Twilight

Discussion in 'General' started by double-or-nothing, Nov 5, 2008.

1. caba

caba Banned

I thought the book was really great, but for me, the movie was just ok. I liked it, and I will go see them all. I'm reading the last book now ... and um, weird. But anyway, I have a really hard time loving movies about books, because without fail, the movies leave me wanting more than they could give. I also hated the casting of Rosalie. She didn't fit the part at all. And I don't think they played up how much a klutz Bella was supposed to be. She was prettier than I expected. Overall I enjoyed it ... but I would rather curl up with the book again over seeing the movie again anyday.

2. Bichon999

Bichon999 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(caba @ Dec 10 2008, 11:13 AM) [snapback]1105334[/snapback]
    I thought the book was really great, but for me, the movie was just ok. I liked it, and I will go see them all. I'm reading the last book now ... and um, weird. But anyway, I have a really hard time loving movies about books, because without fail, the movies leave me wanting more than they could give. I also hated the casting of Rosalie. She didn't fit the part at all. And I don't think they played up how much a klutz Bella was supposed to be. She was prettier than I expected. Overall I enjoyed it ... but I would rather curl up with the book again over seeing the movie again anyday.

lol, I usually can't like movies about books, either. The only things I hated were that they skipped the scene with the blood testing, when he says "I dazzle you?" and when he kisses her and she faints, and Jasper's power isn't included in the movie. :angry: . But it was over all great!

3. Bichon999

QUOTE(marcy874 @ Dec 10 2008, 10:57 AM) [snapback]1105312[/snapback]
    WhooHoo!!!! Hopefully the new director does an even better job! I loved Twilight, but there were things that could have been done better, like Melanie said. I just think she didn't have the actors portray a few scenes the way I imagined them, which is always going to happen.

:birthday: Naomi!!! Hope it was a good one!

happy birthday, Naomi!
    oh, and they had a really tight budget for the first movie, so the second one, with their gainings, should be loads better :D
    but I probably won't see it untill it comes out on video, because then I can fast forward to the end.

4. Bichon999

QUOTE(marcy874 @ Dec 10 2008, 10:59 AM) [snapback]1105314[/snapback]
    I will 2nd the YUM on Robert Pattinson!!! He's a good looking guy, but I thought he looked AMAZING in the movie!! Ohhh, I'm jealous of your 1st read of the books...you will love them!!!! I hope you don't have a busy weekend planned, because they are going to suck you in! :D

God, he's so GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I LUV YOU, EDWARD CULLEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    -sighs- you won't be able to stop reading about Edward. He dazzled me. I just finished Twilight for the eighth time, and I want to read it again soon!!!!!!
    And, might I add, Edward looked AMAZING in a tux!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. double-or-nothing

double-or-nothing Well-Known Member

QUOTE(cohlee @ Dec 10 2008, 07:08 AM) [snapback]1104996[/snapback]
    I am going to see it again tonight with my BFF who is a boy. We have a vampire thing though, we see all vampire movies together, I really do think he'll like it even though it is not the traditional vampires.

I think the fact that they are not your "traditional" vampires is what makes it so much more appealing. I know my husband loved the movie and he didn't read the books. He also likes vampire stuff and is addicted to True Blood. He looks greatly forward to seeing the next movie (though he doesn't know that there isn't much vampire stuff happening through the book but I think he will enjoy the werewolf aspect of it).

Enjoy your second viewing. I found I really enjoyed it a lot the second time. The first time, I missed certain things like SM's cameo and just little things. I was so worried the whole time about how they would pull off so much of the scenes that I felt like I missed so much.

Let us know what you thought the second time around.

NAOMI??!!?? Where are you girl?

6. Bichon999

QUOTE(double-or-nothing @ Dec 10 2008, 06:00 PM) [snapback]1106136[/snapback]
    I think the fact that they are not your "traditional" vampires is what makes it so much more appealing. I know my husband loved the movie and he didn't read the books. He also likes vampire stuff and is addicted to True Blood. He looks greatly forward to seeing the next movie (though he doesn't know that there isn't much vampire stuff happening through the book but I think he will enjoy the werewolf aspect of it).

Enjoy your second viewing. I found I really enjoyed it a lot the second time. The first time, I missed certain things like SM's cameo and just little things. I was so worried the whole time about how they would pull off so much of the scenes that I felt like I missed so much.

Let us know what you thought the second time around.
    NAOMI??!!?? Where are you girl?

Hey! Edward Cullen is definitely sexier than your average vampire!
    btw, i saw Twilight a second time and bought a team Edward shirt!

7. double-or-nothing

Check out the latest letter from SM on her website. They have officially announced that Chris Weitz will be the director for New Moon. I'm very excited about New Moon coming to life on the big screen and I sincerely hope that they have given this movie a much bigger budget than was given for twilight so that they can create the special effects that are needed to pull off this story and make it work on the big screen.

http://www.stepheniemeyer.com/

8. JDMummy

JDMummy Well-Known Member

QUOTE(double-or-nothing @ Dec 15 2008, 03:14 PM) [snapback]1111566[/snapback]
    Check out the latest letter from SM on her website. They have officially announced that Chris Weitz will be the director for New Moon. I'm very excited about New Moon coming to life on the big screen and I sincerely hope that they have given this movie a much bigger budget than was given for twilight so that they can create the special effects that are needed to pull off this story and make it work on the big screen.

http://www.stepheniemeyer.com/

Mel, thanks for posting about that! I have been checking on her website to find out more about New Moon almost daily. Did you see the picture of her and Seth Green? LOVED that one! :wub:

9. double-or-nothing

QUOTE(Sarah© @ Dec 15 2008, 07:37 PM) [snapback]1111876[/snapback]
    Mel, thanks for posting about that! I have been checking on her website to find out more about New Moon almost daily. Did you see the picture of her and Seth Green? LOVED that one! :wub:

Where Sarah? I can't find it.

10. marcy874

marcy874 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(double-or-nothing @ Dec 15 2008, 08:42 PM) [snapback]1112036[/snapback]
    Where Sarah? I can't find it.

Melanie-Its the 2nd picture on the ones she linked from the Twilight premiere below the letter from Chris. I thought the letter from him to the fans was a really cool thing to do. That doesn't seem very common place for a director to do. He seems to get how in love everyone is with this story. I'm even more excited about New Moon now!!

11. cohlee

cohlee Well-Known Member

Did you see that according to People article that Taylor Lautner has not been confirmed as Jacob for New Moon yet? And they are planning on releasing it Nov 20, 2009. :eek:

12. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

QUOTE(cohlee @ Dec 16 2008, 07:11 PM) [snapback]1113153[/snapback]
    Did you see that according to People article that Taylor Lautner has not been confirmed as Jacob for New Moon yet? And they are planning on releasing it Nov 20, 2009. :eek:

I heard that too Cohlee, that would sadden me. Apparently they don't think he'll grow as big as Jacob requires to be and the studio is being stubborn about having to pay more for special effects in order to do so. It's called acting! Let him do the part, folks! Not to get off topic but John Rhys Davies was the tallest member of the Fellowship in LOTR and played a dwarf!!!!
    http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2008/12/twilight-sequel.html

Edited to add the link to the story...

13. marcy874

QUOTE(cohlee @ Dec 16 2008, 06:11 PM) [snapback]1113153[/snapback]

I saw that last night on E! News, but didn't hear why. That's too bad, he was really growing on me. Have him stand on boxes, use different camera angles...don't they do that all the time??? I saw some of the replacements they're talking about and didn't really care for either of them.

14. Luckydoll

Luckydoll New Member

:laughing: I am new here, but I had to jump on this post!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Love Twilight! And I will definitly jump on that "Edward it hot" bandwagon (can I drive??) I just saw the movie the second time, and I agree that it is so much better the second time. There are things that I was bummed that they left out or changed (the meadow scene) but movies about books never do them justice.

I just can't wait for the next movie. I heard it is set to release late 2009/early2010. I will be counting the days.

It will be fun getting to know you guys. Have a wonderful day!

15. Bichon999

QUOTE(luckydoll @ Dec 17 2008, 11:47 AM) [snapback]1113892[/snapback]
    :laughing: I am new here, but I had to jump on this post!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Love Twilight! And I will definitly jump on that "Edward it hot" bandwagon (can I drive??) I just saw the movie the second time, and I agree that it is so much better the second time. There are things that I was bummed that they left out or changed (the meadow scene) but movies about books never do them justice.

I just can't wait for the next movie. I heard it is set to release late 2009/early2010. I will be counting the days.

It will be fun getting to know you guys. Have a wonderful day!

lol, fun to get to know you. I'm Evelyn, and I am a twilightaholic! I'm in love with a fictional vampire named Edward Cullen. (OME, I LUV U, EDWARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), i don't care for jacob black :angry: , I own a Team Edward t-shirt, I've read Twilight eight times, I own it in spanish, and I've seen Twilight twice. I've read New Moon thrice and Eclipse four times, and Breaking Dawn once. I also have an enormous Twilight poster by my bed, and an Edward Cullen key chain attached to my purse. mmhm, basically, I'm obsessed.
    Robert Pattinson is a hunk of man candy!!! sorry...and Edward Cullen is even hotter... ;) ok, I'm really sorry, I couldn't help myself -sighs-

16. Bichon999

QUOTE(cohlee @ Dec 16 2008, 07:11 PM) [snapback]1113153[/snapback]

UGH, I don't even want to THINK about New Moon. -sniffles-
    ANYWAYS, they better not replace the weanie, Taylor Lautner with some hunk or I'll be very very mad :angry:

17. double-or-nothing

Hey Luckydoll, welcome :)

Are you new to the site in the preggers with twins, first year or 1-4? In any event, welcome to Twinstuff and almost as important...the Twilight thread :lol:

Look forward to sharing your thoughts on all things Twilight (of course when I say Twilight, I mean the whole series ;) )

18. cohlee

cohlee Well-Known Member

:cry: He cut his hair!

19. JDMummy

It's too short. :( But I also thought it was getting a little too long too. Somewhere in the middle would be nice again. He is still beautiful! :wub:

20. double-or-nothing

I actually think I like it better :unknw: but I would like to see how he looks without the sunglasses. I thought the haircut he had before (the one there) looked extremely weird. Don't get me wrong, I love various hairstyles but that just looked a tiny bit off to me.

21. double-or-nothing

I just want to say a special

[SIZE=24pt]MERRY HOLIDAYS[/SIZE] to all my special Twilight friends here at TS. May your holiday be filled with much happiness!

22. JDMummy

QUOTE(double-or-nothing @ Dec 24 2008, 09:40 AM) [snapback]1121359[/snapback]

[SIZE=24pt]MERRY HOLIDAYS[/SIZE] to all my special Twilight friends here at TS. May your holiday be filled with much happiness!

Same to you Melanie!

23. double-or-nothing

Happy Holidays all,

I just HAD to post this now! It is Christmas morning, kids are now playing with their gazillion new toys but I have to say I got the best present of all. Dh bought me an MP3 player which is totally awesome but doesn't come close to the other gift he got me...

a huge, painted picture of Twilight!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's the picture that you see on the billboards with Edward and Bella in the middle and Rosalie and Jasper on one side and Alice and Emmette on the other. OMG I'm so excited!!!! My husband totally rocks!!!! He loves me, he really loves me.

Not only that but HE suggested we can hang it above the bed!!!!!! Oh dear me Lord. I'm too excited. How do I ever top that gift? TFF

Also, I have made a promise to myself that if my book ever becomes a success I will attribute my inspiration to SM and I will get a tattoo of something twilight related.

Anyway, just had to share. I will post pics as soon as I get a chance. Man, my hubby is so going to be rewarded for his awesomeness tonight!!!!!!!!!!

24. double-or-nothing

Okay, just too much. He surprised me with a second picture. So now I have two huge poster/paintings. I also got the one that was my avatar before with Edward over Bella where his eyes are amber. Yum Oh!

25. JDMummy

Ok, I am pretty jealous Mel! How awesome! :banana:

26. Bichon999

QUOTE(double-or-nothing @ Dec 24 2008, 09:40 AM) [snapback]1121359[/snapback]

Happy Holidays!!!!!!!!!!!!

27. Bichon999

QUOTE(double-or-nothing @ Dec 25 2008, 07:45 PM) [snapback]1122087[/snapback]
    Okay, just too much. He surprised me with a second picture. So now I have two huge poster/paintings. I also got the one that was my avatar before with Edward over Bella where his eyes are amber. Yum Oh!

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, you are SUPER lucky!!!! I only have an Edward and Bella poster, An Edward and Bella key-chain, a Team Edward t-shirt and that's it!!! I want more Edward Cullen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE YOU, EDWARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    IF YOU EVER READ THIS, YOU SHOULD TOTALLY DUMP BELLA, SHE CHEATED ON YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SHE DOESN'T DESERVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    -clears throat- sorry for that little outburst. ANYWAYS, merry Christmas, Happy Chanuka, and Happy Qwanza to everybody!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

28. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

Forgive me, I totally forgot this board was here....so I'm just now seeing this! I haven't read through the thread yet -- nine pages, egad -- but I liked the movie much more than I thought I would. I was afraid it would be horribly cheesy (sparkly vampires, indeed), but it was fairly well done.

Bella was cast perfectly, although Kristen Stewart played her a little more wry than I pictured her in the book. I didn't like Robert Pattinson as Edward, though. I thought I would after seeing the previews, but I dunno, he didn't seem to fit the role. He overplayed it a bit (like the scene where he first encounters Bella in biology). And it always sounds weird to hear a British guy doing an American accent (albeit one from the early 1900's). And is it just me, or does he walk funny? :D

Bella's dad was definitely a standout character....

I'm trying to get DH to read the book before seeing the movie, and he's trying to get me into Friday Night Lights, so we're sort of at an impasse, LOL. And, my MIL just read the book while visiting over Christmas, and she hated it. Oh, well -- I don't think she has a romantic bone in her body!

ETA -- sorry if I repeated anything -- now I'll go back and read the thread!

29. Bichon999

QUOTE(Becca34 @ Dec 28 2008, 08:31 PM) [snapback]1124193[/snapback]
    Forgive me, I totally forgot this board was here....so I'm just now seeing this! I haven't read through the thread yet -- nine pages, egad -- but I liked the movie much more than I thought I would. I was afraid it would be horribly cheesy (sparkly vampires, indeed), but it was fairly well done.

Bella was cast perfectly, although Kristen Stewart played her a little more wry than I pictured her in the book. I didn't like Robert Pattinson as Edward, though. I thought I would after seeing the previews, but I dunno, he didn't seem to fit the role. He overplayed it a bit (like the scene where he first encounters Bella in biology). And it always sounds weird to hear a British guy doing an American accent (albeit one from the early 1900's). And is it just me, or does he walk funny? :D

I'm trying to get DH to read the book before seeing the movie, and he's trying to get me into Friday Night Lights, so we're sort of at an impasse, LOL. And, my MIL just read the book while visiting over Christmas, and she hated it. Oh, well -- I don't think she has a romantic bone in her body!

gasp! shame on her for not liking Twilight. She must be crazy! I luv Romantic stories, ESPECIALLY Twilight.

A mother says to her daughter "One day a man will take your heart"
    The daughter replies "Nay, if ever my heart be taken, may it be taken by a gentleman"

30. marcy874

QUOTE(double-or-nothing @ Dec 25 2008, 07:16 AM) [snapback]1121941[/snapback]
    Happy Holidays all,

I just HAD to post this now! It is Christmas morning, kids are now playing with their gazillion new toys but I have to say I got the best present of all. Dh bought me an MP3 player which is totally awesome but doesn't come close to the other gift he got me...
    a huge, painted picture of Twilight!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's the picture that you see on the billboards with Edward and Bella in the middle and Rosalie and Jasper on one side and Alice and Emmette on the other. OMG I'm so excited!!!! My husband totally rocks!!!! He loves me, he really loves me.

Not only that but HE suggested we can hang it above the bed!!!!!! Oh dear me Lord. I'm too excited. How do I ever top that gift? TFF

Also, I have made a promise to myself that if my book ever becomes a success I will attribute my inspiration to SM and I will get a tattoo of something twilight related.

Anyway, just had to share. I will post pics as soon as I get a chance. Man, my hubby is so going to be rewarded for his awesomeness tonight!!!!!!!!!!

Melanie, your DH sounds like a keeper!!! :good: That is too funny! I love Twilight, but I never thought of having it over my bed...I do have a window there though... ;) No way would my DH want to look at Twilight everyday!!

31. double-or-nothing

QUOTE(Becca34 @ Dec 28 2008, 08:31 PM) [snapback]1124193[/snapback]

Hey Becca,

Never too late to join the Twilight family. It's an exponentially growing one! LOL Anyway, I agree with much of what you said. I thought Kristen played the character a little more angry than I pictured but overall, she fit the character very well. I did like Robertson as Edward (didn't at first) but I also agree that he overacted that biology scene. Made it more comical than that scene should have been. I hated when people would laugh at scenes that were not meant to be funny in the book. It's also funny that you mention the way he walked. I totally noticed that too. The scene when he walked away from Bella in the hallway by the lockers. It looked just weird. I would have expected him to walk with perfect posture and a little more gracefully but oh well. These are minor complaints for a movie that ended up being much better than my expectations. I look forward to seeing what the next director does with the New Moon. I can't wait. I hope they film them back to back so that we don't have to wait so long for Eclipse.

As for your MIL, hmmm...strange. I have never heard anyone not liking this book but I guess I haven't come across anyone from the older generation who has read the book. To each his own I guess. Too bad for her, right?

QUOTE(marcy874 @ Dec 29 2008, 11:20 AM) [snapback]1124848[/snapback]
    Melanie, your DH sounds like a keeper!!! :good: That is too funny! I love Twilight, but I never thought of having it over my bed...I do have a window there though... ;) No way would my DH want to look at Twilight everyday!!

Hahaha, ya think? He rocks. dh really liked the movie. funny thing is, I think he's got a crush on Alice LOL. Who could blame him though, she totally rocks!!!

32. JDMummy

I am full into Eclipse right now (which I interrupted to finish watching Heroes on Netflix-- last episode tonight!) but I love it! All the back stories on the tribe is awesome!

And I agree Billy Burke was a perfect casting for Charlie! I see him when I am reading the books! :lol:

33. Daseechain

Daseechain Well-Known Member

I am also late to jumping on the Twilight bandwagon...My mom gave me the books for Christmas and it has only taken me a day each to read the first two books. How can yout not fall in love with the characters? :p It is so crazy, I agree with the comment that reading this brings out the feelings of young love and the excitement, it is so true! I saw the movie last night, I was so excited to get a babysitter and see it (my DH is deployed) and thought the movie was pretty good. I was a little disappointed with the chemistry between Bella and Edward, I thought Kristen Stewart's acting was a little awkward. I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED Alice!!! I also really liked Robert Pattinson, he is such a hottie! :girl_devil: I didn't even realize that he played Cedric in HP.

Well, I am on to read the third book, I am so sad that I am halfway done reading the series. I can't get enough of it! I wonder if they are filming in Portland again? I do live in Washington, not far from Port Angeles and Forks. It would be neat to go down and watch filming.

Sara

34. JDMummy

QUOTE(Daseechain @ Jan 2 2009, 01:03 PM) [snapback]1130143[/snapback]
    Well, I am on to read the third book, I am so sad that I am halfway done reading the series. I can't get enough of it! I wonder if they are filming in Portland again? I do live in Washington, not far from Port Angeles and Forks. It would be neat to go down and watch filming.

Sara

Sara I was late into it too! I am sad that I just finished the third book. Once I read Breaking Dawn, I know I will feel like did after HP Deathly Hallows. :cry: So sad to see it over.... glad there are movies coming out for both series though. :banana: Something to look forward too!

35. Daseechain

Daseechain Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Sarah© @ Jan 3 2009, 04:51 AM) [snapback]1130839[/snapback]
    Sara I was late into it too! I am sad that I just finished the third book. Once I read Breaking Dawn, I know I will feel like did after HP Deathly Hallows. :cry: So sad to see it over.... glad there are movies coming out for both series though. :banana: Something to look forward too!

It's crazy I know all of the emotions you're going through! It is such a great love story. This is a series of books that I could definitely see myself reading over and over again. Thank goodness we have the movies to look forward to, I just wish we wouldn't have to wait so long! I am not the most patient person.... LOL :p

Sara