Twins sleeping together and Sids?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by TiffanyRH, Jan 14, 2013.

1. TiffanyRH

TiffanyRH Active Member

Hey everyone, on another twin message board I read that if u allow your twins to sleep together there is a higher Sids risk. Have any of u heard this? What r your thoughts? I had planned on allowing our girls to sleep together if they will atleast until they start to roll over but now I'm worried about that. What do u all think? Thanks!

2. AKilburn

AKilburn Well-Known Member

Mine along with numerous other ladies here all have/ had our twins sleeping together at one point.

From what I has read the AAP says no co-sleeping but it wasn't directed solely at twins. In fact the nursery at tge hospital put my twins together bc Jackson was crying so much, the minute he was next to his sister he calmed down. There have been studies that show the thrive better, feed better, heart rate and breathing is better, and sleep better.

There are certain things to do to lower the risk of SIDS
    - use a firm mattress
    - no stuffed animals
    - use pacifiers
    -don't over dress them
    - no blankets
    - when they start getting too crowded separate them into their own cribs.

Obviously though you need to listen to your intuition. If you don't want to risk it then don't. Or you can talk to the pedi about it too!

3. genagoodrow

genagoodrow Well-Known Member

There are a lot of disagreement on this, but i'll share my $0.02. I looked into SIDS when I was expecting my twins, because twins generally have a higher rate of SIDS than other babes. Second born more than first, third more than second, twins more than most.

The research I found and was very convinced by is that SIDS is caused from outgassing of flame retardants in mattresses and stuffed bedding. Crib mattresses are mostly foam, and very flammable. The government required increased levels of flame retardants. These are chemicals like arsenic. When household fungi come in contact with these chemicals, they react and produce a gas. It's heavier than air and sits on the top of the mattress. The older the mattress, the bigger the problem.

This theory explains all the SIDS findings. Back to sleep helps because it gets the babe's face away from the mattress. A fan and a cool room help because it decreases and disperses the gas. Twins are more at risk because they're more likely to be sleeping on a secondhand mattress.

Fortunately there's an easy solution - wrap your mattress in a gas impermeable cover - polyethylene. You can buy one online for $30 or go to the hardware store and make one for pennies. If you make your own, wrap the mattress tightly, tape it up, and put a couple holes on the underside for ventilation.

We wrapped both our twins' mattresses and let them sleep in whatever position they were most comfortable - usually their stomach. At first we had them sleeping together, and separated them at about 4 months.

4. TiffanyRH

TiffanyRH Active Member

Gena, I just sent you a message with a few questions
    :)

5. weegus

weegus Well-Known Member

With much respect, there are things you can do to reduce your risk of SIDS, but it cannot be prevented. Co-sleeping is one thing that does increase the risk (remember that SIDS is not the same thing as death by suffocation). I have read a lot about outgassing of mattresses and agree that there is an issue there, but there is no known CAUSE of SIDS. My girlfriend lost her son to SIDS last year and he never spent one minute on a mattress... he passed away in a pack-n-play during his morning nap.

Chances are, your child(ren) will not die of SIDS, but understand that co-sleeping does increase the risk. Certainly, no disrespect to those parents that sleep their children together. Heck, I tried it but mine weren't having it. I also slept mine on their belly knowing it increased the risk. And I don't think I am or anyone else is a bad parent for it. But since my girlfriend lost her boy, I am VERY sensitive on the issue (maybe a little too much so!!!).

6. genagoodrow

genagoodrow Well-Known Member

So sorry about your friend's son, Meghan.

7. daisies

daisies Well-Known Member

Meghan, i think a lot of us are silently sending your friend our sympathies. I can not imagine the pain. So very sorry.

The NICU put our kids together, swaddled and touching. that is how they slept for naps and night until dd started climbing (still swaddled )over top of ds and waking him up.
    To me, the comfort they got from being together over rode the increase risk.

The thought of SIDS is terrifying. I try to make the best, most educated choices, I can for my kids and then refuse to let fear overwhelm me.

Interesting about the flame retardants in mattresses. I had not heard that, but it kinda rings true. However, SIDS (although not called that) has been around long before mattresses were treated with chemicals, so if it is a possible cause it is certainly not the only cause.

8. momof6

momof6 Well-Known Member

My babies slept together until about 7 months when they stopped being swaddled and started to roll on each other disturbing their sleep. The NICU at our hospital had a fit when they saw me put them in the same bassinet, but once they were in our room the other nurses encouraged it. Our son had trouble keeping his temp up when he was not with his sister. Once placed with her his temp kept stable. Our daughter had trouble keeping her O2 levels up alone, but next to her brother, they could take the oxygen off her. I always kept them together! Now that they are 2 they are actually getting into each others cribs to be together!

9. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

My girls slept back to back due to temp issue never an issue. But I did make sure I was a clear as possible with nothing else in the way