Twins weight discrepancy - They now have me scheduled for an ultrasound every week

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Vhall91, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Vhall91

Vhall91 Member

Just finished at my 30 weeks ultrasound with fraternal twins. They now have me scheduled for an ultrasound every week because baby A is 2.7 lbs and baby B is 3.2. So they said they need to monitor closely to see if it levels out and to make sure it doesn't get worse. Mentioned that if it gets worse then id probably have to get the steroid shot to help them develop as much as possible before I'd have to deliver them. Just wanted to know if anyone else has had this problem arise

2. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I had that happen at around 28 weeks I think. At the prior ultrasound both babies were the same size, then baby b was smaller at the next ultrasound. I had to stop work and was put on very limited activity.

My girls were born at 33 weeks 6 days with out any real issues. Now they are healthy 9 year olds.

3. Vhall91

Vhall91 Member

Yeah the weird thing is he's always been smaller and she's always been bigger but this was the first time is was mentioned. Last ultrasound a month ago he was 1.7 and she was 2, so I guess the difference has increased a little bit . Did they give you the steroid? And or did you go into labor naturally or induced? C section or vaginally? Sorry for the swarm of questions, I just seem to get better answers from other moms than I do the doctors

4. Vhall91

Vhall91 Member

He also told me to continue working and my activity level as usual.. Hmm and my baby B is bigger which is more uncommon they say that usually if there's a difference the one on top is smaller as yours was

5. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

If your twins are di-di a weight discrepancy isn't a particularly big deal. It's more concerning if one of the babies's individual growth has started slowing as that can be a preliminary sign of placenta or cord issues.

My girls were mono-di and my baby B was 1 lbs 5 oz bigger at birth. They were concerned at one point over the discrepancy because with twins who share a placenta it can be a sign of TTTS. I had an unmedicated vaginal birth for both girls at 34+1.

6. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

My b/g twins were 6.2 and 7.13 at birth at 37.5 weeks. Both totally healthy. It's good that they are monitoring, but it's not necessarily (or even likely) a concern. My doctor never talked about a steroid shot, but they always measured close (another issue--u/s weights can be way off).

7. ljcrochet

The dr just wanted me to take it easy.  My water broke at 33 weeks and 5 days at like 3 in the morning.  We went to the hospital and they monitored me almost all day.  It was too late for the steroid shots.  At around 11 pm they started me on pitocin, maybe a half hour later I got an epidural since I could not get comfortable- not because I was in pain.  I had them vaganily the next morning.  

When the hospital was trying to figure out what to do with me, they gave me an ultrasound to see the size of the babies which was off on both girls.  I think both were over 5 lbs on the ultrasound DD1 was born at 4 pounds 13 ounces, DD2 who was born feet first since she was transverse and they were unable to flip her head down was 4 pounds 4 ounces.  DD2 came home about a week after she was born, DD1 was having self correcting apnea issues, so she was in the NICU for close to 2 weeks.  Came home on caffeine medicine and an apnea monitor.

I joke that DD2 pushed DD1 to break her water since she was ready to be born.

8. Vhall91

Vhall91 Member

Yikes to delivering baby A breech!! Mine is breech right now and my doc said they'll give me the choice if he stays that way but I think I'd be too scared and opt for c section at that point. I hear post doctors automatically do c section if A is breech. I want to deliver vaginally but I don't want to deliver feet first or have them try to flip him around
    I work on my feet 8-10 hrs a day :/ ugh!

9. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Most doctors opt to deliver a breech baby surgically because they lack the skills to attend a vaginal breech birth not because vaginal breech birth is itself inherently significantly more dangerous. Statistically, the biggest risk with a vaginal breech birth is a care provider who doesn't know what they're doing. Since your OB is willing to support a vaginal breech birth I'm guessing they have the requisite skill set. That being said, are there *different* risks to consider with a breech baby as compared to a vertex baby? Yup. But there are some pretty major risks to surgical birth as well. It wouldn't be choosing between the "risky" option and the "safe" option, as much as we might wish it were that clear cut. I would encourage you to do some research on breech birth (especially the politics of it) and really ask lots of questions of your care provider before making any final decisions. http://www.mybreechbaby.org is a great place to start. Also, http://spinningbabies.com for techniques to get baby A to turn around.

1 person likes this.
  10. ljcrochet

It was twin b who was transverse and born feet first. My dr was very pro vaginal birth.
    Make sure to do all your research. don't be afraid to ask dr questions. You have to me your and the babies advocates.

11. Spn

Spn New Member

Hi
    We just had our 29th week scan on 12th and baby A is 2.6 and baby B is 3.2 doctor has asked for repeat scan on 30th. Baby A was just .1 lb smaller in 25th week scan so we are little worried If growth of baby A is slowing down. Doctor told us that in that case she will deliver as soon as A is ready and then baby's may have to stay in NICU for couple of weeks. Is that normal or should we be worried about it?

Vhall91, how did your delivery go, can you share your experience since our situation seems like identical to yours.

12. pretty girl

pretty girl Well-Known Member

I'm being watched a little closer for my di-di twins. Right now their growth difference is 9%. I can't go more than 20% or we have a problem.