Wagon or stroller for 1-2 year olds?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Minette, Nov 24, 2006.

1. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

A while ago I asked for info about wagons, and many of you were enthusiastic about the Radio Flyer Pathfinder. (We were at the zoo today and saw TONS of them.) So I was all set to get one, but DH wonders what this will do that our jog stroller (MBUD) doesn't do, and I didn't really have an answer. The girls rarely protest riding in the stroller, it fits in our car just fine and is really easy to push, and has pretty decent storage baskets. So unless they're going to hit some phase where they simply refuse to ride in the stroller, I admit I'm not sure whether we need a wagon...?

Alden

2. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

A while ago I asked for info about wagons, and many of you were enthusiastic about the Radio Flyer Pathfinder. (We were at the zoo today and saw TONS of them.) So I was all set to get one, but DH wonders what this will do that our jog stroller (MBUD) doesn't do, and I didn't really have an answer. The girls rarely protest riding in the stroller, it fits in our car just fine and is really easy to push, and has pretty decent storage baskets. So unless they're going to hit some phase where they simply refuse to ride in the stroller, I admit I'm not sure whether we need a wagon...?

Alden

3. stephabeanie

stephabeanie Well-Known Member

for us, between about 18 and 30 months, the girls were happier in the wagon. we have a side-by-side stroller and they would aggrivate eachother. they were very happy to face eachother in the wagon. now, at just 3, they are using the stroller again... so, i'd go ahead and get the wagon - it adds some diversity to your outings!

4. BettiePage

BettiePage Well-Known Member

We just went to the zoo yesterday (for the first time -- they LOVED it!) and I was thinking it would be nice if we had a wagon. Getting them in and out of the stroller to pick them up to see the animals was a real pain -- it would've been much easier with a wagon, I think. And I think they could have seen some stuff better evn whil they were in thewagon than they could in the stroller. I think also with the wagon they might feel less confined since the sroller has the 5-point harness and they have to stay in basically one position. I am thinking the wagon might be less restrictive for something like the zoo or the fair orsomething where they will be in it for 2+ hours straight. We don't have a wagon yet, but after our trip to the zoo I think we'll probably get one for their 2nd birthday (in the spring when it starts to warm up again -- yesterday's warm weather was a fluke!).

5. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

My mom got us/babies a wagon for Christmas. I want one because we have a large yard, and I spent a lot of time pushing the stroller around the yard, getting it all muddy. It also gets muddy between the house and garage, and I currently use the stroller to get to the car by myself. Ainsley is not walking yet, and Bea wanders, so it's hard for me to take them to the car without the stroller. I think a wagon might be easier.
    I also think it would be nice for trips like the zoo, a park, stuff like that. I would probably still use the stroller (we have a Duoglider) for the mall and shopping.

6. MusicalAli

MusicalAli Well-Known Member

I only use the wagon at home around the neighborhood. The boys enjoy it because it's different from a stroller and they try to pull it, etc. When they are older, they can use it to drag things (or each other) around the yard. I never bought it with the intention of using it at the zoo, etc.

7. cricket1

cricket1 Well-Known Member

We have that wagon too. They/we used it all the time the summer they turned one. This last summer, though, we did not use it very much. They were pretty heavy together and our zoo has lots of hills. The other thing is they were able to agrivate eachother more with pulling, front pushing and kicking/pushing with feet at each other. I would say unless they are protesting the stroller or you really need to get it you could probably find one used closer to spring if you decide you need one then.

8. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

We love our Pathfinder. The one thing that has really come in handy with it is folding the seats down and using it as a make-shift changing station. I like that there are cup holders, some storage, seat belts and now they have the canopy that can go on top. It's just a different view for them and they really do enjoy it. I don't think they feel as confined.

9. Thumper

Thumper Well-Known Member

We just had this conversation yesterday walking through Target (with the Radio Flyers on sale) - we opted not to get it, because our MBUD already goes everywhere and the kids walk when they don't want to be in the stroller.

We have a red wagon (some generic no-name from Harbor Freight) that we hardly use with the kids because it's a pain to drag out of the garage - it mainly just gets used to ferry stuff between neighbors' houses.

Hope that helps!

--> Andy

10. Ali M

Ali M Well-Known Member

If we're going for any distance, we still use the stroller. My girls were way too active for the freedom of a wagon until almost 3 years old. We never would have made it through the zoo and they were perfectly fine in the stroller. [​IMG] Everyone just was much happier with them in the stroller instead of trying to get out of the wagon.

11. lmBurlingame

lmBurlingame Well-Known Member

We either let the boys walk or put them in their stroller. They are active lil' guys and we've found they try to get out of the wagon while we're pulling it. NOT good (they can weasel out of the lap straps lickety-split)! Also, there are tons of hills where we live and it's much easier to push a stroller rather than pull a wagon.

12. Tracy623

Tracy623 Well-Known Member

Pulling the wagon kills my back! I am petite and the kids weigh more than half my body weight combined. I figured they will use it with eachother when they are older.

Just a thought for the zoo. I bought the wrist "leashes" and attached them to the sides of the jogging stroller. They hold on to the straps and walk throughout the zoo until they are tired. This has really been a nice system. They burn off some energy too instead of me just pushing them around all day.

Tracy

13. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

quote:
    I bought the wrist "leashes" and attached them to the sides of the jogging stroller. They hold on to the straps and walk throughout the zoo until they are tired.

Tracy, LINK PLEASE!! [​IMG]

Alden, I want one everytime I go to the zoo too!! We are getting the Pathfinder for Christmas from Grandparents this year. I wouldn't have used it before now. They aren't reliable enough to stick with me and climbing in and out could be a disaster. ALTHOUGH....I have to say that if I would have started when they were 1 and not walking, I could have trained them.....

Ok....now that I've thought about it. I would say go for it!