Using honey for a cough (spin off sort of)

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by ahmerl, Feb 11, 2009.

1. ahmerl

ahmerl Well-Known Member

I am such a ninny but I really don't know the answer to this and I do not want anyone getting botulism in this house :)! Please forgive my ignorance. I asked my mom but she was no help...

2. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

If you put honey in the fridge, you will NEVER get it to pour out of the bear or where ever you have it. I leave mine in the cupboard, but if you you have special local honey that's not on the shelf when you buy it .... read the label carefully.

3. Twin nanny

Twin nanny Well-Known Member

We keep our honey out on the shelf.

4. KellyJ

KellyJ Well-Known Member

I had the same question a few months ago and researched the answer online. Everything I found says there is no need to refridgerate honey ever. Pure honey does not grow mold and can fight off most bacteria and actually has many healing properties.. The botulism thing is something to be concerned about in infants under 12 months of age. It is most important not to ever give honey to children under 12 months because honey contains botulism spores that older children and adults have the stomach acid to fight off but infants do not. Botumlism spores are found in soil, dust and honey and are typically not ingested enough to cause illness except in the case of honey. Sometimes the illness is mild enough that the child can recover but it can be very deadly and is often misdiagnosed causing treatment to be delayed which can lead to death. Honey can contain botulism spores even when refridgerated!! Here is some more detailed info about botulism and honey: http://www.drgreene.com/21_825.html

I do not trust everything on the internet, but between that and everyone I have asked, no one refridgerates honey. The only thing honey will do is turn to sugar and even then you can heat it to turn it back to it's original consistency. It takes years for it to turn. So the net net is don't give it to children under one and don't refridgerate it!

Kelly

5. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

We keep ours in the cupboard.
    I haven't thought that much about botulism, but my assumption would be that the honey either has it or it doesn't, regardless of temperature. Also, as Diane said, you would have to cut cold honey with a knife. :D

6. jenn-

jenn- Well-Known Member

We keep it in the cupboard as well. My kids like this method of cough relief best... lol.

7. hezza12

hezza12 Well-Known Member

We keep ours in the upstairs cupboard with all the other medicine!

8. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

Like Kelly said honey is anti-bacterial which is part of what makes it good for a cough. I just don't get why some people think you can substitute Karo syrup? In a pinch put honey on a cut or scrape (though why you'd have honey on hand and Not soap and water is a mystery). I love honey, it's such amazing stuff. I've even read it works as spermacide, but not willing to risk trying it out myself! :p