Unusual baby names.

Discussion in 'General' started by twin_trip_mommy, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

That reminds me of a former football player at our sons' high school, Benjamin Dover. His nickname? Ben. Yes, Ben Dover (bend over). That was real attractive when the announcer was calling the game. :rofl:

2. PJ

PJ Well-Known Member

I know of someone named Bob Loblaw - not uncommon names at all but said together it sounds like blah, blah, blah to me.

3. PumpkinPies

PumpkinPies Well-Known Member

I've been a school librarian for 14 years and have seen a lot of names. Even as a kid, I read naming-your-baby books, books about the meanings of names, etc. I find it fascinating.
    1. Yes, southerners have always named their kids w/ family surnames as first or middle. I like the tradition, but I would only do it if the name itself was an appealing name. My girls names are all for family, except Ella's middle -- was DH's babysitter whom he adored. We even gave our dog a surname -- he's Cooper.

2. Southerners also (still!) favor the double names. I realized a long time ago to look at the names w/ apostrophes as just a variation on the theme. I've taught kids name D'Onna, Ne'Qua, Re'gine and (yes, really) - Jer'Dasha (she prefers to go by Dasha). But objectively, how are any of them weirder than Anna Kate, or Dick Bob (yes, really!)?

3.My "on the other hand" comment (because I always have to have one!) I think most people appreciate being remembered and called by name. It's part of our social nature as humans. Why name your child something that makes it unlikely he'll routinely be called by name -- either because it is so unusual most people can't remember it (because you have to both learn it as a word and remember to whom it's attached) or because the average person can't decide how to pronounce it, doesn't want to make a mistake, so they just avoid saying.

This second reason is very pronounced for me because I have a hearing loss and have to work hard to learn new words. I struggled with "Jereminial" for months and only regularly called him by name halfway through the school year. Jemmia -- I can never remember if she's Je ME ah or Je MY ah. Yes, I do end up eventually learning most of my kids' names (it's really a point of pride with me and something I work hard at, at a school of over 700 now). But I think remember them for the same reason my high school dance teacher gave for us remembering that hard step sequence we learned for our senior recital --what you struggle to learn sticks in your brain! And she was right, I still tap out those steps when I'm fidgeting at my desk.

I would only like to insist that if you want to give your child an unusual name or choose an unusual spelling, you teach them to correct people politely with a smile.

Love, Marcia (as in Marcia, Marcia, Marcia!) (and yes, that's the correct spelling) (no, it's not Mar see ah) (No, it's not m-a-r-s-h-a).

4. Brizzy_Twins

Brizzy_Twins Well-Known Member

That sounds like what i do. I love looking through books like that and websites. Its fun, and really interesting reading of the name meanings and stuff :) Yeah, There are some strange names thats for sure!

5. sullivanre

sullivanre Well-Known Member

Ok, I've got one for you guys. My brother's 5th grade teacher was Jack Knauff.

6. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

:rotflmbo:

7. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

You reminded me that I know someone who's father was Jack Gough (rhymes with cough) and my husband knows someone named Mike Hunt. (Really).

8. sullivanre

sullivanre Well-Known Member

Leave it to the librarian to wax poetic about names :)

I get to see about 100-120 students every semester, but some of them are repeats, so I probably get 50+ new people. I'm not sure what's more frustrating, having a hard time deciphering names, or having 3 or 4 students with the same name. I get get multiple Jacqueline's (spelled 20 different ways), Christine/a's, and Nicole's in almost every class.

9. Brizzy_Twins

Heres a name ive never heard of before, I had a little girl in a prep class i was working in last year and her name was Chenoa (Sha-no-ah). Different.. and also another little girl called Makaede (Ma-kay-dee)

10. Brizzy_Twins

oh and by the way Prep in schools over here is like Preschool or Kindergarten for you guys in the states :) thought id clarify that just so you know what im talking about lol

11. Kristin N

Kristin N Well-Known Member

I went to school with a Mike Humm...not as bad, but there were still jokes made.

12. MSB1203

MSB1203 Well-Known Member

I didn't read the whole thread but not too long ago, someone told me this same story about they had a kid in their class named Le-a and they were pronouncing her name Leah, and the mom called and said, its not LEAH, its La(dash)A...the dash isn't silent. So at the time, I laughed my head off and shook my head, but now I'm starting to think maybe this is a joke.

13. Brizzy_Twins

Maybe it was a joke but I wont be surprised if it was true. there are some weird parents out there. I just feel sorry for the kids lol. We had a girl in our high school class and her name me LeBeau she got teased so much for that.

14. MomofOneplusTwins

MomofOneplusTwins Well-Known Member

I have not read all the responses, so I am not sure if anyone has heard of this one...

Shi Thead (Prounced Sha)

Put it together and it spells

****Head

My father owns a Maaco and I literally this was on her license!

15. Brizzy_Twins

Wow.. How Crazy. You'd think the parents would think about this stuff before naming kids lol.

16. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

I'm about to shove a fork in my eye.

17. Code

Code Well-Known Member

I have a friend whos name is Alec S (last name) then her brother is Cooper S (last name) Their parents couldnt think of middle names so gave them letters which is different to me

No, no don't do that :)

18. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

President Harry S Truman's "S" does not stand for anything.

19. Code

Code Well-Known Member

Interesting, just have personally never seen/know of anyone who has a random letter for a middle name :)

20. Brizzy_Twins

Ive never heard of using just a letter as a middle name.. thats strange to me.

21. debbie_long83

debbie_long83 Well-Known Member

I did have a student my first year teaching who went by Dash. It was short for something (can't remember what at the moment) but there was not an actual - in her name. :) Just thought I'd throw that in there for all the dash people...