wellness check-ups and immunizations or if there is an emergency. i won't get to see their doctor until their 6 month check-up. they don't push their food out with their food and they have great head control so i think they will be just fine. thanks for that input. :D