Update on Eye Dr Appt for Son's Eyes/Headaches

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Lydia, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Lydia

Lydia Well-Known Member

Some of you may recall I posted on here about my son who is constantly rubbing his eyes and dealing with extreme headaches. We went to the eye doctor yesterday and she was able to answer a few of our questions. Almost instantly she noticed something wrong with my son's eyes. She asked me if he had any allergies and I told her that he has no known allergies. She then showed me the inside of his eyes and how red and bumpy they are and said that there must be something that he is allergic to because of those bumps. She said that it must feel like he has eyelashes in his eyes at all times and that is why he is rubbing his eyes constantly. Of course I feel bad that I haven't noticed these bumps. I've looked in his eyes many times thinking there must be something in them because he is rubbing them so much. As it turns out, there are all these bumps from his allergy. The she put him on an eye drop and we are returning in two weeks to see if they help him plus we are going to our family doctor to see if they can pinpoint the allergy. She also said his headaches could very well be caused by a combination of the irritated eyes and allergy. My mother is extremely sensitive to scented products and they have caused her debilitating headaches in the past so I actually understand this diagnosis and feel it may be the right one. In the meantime I've tried to eliminate as many allergens as I can from our home. Thanks to everyone on here for their support.

2. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

Wow! That would never have occurred to me in a million years. I'm glad that the doctor was so quick to spot it! Please let us know how this progresses!

3. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

Glad you found some answers, hope he feels better soon!!

4. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

I'm so glad she was able to find out his problem. I have eye allergy 2x/yr. so I know. It's very very horrible. The more you blink, the worse it is. It got worst when I wear contact lenses. I hope he is feeling much better now :)

You might check out your gardens or neighborhoods plants. I only get the allergy when I visit my parents. I'm not sure what plant it is though. Also, you can ask his pedi for the allergy test. They should be able to find out though. It might be expensive though. Gl!

I'm really sorry that he got this allergy :(

5. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Thank you for the update. Like Stephanie said, that is something that would have never occurred to me. Glad you got some answers and I hope your little guy gets some relief.

6. daisies

daisies Well-Known Member

I would not have connected that with the headache. Glad you got some answers!

I have an eye allergy every once in a while, in ONE eye.. go figure!
    The first time it happened i started plucking out eye lashes! That is exactly how it feels like an eye lash is rubbing your eye.

Those eye drops were not cheap but they did help.

7. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Glad you got some answers. Is there any way to test him for allergies to see what the problem is?

8. Robynsegg

Robynsegg Well-Known Member

Oh my goodness! I cant' imagine the pain he must have been in "the feeling of eyelashes in your eyes at all time..." poor dear! So glad that you got some answers and that you are on the right path!!! Keep us posted!

9. 3under2!

3under2! Well-Known Member

So happy that you found a great doctor who is knowledgeable and helpful! Hopefully you will get the allergy pinpointed soon too and this will all be over!! Good luck!

10. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

My eye allergies are bad enough to prevent me from wearing contacts. If he is having a high allergy day you might try keeping him indoors the next. My indoor allergies are much less severe than my out door ones. If they put him on something like Zyrtec or Alavert make sure it's given everyday because just one missed dose can mess you up for several days