waking up early from naps

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by eagleswings216, Sep 29, 2010.

1. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

My LO's are finally getting to be better nappers. Most days, they will sleep 1 or 1.5 hours in the morning and 1 or 1.5 hours in the afternoon. But, some days, one of them will still try to catnap on me and wake up after 35-40 minutes. Often if I give them a binkie and rock them for just a minute or two, they will go back to sleep and sleep the rest of the time. But I'm wondering, should I be doing that? I guess I'm still following the philosophy of keep them on the same schedule and I want them to nap together, but should I just forget that at 9 months old? If I DON'T try to get the early-waker back to sleep (and it can be either one of them), they often seem very cranky and sleepy until the next nap, like they didn't nap enough.

So what do you all do? Let them wake up or try to get them back to sleep?

2. HorseyLover

HorseyLover Well-Known Member

We don't worry about keeping them on the same schedule anymore because, if one of mine wakes up early - they are usually cranky for a little while, but then seem to be better. So, I don't worry too much about it. Usually they are close to the time for a bottle - so sometimes I'll just feed. They are on a pretty good schedule now, so even if one wakes early, they still seem to take their second nap around the same time. Or, just catch up by taking a longer second nap. It's more relaxing now for me to not worry about it.

3. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

That's what I'm wondering - if it wouldn't be easier to just let them be awake....of course I can get more work done with they BOTH sleep. ;)

4. HorseyLover

HorseyLover Well-Known Member

Yea, that's true. Whenever one wakes up early, my DH and I usually look at each other and say "SH%T". LOL

5. smiley7

smiley7 Well-Known Member

it all depends. Their major nap is the mid-day one, so if they wake after 30-40 min, I know they want to sleep. I will give them their paci and rock them back to sleep. Ha ha.,... as I was writing this my babes woke up EARLY from their nap. One was 45 min and the other 25 and they WOULD NOT go back to sleep.

Oh well. I try getting them back and if not, it's play time :laughing:

6. E's 3

E's 3 Well-Known Member

I always try to get the one who woke up back to sleep. I try my best to keep them on the same schedule...I find it easier to handle them this way. They are doing 2 naps so if one wakes up early on the first nap I usually get the other one up soon after so they still go down for nap #2 together. If it's their second nap and I can't get one back to sleep I let the one who's sleeping keep sleeping as long as they want. Just in the last couple of weeks they have been napping much better and rarely wake up (I better not have just jinxed this nap!).