Varicose Veins

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by RondaJo, Dec 13, 2006.

1. RondaJo

RondaJo Well-Known Member

So I was wondering if there was anyone out there going through the same thing I am. I have a really bad varicose vein that starts half way up my thigh and goes all the way up and then across my pelvic region. I have trouble doing much of anything, and with having a 17 month old and a house to clean, I have to be up and about. I love my DH but when I ask him to help he just won't. He says his been at work all day and just wants to relax. Well, I'd love to just relax sometime too. Anyway I was just kind of venting right there. I just want to know if any of you have trouble with varicose veins like that and how do you cope? What do you do to manage to get through your day with out crying in pain?
    Also, how do you mangae a toddler and newborn twins? That's the other thing I've been kind of stressing about. The closer I get to having the girls the more I find to stress about.

2. RondaJo

RondaJo Well-Known Member

So I was wondering if there was anyone out there going through the same thing I am. I have a really bad varicose vein that starts half way up my thigh and goes all the way up and then across my pelvic region. I have trouble doing much of anything, and with having a 17 month old and a house to clean, I have to be up and about. I love my DH but when I ask him to help he just won't. He says his been at work all day and just wants to relax. Well, I'd love to just relax sometime too. Anyway I was just kind of venting right there. I just want to know if any of you have trouble with varicose veins like that and how do you cope? What do you do to manage to get through your day with out crying in pain?
    Also, how do you mangae a toddler and newborn twins? That's the other thing I've been kind of stressing about. The closer I get to having the girls the more I find to stress about.

3. mrsfussypants

mrsfussypants Well-Known Member

I haven't had vericose veins before, but I know from friends that they can be very painful!! As far as stressing about getting everything done...you just gotta realize--you can only do what you can do. There are just days your house might look like a bomb hit it. It's OK! You need to take care of yourself which in turn is taking care of your babies. As for toddlers and newborn twins--I don't have a clue! That is my #1 concern with the twins coming is how to handle caring for them as well as a toddler. Lots of us are in the same boat. We will all live through it and probably laugh about it....hang in there!

4. khendrix

khendrix Well-Known Member

I have terrible ones, too. They are all around my vagina. I had never even heard of this before. They hurt so badly. They make it very difficult to walk to sleep comfortably. I can't believe I'm still working with them!

That is the only thing I'm really, really having a hard time with. Of course, at 31+ weeks, I hurt and ache, but this is definitely the WORST part.

Hopefully it won't be much longer now.

5. bethsull

bethsull Well-Known Member

I had this with my first singleton pregnancy and anticipate that it will be even worse with this twins PG. (I'm 9w1d) It's AWFUL. The best thing I found was a "V strap." It kind of looked like a jock strap. I got it from the medical supply company after my doctor wrote me a prescription. It sucked everything way in and kept the veins from bulging. This reduced the pain but didn't eliminate it altogether. It did help. I had bad veins from my crotch down to my foot on my left leg. I tried the medical stockings but I got so rashy from the heat (summertime) that I couldn't handle it and wound up wrapping my leg in ace bandages. It's rough I know. Talk to your OB/GYN and see if they have any recommendations. My insurance covered the stockings and the V-strap with just a small co-pay but every insurance is different. Good luck!

6. hilly

hilly Well-Known Member

I'm glad you posted this because I was beginning to feel like I was the only one. Last night was the worst so far but it's been progressively getting worse each day. During my internal last week the doc said I need the V-supporter or V-strap that you're talking about beth but I didn't want to spend the $$ and have it offer no relief. It's good to hear that it works if even just a little bit, I may go on a hunt for one tomorrow. Anyway, last night I wasn't able to do anything because my legs hurt so bad and my veins were hurting, bulging and itching so badly. I don't remember this happening with my daughter and maybe it didn't but then again I had a desk job where I could prop my feet up all day rather than being a SAHM where I'm up and about all day running around after my daughter, cleaning, getting groceries, etc. I can't imagine that I was 12 more weeks of this kind of pain, not to mention what it's going to do permanently to my legs and crotch region. [​IMG]

7. AWerner

AWerner Well-Known Member

Glad to once again find myself not the only one with these worries. My VV start out behind my knee and go all the way to the crease where my panty line is, and then up onto my backside, which starts to ache if I have been to long on my feet
    I finally bought a pair of maternity compression hose, tho mine are just from motherhood, to see if they helped at all, which suprisingly they do,although more with swelling around the ankles than the veins.
    I only wear them to work because the ride all the way up under my chest(sexy!) and make my belly itch like crazy, and lately I still end up limping around after my 3-4hr shift.
    I have a 2 1/2year old with tons of energy so I also understand how hard it is to stay off your feet at home, my house is a disaster, I have had to ask my bro-in-law's girlfriend to come over to help pick up before I trip and fall!

Hope you find some relief and this like everything else will eventually pass!

8. MyRiley

MyRiley Member

I have vaginal vericose veins that are painful but the one vericose vein on my inner thigh does not bother me. I had one vaginal vericose vein w/ my DD but this pg is a lot worse. I finally had to hire a Mother's Helper/Nanny when I hit 25 wks to help me w/ my DD who is 2 1/2. I will be 27 wks tomorrow. I don't have as many BH contractions anymore. I really don't have the money for the nanny but I didn't have a choice. I also hired a house cleaner. I haven't done anything about the vericose pain. All I can suggest is take what ever free help is offered to you. If you can afford a Mother's Helper I highly recommend it. It was the best thing I have done for myself since my DH is not helpful.

Take care of yourself,

Michelle