twins nervous about separation

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by ddancerd1, Aug 22, 2014.

1. ddancerd1

ddancerd1 Well-Known Member

so last year in NJ the girls were together in kindergarten.  when we moved back to Illinois, we stayed with my parents for the remainder of the school year, and the new school separated the girls.  it was only 2 1/2 hours, so no biggie.  but this year, they're separated... and the classes are WAY down the hall from each other, and school is almost 7 hours!!! i'm a little sad about that, and they're nervous.  they've NEVER been apart for more than the 2 1/2 hours in kindergarten.  they're so so so close...  I guess I just needed to vent.  please tell me they'll (and i'll) be ok!

2. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I have a friend whose daughters were so close.  In fact, they were so close even in utero, they had TTTS and had to have in utero surgery to fix it.  They just started 4th grade and this is the first year that they were separated.  The first day Monday of this week, one was excited about going to school, the other was sort of dreading it.  They both came home saying it was "okay."  Tuesday both cried before school and after about being separated, but Sher pushed through it and said that they have to give it a month and if it still wasn't working out, then she would try to get them together.  Wednesday morning, only one cried, yesterday neither cried and both were excited to be apart at school.  So it might be a little rough at first, but just give them a goal to get through and if it's still sucky then look into your options. 
    Oh but they'll be okay and you'll be okay.

You know that.  :wub:

3. ddancerd1

thanks!  yeah, I'm expecting tears from all 3 of us lol...  I know they're two separate people and blah blah blah... but I still see them as a special bond... to me it's like telling me to go to school without my left arm.  I think i'm gonna write the teachers a note to let them know that the girls are nervous about being separated.  but yeah, if after a month they're still having a hard time, then i'm going to look into getting them placed together. 

4. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I wanted my kids together- Reese said she wanted to be with Ryder and Ryder said he did NOT want to be with Reese-we seperated them for Kindergarten, Reese did GREAT and Ryder didnt, he even cried that he wanted to be in Reese's class-it broke my heart but by the end of the 1st month everything was great.  Ryder had the best teacher for him, as did Reese-so far this year has been good.
    They will be okay-it will be really hard at first. *hugs*

5. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

I think kids really look to their parents onto how they act.  If you are nervous, they may be.  I'm not saying this is  how it will be, or is, but keep that in mind.  Everything I've worried about has been a ton better than expected. 

1 person likes this.
  6. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

I was just coming to post the same as Jackie.  If you give the impression that you are upset or nervous, they will feed off of that.  If you build up what an opportunity it is for them to meet new friends, have sharing time at the end of the day, etc., they will be more comfortable.  Until last year, my kids never had any classes together--and at lunch they had to eat with their class until 5th grade, so they spent little time together in school.  But they got along great at home, and loved to share their day with each other.  Last year, they were together for all but 2 classes--and since they share friends, ended up eating together.  There was more bickering between them than I had ever seen, with one trying to rat out the other all the time.  This year, while having almost all the same teacher, they have totally different schedules--the only time they will be together will be lunch.  I think all of us are looking forward to it.

1 person likes this.
  7. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Mine will be separated for the first time this year and honestly, I am glad.  I don't know if it will hold for next year or not (it depends on class size and one grade could be two classes and the next year the same group of students could all be one class rather than two).  But mine are both a little nervous about it and I told them that they will be too busy at school to miss each other and will see each other in the morning before school, probably again at lunch and recess and after school.  I will send in something with both teachers just letting them know that they could be upset the first couple of days but to be patient and let them adjust.
    Especially since the first day of school, they go to their old classrooms and the teachers come to get them, so that is the day I expect the worst when they actually have to physically leave each other behind.  It's not like they will just walk into their respective classrooms which I think would be easier.  So I will talk to them about it, so they know how it's going down.  I've told them both that being in separate classrooms will be good for them because at one point or another, they cannot be together forever and they could do with sometime apart.

8. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

The girls were in separate kinder classes last year but not really. The two classes shared one large classroom with a divider and did centers together every day so actual time apart was maybe an hour or so each day. It did get them used to the idea of separate teachers and separate activities (library, computer lab) though.

They've known they're going to be in separate grade 1 classes for some time now and I've talked frequently about what that means. Just this past week, on vacation, Danika started expressing some serious doubts and misgivings about the whole thing. Mostly I just let her talk, listened and validated her feelings and then asked if she had any ideas of what she could do if she was really missing Riley during school. She brainstormed quite a few things she could do that might help her and since then hasn't mentioned any worries about being in her own class.

1 person likes this.
  9. ddancerd1

well, today is the first day.  they were so so SO excited all last night and this morning... briefly mentioning that they were nervous only about not seeing each other all day.  they both had to stand in separate lines outside of the school, and I could see they were feeling off.  they hugged each other and seemed so sad :(  I just hope their first day is awesome, and helps to keep them distracted from thinking about how they miss each other.  

10. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Dannielle-I cant wait to hear how their day went!  *hugs*

11. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Aw Dannielle- I just saw the pictures on FB.  What a sweet hug.  I hope they have a fantastic day!

12. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

Dannielle, we did our first day separated today as well. Alexis bawled and hung on Samantha like it was their last day together. Almost killed me! They were good at pick up and I'm crossing my fingers for easier days ahead.

How did it go for your girls?

13. ddancerd1

the girls have been doing great!  they get to play together at recess.  they're sad that they don't get to sit together at lunch, though.  they really miss each other, but love to tell each other about their day, and their new friends, their teacher, what they did, etc... 

i'm still sad about it, though :wacko:

14. kingeomer

Dannielle, I am glad to hear they are doing well.  This is what I am telling mine...that they will see each other at lunch and recess and they will have so much to talk about when they get home.  And they will be too busy to really miss each other at school for the most part.  I'll probably be telling my two about your girls and how well they are doing!

15. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Great that it's going well! What I really like about it is that they just get so excited to talk to each other about it, and honestly get along so much better at home when they are not together all day!

16. kingeomer

After two half days...this is what I am finding.  Mine are so excited to tell each other about their respective days, classroom antics and what not...it's very cool to see and hear.  Yesterday mine walked out of school holding hands :wub: