Wagons

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by monica77, Mar 12, 2012.

1. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

Hi,

Max and Vanessa are 18 months old, and they HATE their double stroller with a passion. They hate to go in their highchairs and carseats also, but that's a different story :). We are thinking about getting a wagon, and I was wondering, what do you have, what would you recommend? I need to mention both of them are really big for their age - over 30 pounds and over 34 inches in height each, so I would like something sturdy that we can use for few years hopefully. Also, since they hate being in a stroller, do you think they would accept to stay in a wagon? We are looking at the Radio-Flyers, but there are so many kinds and I want to see what you guys think.

Thank you and have a great day,

Monica

2. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

18 months is the time they decide want to be big ppl lol. The thing about cry in car seats, high chairs,.. Is just a phase will pass.
    We got step 2 wagon. You can get it at target for about 60. Its strong as steel. My kids love it. They were so crazy about it at first. It has places for snack and drink cups, 1 compartment under 1 seat. I always put snack or speak to play music lol. Its great for park, beach. We havent used it much this yr. my kids love to walk. Its just us, we dont use strollers or wagon that often. My kids love exercise. They wont sit still in anything for long time. But we will use it lot for your florida trip next month.

3. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We got the Choo Choo wagon from Step 2 bc we have 3. You can buy it with just 2 though and I love it! Everyone had their own seat, can't touch each other;), and a cup holder with storage underneath one seat:) My kids LOVE it just as much as I do!:)

4. weegus

weegus Well-Known Member

I second Kim's suggestion for the Step2 Choo Choo Wagon. We had the Step2 Wagon for Two Plus, but as the twins got older, they would fight about who got to sit forward and kick each other. The Choo Choo Wagon solves both of these problems because each twin has their own cart and they both face forward. Plus, you can add more carts if needed. The only downside is that the wagon doesn't travel easily, but no wagon really does because they are big and awkward. The wagon with two carts does fit in the back of my minivan.

5. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

We have this one and love it. I'm not sure about what size kiddos would fit comfortably, though, as my girls are really petite.

6. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

With our first child we had one like this Little Tikes Wagon, and it worked great at home, and it was lightweight and easy to pull....until we went to the beach! And the wheels were AWFUL! Plastic wheels with no traction, they spun around and got caught in the sand....it was terrible.

So when it started to dry rot, I went on a new wagon search, and found this one, All Terrain Cargo Wagon. LOVE it! It's wooden, it's heavier but it's sturdier too. Air tires glide over everything like a dream. Even loaded down it went over the sand at the beach like a piece of cake. It was more expensive but it was so worth it!

So it really depends on what you're looking for in a wagon. If you just want one for side walks, and puttering around the house and town, one with plastic wheels works great. If you want to be able to use it for more than just the kids, look for one with air tires. We use ours for hauling wood, camping, at the beach, hauling plants/mulch/potting soil...etc. I won't ever get a plastic wagon again for us ;)

7. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

We were very happy with the Radio Flyer Pathfinder wagon. It's plastic and very sturdy. I laughed at the cupholders at first, till I found myself using all 4 of them and wishing there were more!

We only used it on pavement and grass (the zoo, picnics, etc.). It wouldn't be great for the beach or serious off-roading. But I could easily pull it for a brisk 15-minute walk (to a playground near our house) with both kids in it.

I actually still have it because it's so useful for things like the farmer's market!

8. betha

betha Well-Known Member

We also purchased the Pathfinder from Radio Flyer. It's been great and my twins loved it (yes, it was much more appealing than the dreaded stroller). My son is pretty big. I had some problem with steering as their weight increased over time (but it was manageable). I think it would have been fine on flat terrain, but we live in a hilly area. I think the wagon with the air tires is much easier to steer if you have bigger kids.

9. DblStuffOreo

DblStuffOreo Well-Known Member

We have the Radio Flyer Ultimate Comfort Wagon and LOVE it. Canopy keeps the sun off, but removes easily. It is light and fits in the back of my Murano for easy transport to the zoo, park, store, wherever. One seat flips, so they can face the same direction if touching becomes an issue. There is a big storage bag on the back that you can fit a lot into. Simply cannot say enough good things about this wagon. Our girls got it at 10 mos and still love it at nearly 2.

10. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

Thank you for your replies ladies. We got the Radio Flyer Ultimate Comfort Wagon :). It'already 80 degrees and sunny here around Charlotte NC so we needed something with a canopy. I like the wagon, it's cute and fairly easy to use. So far, they like to climb in and out, mostly out :). Yesterday we went for a walk with the wagon, we ended up walking while holding a twin by hand and pulling the empty wagon, they wouldn't stay in long enough and they figured out how to get out even if they are strapped it, with the strap that goes between their legs. I keep hoping it's just a phase...

In the meantime I was ready to start another thread about Backpack Harness Buddy when I did a search and found 2 old threads on the same subject.

Yes, I used to be one of those people that thought it was WEIRD to see a child pulled by a harness like that, back in the day when I didn't have kids, but right now, I am ready to give them a try, because I don't know what else would work for Max and Vanessa :). We need to bring my parents to the airport next week and I know they won't have the patience to stay in a stroller or wagon while we wait. Also, my mother in law is flying in 2 weeks later, I am sure they won't be patient for that either, so now I am hoping a harness buddy would be the answer :).

Have a great day,

Monica