Wagons

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by ladybutterflyrose, Oct 25, 2010.

1. ladybutterflyrose

ladybutterflyrose Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of getting a wagon for my (nearly) 3 year olds in the next 6 months or so. What would you recommend? TIA. :)

2. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

Our wagons don't get used much, as pulling 70lbs of kids behind you is no easy task. We have two wagons, Radio Flyer- All Terrain and the Step 2 Canopy Wagon. I really don't have complaints about either one, but I never really used them all that much (they were both gifts). I am tall and it is awkward for me to pull them. I much prefer my stroller.

However recently, the Radio Flyer wagon has become a big hit for the girls to lug all their stuff, or each other in!

3. ladybutterflyrose

Hi Kyrstyn! :wavey: Thanks for the input. I was having trouble pushing them long distances in the stroller, like at the zoo, so we're borrowing a friend's wagon for Halloween and this way they can jump in and out when trick or treating. I saw a twin mom of 2 year old ID boys doing this last year and wondered why I hadn't thought of that! That said, they should want to walk longer distances this year too. I have joint pain and my wrists literally hurt for 3 weeks after pushing them both in Combi SBS at the zoo, so I was hoping for an alternative. Although, 65 pounds is 65 pounds, KWIM?

4. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

We have the Step 2 neighborhood wagon. I like it and it's really not that bad to pull, but in the situations where we use it instead of the stroller they are more likely to want to walk anyway... we took it to the zoo, the fair etc, and the kids mostly walked.

5. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We got a Radio Flyer Canopy Wagon for the kids and they enjoy it. But at almost three, it is hard to pull them along. My DH finds it easier to use the wagon versus the stroller & I find the stroller easier. Good luck with your choice!

6. ldrane

ldrane Well-Known Member

We have the Radio Flyer Trailblazer Canopy Wagon. We like it because it has the double seats and the canopy is a nice feature (although removable if need be). However, it would be even better if it had the all-terrain wheels. I guess it just depends on what kind of terrain you need it for. For sidewalks, it works great but if you get off in grass/dirt/sand...not so much.

7. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We had the Step 2 Choo Choo Wagon & LOVED it! It was discontinued for awhile & we bought ours used & sold it after for more than we paid for it, they were really in demand. But I see that Step 2 has brought them back. Luke & Lila both loved riding in it until they just got too heavy for me to pull.
    Choo Choo Wagon

8. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

We have this one, and we like it. No, it's not as easy to pull as stroller, but my guys *detest* the stroller and refuse to use it. I feel like I wasted a ton of money on a very expensive double stroller that got used probably 10 times. :( They love the wagon, and we take it everywhere (trick-or-treating, beach, apple-picking, etc.). It's nice because it's easy to get the boys in and out of it, and we can use it to haul stuff like beach gear if the boys prefer walking.

9. betha

betha Well-Known Member

Hi, we have the radio flyer with a canopy. My kids really like it. Right now we only use it for trips to our neighborhood park. Mine are starting to refuse the stroller, so I may taking the wagon with us more often. For long distances, I much prefer the stroller. It's easier for me to stand up straight and push forward. The steering is much easier. With the wagon, I have to turn sideways to drag it up a hill. We live in a hilly area, and it's hard to handle for long distances. On a flat, level surfaces it's pretty easy to pull. My kids weigh about 60 pounds right now, and it's manageable. My DH has a much easier time handling the wagon.

10. twinsnowwhat

twinsnowwhat Well-Known Member

We have this one - my only complaint is there is no place for all our gear so something like this might be better.

11. ladybutterflyrose

Thanks everyone! They've been so good about walking and not running off - also not whining and wanting to be held as much (when not in a stroller) when we're out, so I think a wagon will work. I'm glad I can borrow a friend's and try it out first before buying one. You've all been great help. :air_kiss: