U/S last Friday at 34 weeks...

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Angelaandtwins, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Angelaandtwins

Angelaandtwins Well-Known Member

THe US tech told me on Friday to "put away those newborn clothes" - my boys supposedly weigh 7.5 and 8 pounds ALREADY!! At 34 weeks?? This sounds way high to me - my doctor told me today that they can be very unreliable when it comes to weight but usually no more so than a pound in either direction. Does this match up with your experiences? I still have three weeks until my c-section!

Angela

2. twinreverb

twinreverb Well-Known Member

wow that is crazy... here is the average on this site. ts: gestation poll congrats on big babies. My DH and his brother were close to 10 pounders so it could be right. DH was late but his brother is now over 6'5. gl

3. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Our babies were mid to upper 7 lb range at 38 weeks and we did still use newborn clothes. Yes, when the babies are older gestational age-wise, it is much more difficult to get accurate measurements. I was never told how big to expect them, so when they came out as big as they did, I was shocked! It sounds as if you bake them well!

4. Saramcc

Saramcc Well-Known Member

Keep the clothes, my doc was wrong about their weight. They said we were having 6-7 lbs babies. The boy was 5lbs 11 oz and our girl was 4lbs 8oz.

Not to say that your doc is wrong, I just wouldn't take the weight estimation 100% serious.

5. lisaessman@verizon.net

[email protected] Well-Known Member

Wow! Even if they are a bit off, it sounds like they will be a good size. That's a lot of baby!

6. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

Mine measured lower 6lbs at 34 weeks and they turned out to be correct. Born close to 8lbs at 38w. They still fit newborn, but not very long. I agree that u/s have been more wrong than right when it comes to "estimated big babies". Mine always measured ahead, consistently 2 weeks. Did yours too? Even though this doesn't mean anything but it would be "weird" if they all of a sudden had a major growth spurt especially since u/s get less and less reliable when you are further along.

Mine were a little under 1 lbs at 20 weeks, 2lbs11oz at 26 weeks (both), then 4lbs5oz and 4lbs6oz at 30 weeks and lower 6lbs range at 34 weeks, so as you can see, consistent along the way.

Either way, keep growing them! I think the largest ones we had on here were 8lbs range and lower 9lbs at 38/39 weeks, and recently something similar at 36 1/2 weeks.

7. Angelaandtwins

Angelaandtwins Well-Known Member

Yeah - they've always measured a bit ahead for their dates - I think they are long and slender like my daughter was - (8'16" at 41 weeks but I remember the tech guessing much higher with her too)

We'll just have to wait and see - I'm not putting away any clothes just yet!

QUOTE(Mom2SofieAndTwins @ Feb 26 2008, 02:38 AM) [snapback]640709[/snapback]
    Mine measured lower 6lbs at 34 weeks and they turned out to be correct. Born close to 8lbs at 38w. They still fit newborn, but not very long. I agree that u/s have been more wrong than right when it comes to "estimated big babies". Mine always measured ahead, consistently 2 weeks. Did yours too? Even though this doesn't mean anything but it would be "weird" if they all of a sudden had a major growth spurt especially since u/s get less and less reliable when you are further along.

Mine were a little under 1 lbs at 20 weeks, 2lbs11oz at 26 weeks (both), then 4lbs5oz and 4lbs6oz at 30 weeks and lower 6lbs range at 34 weeks, so as you can see, consistent along the way.

Either way, keep growing them! I think the largest ones we had on here were 8lbs range and lower 9lbs at 38/39 weeks, and recently something similar at 36 1/2 weeks.

8. nicolegalchutt

nicolegalchutt Well-Known Member

whoa! those are some big weights mama!! and i thought mine were big. I had a 34 week ultrasound measuring 6pd 10 ounce and 6 pd 11 ounce. You must be very uncomfortable :( but at least they're on the bigger side rather than small. Im now 36 weeks and feeling very big, cant wait to have my body back soon. or at least whats left of it. lol... good luck to you. What are the sexes of your babies? mine are boys.

9. twinzmom2b

twinzmom2b Well-Known Member

Wow, that sounds really high, but I guess you never know. Mine were born at 34w1d and were 4 lb. 8 oz. and 3 lb. 14 oz.

10. JediMom

JediMom Well-Known Member

Ehhh, I wouldn't believe it. They thought my son would be 11 lbs. I even went out and got a bigger outfit for him to wear home from the hospital because they were just SO convinced. He came in an ounce UNDER 9lbs. Take it with a grain of salt and don't worry too much about it. ((((HUGS)))

11. Ange2k25

Ange2k25 Well-Known Member

My girls were born at 38 weeks weighing 5 pounds 13 ounces and 6 pounds 3 ounces. A co-worker who was expecting b/g twins was told at 34 weeks that her babies were each over 6 1/2 pounds. There were born 2 weeks later. I don't remember their exact weights, but I laughed because the OB had her convinced she was having these large babies and their combined weight was within an ounce of my girls' combined weight.

12. Sofiesmom

QUOTE(Angela2 @ Feb 26 2008, 09:59 PM) [snapback]641558[/snapback]
    Yeah - they've always measured a bit ahead for their dates - I think they are long and slender like my daughter was - (8'16" at 41 weeks but I remember the tech guessing much higher with her too)

We'll just have to wait and see - I'm not putting away any clothes just yet!

My oldest was 9lbs2oz also at 41w2d, they estimated her 1/2 lbs lower 3 days before ... so pretty accurate.

Good luck!

13. Jayn

Jayn Well-Known Member

my measurements were close at 34 wks and the babies were 4-14 and 6-0

14. vivalalexa

vivalalexa Well-Known Member

My twins were born at 38 weeks weighing 7 lbs 1 oz and 7 lbs 2 oz. At 36 weeks they told me baby A (7 lbs 1 oz) was 7 lbs 8 oz. and baby b (7 lbs 2 oz) was 7 lbs even.
    Obviously they were way off on baby A because she could have only been a little over 6 lbs at that time...

So yes they can be wrong but even if your babies are a pound lighter than they say, they are still big! So congrats

15. Sofiesmom

I just remembered. My best friend's twins were estimated (large) at about 7lbs a piece ... they were born upper 4lbs and lower 5lbs range at 37 1/2 weeks. Kilos off!