VTS...could they be wrong?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by mamajenn282, Nov 30, 2006.

1. mamajenn282

mamajenn282 New Member

Hey Ladies,

I know you get exhausted replying to people that aren't certain if they are pregnant with twins or not and the wishful thinking. But I really dont want to be surprised and it seems to consume my time looking this stuff up on the internet. Until my u/s on Dec. 8th I need opinions.

I had bleeding in the beginning of my pregnancy. At 6wks they did an u/s and found a "clot" which they didn't tell me until the following week it may have been a demised twin (VTS) but that it was reabsorbing (no where near the viable sac). My concern is, the u/s tech didn't even notice the clot the first time until I told her I had bleeding and my uterus was measuring 8wks at my 4wk appt (granted its my second baby but it still seemed large). ONLY THEN she found the clot. At the next appt the clot was still larger than the baby (about the same size as the sac and it resembled a sac itself). At my last u/s (the second one) the baby & sac measured at 6w4d (so measuring a bit behind).

I'm still measuring 2-3wks ahead (and the baby was a week behind). I'm 18w2d and my uterus can be felt above my belly button by about a centimeter or two). My severe symptoms didn't start until AFTER the sac was reabsorbing which included bad m/s (didn't have with DD), fainting (never in my life), severe headaches (never get those either), severe heartburn, uterus feeling heavy, movement at 11wks (with DD I did feel her at 13wks though), severe diarrhea once a week (sorry tmi). The only exception is I still haven't gained weight because of the m/s.

Is it possible there was a twin hiding behind the clot (which registered as a 'white' sac in the picture meaning it was solidifying I think or completely filled with fluid) or even hiding behind the viable sac. Also the lack of her catching the clot to begin with has me wondering. The clot never passed and I never experienced bleeding past 7wks. Is it another possibility that the clot could have been just covering the sac and not actually demised (I know this is probably more of stretch).

I just cant get it out of my head and it drives me crazy. When I had my daughter I thought it would be cool to have twins, but now I know how much work, complications, and fear goes into twins and i just want to be prepared! I would be happy with either or. Let me know what you think. My 3rd and final u/s is the BIG ONE on December 8th.

Oh at 16DPo my hcg was 129 and 18DPo 315 which isn't much higher but it did triple (maybe because the other sac hadn't fully demised yet). I would feel totally comfortable if you think its a singleton, but I still cant get it out of my head! Especially when I feel kicks high and low!

2. mamajenn282

mamajenn282 New Member

Hey Ladies,

I know you get exhausted replying to people that aren't certain if they are pregnant with twins or not and the wishful thinking. But I really dont want to be surprised and it seems to consume my time looking this stuff up on the internet. Until my u/s on Dec. 8th I need opinions.

I had bleeding in the beginning of my pregnancy. At 6wks they did an u/s and found a "clot" which they didn't tell me until the following week it may have been a demised twin (VTS) but that it was reabsorbing (no where near the viable sac). My concern is, the u/s tech didn't even notice the clot the first time until I told her I had bleeding and my uterus was measuring 8wks at my 4wk appt (granted its my second baby but it still seemed large). ONLY THEN she found the clot. At the next appt the clot was still larger than the baby (about the same size as the sac and it resembled a sac itself). At my last u/s (the second one) the baby & sac measured at 6w4d (so measuring a bit behind).

I'm still measuring 2-3wks ahead (and the baby was a week behind). I'm 18w2d and my uterus can be felt above my belly button by about a centimeter or two). My severe symptoms didn't start until AFTER the sac was reabsorbing which included bad m/s (didn't have with DD), fainting (never in my life), severe headaches (never get those either), severe heartburn, uterus feeling heavy, movement at 11wks (with DD I did feel her at 13wks though), severe diarrhea once a week (sorry tmi). The only exception is I still haven't gained weight because of the m/s.

Is it possible there was a twin hiding behind the clot (which registered as a 'white' sac in the picture meaning it was solidifying I think or completely filled with fluid) or even hiding behind the viable sac. Also the lack of her catching the clot to begin with has me wondering. The clot never passed and I never experienced bleeding past 7wks. Is it another possibility that the clot could have been just covering the sac and not actually demised (I know this is probably more of stretch).

I just cant get it out of my head and it drives me crazy. When I had my daughter I thought it would be cool to have twins, but now I know how much work, complications, and fear goes into twins and i just want to be prepared! I would be happy with either or. Let me know what you think. My 3rd and final u/s is the BIG ONE on December 8th.

Oh at 16DPo my hcg was 129 and 18DPo 315 which isn't much higher but it did triple (maybe because the other sac hadn't fully demised yet). I would feel totally comfortable if you think its a singleton, but I still cant get it out of my head! Especially when I feel kicks high and low!

3. kuchar

kuchar Well-Known Member

First of all, congratulations on your pregnancy!
    As for your questions... until I was pregnant this time and started reading these message boards, I would have said they should have seen a twin by now, but there have been a few moms I have seen that had earlier ultrasounds that missed a twin, and didn't find out until much later in the pregnancy that that they were having two babies. So I guess you'll have to wait until December 8th to know for sure. Sorry... I know that is a long time to wait. Good luck... I hope everything turns out how you want it to.
    Helen

4. Marbear

Marbear Well-Known Member

So you were diagnosed with a healthy singleton and a possible vanished twin? That's just what I am reading so I want to make sure I am clear. I guess you are going to have to wait as well, but I did have severe diarrhea with my miscarriage, so it may be a side effect of the body reabsorbing the clot or vanished twin...whatever that was. I've heard diarrhea is sometimes present during stuff like that because the body gets confused and just knows SOMETHING has to be removed from the body but gets mixed up in its signals. That could be a bunch of hooey, but it gelled with what I experienced so I don't think it is that crazy. Sounds like you have at least one very healthy baby with the kicks, and if you DID have a twin that vanished it shouldn't affect the remaining baby at all.

5. mamajenn282

mamajenn282 New Member

Yes, that is correct. I've been diagnosed with a healthy singleton and possible VTS because of the size of the sac/clot and the blood flow around it. I do have two sets of fraternal twins on my side so that would definitely be fitting that it was VTS and not a random blood clot.

I did not think of the diarrhea being from the m/c. That would actually make some sense, since my progesterone would have dropped which can cause contractions. I was on prometrium too so maybe after I stopped that is why I'm still continuing to have it weekly. It was weird because I had it with DD but only in the 3rd tri. So that is why I thought it was strange!

Well I guess I just need to wait and see! [​IMG] [​IMG]