"vitamin sickness"

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by twinzies, Feb 22, 2008.

1. twinzies

twinzies Active Member

I forgot to take my prenatal vitamin the day before yesterday and I felt great! I took it again yesterday and today and now I feel like barfing again. :bad: Anyone else getting vitamin sick instead of morning sick?

2. brookbranplus2

brookbranplus2 Well-Known Member

I had morning sickness and it would get a lot worse after taking the prenatal vitamin. I told my Dr and he prescribed a special prenatal vitamin callled
    preg vit. You take one in the morning and one at night...it was sooo much better.

3. twinzies

twinzies Active Member

Thank you sooooo much. I will definately ask. :D

4. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

Yes, I had such a hard time with my vitamin, to the point that many days I just plain did not take it because I did not want to get sick. Once the morning sickness dwindled, I started taking it again.

It did help me some to take it later (almost towards night/bedtime) in the day than earlier. Also, I could not take it on an empty stomach.

My heart goes out to you....I remember too well.............

5. alliandre

alliandre Well-Known Member

I have always had this problem so now I take mine right before bed. I don't get sick this way, or if I do then I'm asleep and don't know it. lol

6. clb8899

clb8899 Well-Known Member

My prenatal vitamins make me sick too. I think they're supposed to be taken on an empty stomach, but I just can't do it. I have to eat something every time I take one. The doctor did say it was OK to eat with them. I don't really think my stomach is ever empty. I'm always hungry!!

7. twins2008

twins2008 Well-Known Member

Vitamins as a general rule make me sick. I don't usually take them when I am not pregnant unless I find one that works well, then I have about a month before it makes me sick and I have to switch. I take my prenatal vitamin before bed so that if I feel sick I won't know. I will probably do this with a regular vitamin after, especially while I am breastfeeding. Good luck.

8. becky5

becky5 Guest

I had a hard time with pre-natals, in fact, I couldn't take them with my first two pregnancies. With Josh and the twins, I took a whole food vitamin, and they were SO much easier on my tummy!

9. aimeemolloy

aimeemolloy Well-Known Member

same here - PNV before bed......and Iron too. good luck...it is never fun feeling sick.

10. 2B2G

2B2G Well-Known Member

I've struggled with taking prenatal vitamins this whole pregnancy. I started taking a gummy type vitamin that at least has Vit A, C, D, etc. but no minerals. Some days all I took was plain folic acid. My OB said that as long as I was eating well I was okay. A couple weeks ago I started to feel more tired and weak so I wondered if it was really time that I knuckle down because I needed the iron. I can't take it at night due to heart burn. But most days I can take a once a day at lunch with food. HTH

11. KellyJ

KellyJ Well-Known Member

I had that issue with both of my pregnancies and I solved it by taking a Flintstone's Complete. My Dr said they are fine to take. I never had an issue with anything, iron was great and all the kids came out fine. As PP have said, taking them before bed helps too. Good luck!

kelly

12. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My sister takes Flintstone vitamins (or some kind of children's vitamins) because she got sick from the prenatals. I always took my prenatals at night so I could sleep through any nausea I got from them.

13. nicolegalchutt

nicolegalchutt Well-Known Member

I tried taking prenatal vitamins with my first pregnancy and with this twin pregancy and I would throw up minutes later everytime so I figure its better to not take it and keep my food down. I did take folic acid alone for the first trimester and take an iron pill now and then when I feel my body needs it. But I really try to get all my vitamins from the foods I eat. I also try to drink one ensure protein drink every few days and I know its fortified with lots of vitamins. Now and then I feel a little guilty for not taking vitamins but the boys last measurment at 34 weeks was 6 pounds 10 ounces each so I know they are growing just fine and my dr reasssures me that they are healthy.

14. babymOmmax2

babymOmmax2 Well-Known Member

I too, take my vitamin before bed - that way I can just sleep on it instead of feeling sick during the day from them. My original doc told me to take Flinstone vitamins which I thought was redic.. they made me gag.. both the pill & the gummies. Now I just take 'Prenatal Vitamins' that I get at CVS and I havnt had a problem since!